Notices

Car not starting after taking off distributor cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting after taking off distributor cap

I took off the distributor cap for my 1991 base model civic because I was trying to replace it and the rotor. The screw for the rotor wasn’t accessible from the position it was in, so I tried to turn it to see if I could make the screw more accessible. It gave a little, but that seemed to be because it was slightly loose (I didn’t force it hard or anything).
I decided to try to bump the engine so I put the cap back on and re-attached the battery, which I had taken off to access the bottom screw of the cap. I tried to start the car, but it had no effect except for the electronics turning on. I heard a small whirring sound come from the engine, but that was it.
All I can think of is that the spark plug wires might not be connecting well, because I had to pull the connectors on the cap end out of their insulation with pliers. I bent some of them slightly during the process. I bent them back in to place after though, and they seemed to click into place on the cap.
I’m gonna try to take everything off and put it back on again, so I’m sure it’s not because of something being installed wrong, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by Alexander Smets; 06-22-2019 at 03:56 PM.