Notices

Car dies when gas goes below 1/4 tank help! SEARCHED!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car dies when gas goes below 1/4 tank help! SEARCHED!!

I'm glad I ran across this post. I recently purchased a 90 civic hatch. The guy I got it from told that when he brought it home it died on him and he had to tow it home. He said it was out of gas. I drove it and it did fine. But now it is acting up again right at a half tank. So I am going to start with this first.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Trial User

I will post either way. I just hope this is all that is wrong with it. But for $600 I knew I would have to put some work into it.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE!!!!!!

thanks to sumdewd, the new fuel strainer part # FS121 brand: Airtex has fixed my issue with the car dying around 1/4 tank!!!! If you're having the same problem, this is the fix!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome, great to hear it. Maybe we can spread the word of this fix in hopes that it saves people from spending several hundred on the OEM pump. And do keep in mind, if it ever starts to stall again like before, the strainer likely fell out or broke apart. That's happened to me once before.

Edit: Your original post says it's for an 1985 CRX. It's for the 1988 CRX DX.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will be sure to change it!

Thanks again! It saved me some massive headaches!!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Trial User

UPDATE!! I recently got the new strainer installed, and now I am getting down to a 1/4 tank. It's not dying anymore. The furthest I've been so far is 291 miles on a tank, as opposed to about 100 before. So thanks to sumdewd!! I appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 bump for good fix

thanks sumdewd.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you guys think this fix will work with a 91 CRX? It looks like the parts and systems are similar within the EF Civic generation.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe this works for any of the 4th generation Civics. Sedan, Wagon, CRX, Hatchback. Only one way to find out, and it's better than replacing a 300$ fuel pump.

Before you rip the tank out, though, check all of the other items listed and make sure you don't have a clogged fuel filter or bad main relay or something. It really is alot of work to drop the tank for the first time to check the strainer.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've already gone and replaced the fuel filter, the main relay is also fairly new. Gotta drop the tank anyway to check all the lines. My CRX won't pass the gas tank pressure test part of the smog test. It looks like the previous owner dropped the tank to change the pump but didn't put it back together right. so I figured while its already down i check the strainer.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't forget simple things like the gas cap. I believe the fuel pump strainer really only makes the car stall very early into the tank.

You could also have bad fuel lines going from the top of the pump, though.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sumdewd
If you don't have a problem with your fuel gauge, this will likely fix your problem.

I made an account just to reply with how I fixed my stalling problem whenever I had a half tank or less. First off, all of the aftermarket filter socks are worthless and don't match up or even go the right direction. The filter sock in a Civic/CRX needs to go forward, even the exploded diagram for the fuel pump shows it going to the front of the car:

Only the FS121 filter sock for the 1988 CRX DX is the one that stopped my problem, and I have a 90 Si. Like you, I tried a new fuel pump, new gas tank, new fuel line and nothing fixed it except for buying the fuel sock.

This is the sock that I am using now:
http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-FS121-F.../dp/B000ZN044Y

I can drive 280 miles and fill up for 10.5 gallons without stalling. I haven't dared to go any farther. My gauge sits in the middle of the red mark when I fill up.

Either buy the FS121 filter sock or buy the whole OEM pump assembly. I've been driving for a year now and filling up with 10-11 gallons with zero issues.

If I am breaking any rules, let me know. I am fairly new to posting here.

PS: I don't have a Walbro pump, I have a generic parts store replacement fuel pump. I'm not sure if the Walbro pump is different and won't let you use the FS121 sock.
i do not agree with this fix unless i am missing something here....i have a 90 civic dx hatch and i am having the same issue...i ordered part number fs121 and i am supposed to get it this friday...well in the meantime i got to looking at the old sock and noticed that the mounting tab is located on the right side..the new sock has the tab mounted on the left...now my question is how is this going to work and would there be a alternative sock for my vehicle? could it be my pump setup or what? would the ac delco ts71 be more suitable? i hope someone can clear this up for me...thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by piercings4_u
i do not agree with this fix unless i am missing something here....i have a 90 civic dx hatch and i am having the same issue...i ordered part number fs121 and i am supposed to get it this friday...well in the meantime i got to looking at the old sock and noticed that the mounting tab is located on the right side..the new sock has the tab mounted on the left...now my question is how is this going to work and would there be a alternative sock for my vehicle? could it be my pump setup or what? would the ac delco ts71 be more suitable? i hope someone can clear this up for me...thanks

ok, i feel pretty dumb right now........after looking over many pictures on google and frying my brain it finally donned on me that part number fs121 is in fact the correct sock to order to correct the problem i have been having like everyone else...the reason that little mounting tab is on the opposite (left) side is because when you mount it to your pump it should get that sock turned so its facing forward like it needs to be....i will post again after i get the part on friday and test my theory.....stay tuned....
Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by piercings4_u
ok, i feel pretty dumb right now........after looking over many pictures on google and frying my brain it finally donned on me that part number fs121 is in fact the correct sock to order to correct the problem i have been having like everyone else...the reason that little mounting tab is on the opposite (left) side is because when you mount it to your pump it should get that sock turned so its facing forward like it needs to be....i will post again after i get the part on friday and test my theory.....stay tuned....
UPDATE!! part number fs121 did in fact fix the problem...i installed it and the car fired right up without adding any gas to the tank...this is the true fix!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Civic Si is still filling up for 10-11 gallons and going 300ish miles on a tank. Thanks for replying that the filter fixed your problem!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was having this problem when I first bought my 91 Si. Going to work after a weekend, about 150 miles away. Started sputtering as I had arrived (a little over half tank) but when i went left for work, made it a few miles down the freeway and it stalled, just under half tank, leaving me very late for work.

Finally got around to fixing it, just ordered a walbro complete fuel pump assembly, someone said it's loud, but i don't mind it, reassurance that it isn't dead! Regardless, has since solved my problem, as it came with it's own sock.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OH MY GOD! im so happy i stumbled upon this thread! i have been stumper by this problem for 3 years and was considering replacing my entire fuel system with my return money haha... i will forsure try this part and will respond with any news as im sure the rest of us will haha.

thanks sumdewd for the info!!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just ordered mine! haha
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this helped me last month. Last owner installed junk *** fuel sock strainer facing up.
kept dying out on hills on half tank.
Bought this and everything went smooth.
Even went below the Redline.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the love of all that is holy thank you for this info! Ordered the sock and installed it yesterday! Then I proceeded to run the tank dry with it!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Trial User

I have an 89 integra which does exactly the same thing, (Not acura) do they have a fuel sock and if so how would I replace it.. When its over half or near half it runs fine..
Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you solved it, I was going to say if it wasnt the sock,check the two way valve that lets air into the tank to eliminate vacuum as the fuel level drops
Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stumbled upon this while searching for a fix to the Walbro fuel starvation issue. I think I'll use the OEM sock on the Walbro pump. I'm running a 93 accord. And other manufactures put their pump in a canister which is also filled/filling with fuel at the same time. So if the car rocks around with 1/4 of gas then the fuel in the canister still feeds the pump (J-body for example).

But those using a Walbro pump with this canister type system must run a T fitting after the main fuel output line to supply fuel to the canister that the pump sits in. I don't believe Honda has a "canister" of such.

Quick Reply: Car dies when gas goes below 1/4 tank help! SEARCHED!!