Notices

can i keep spare battery in car? or will it die?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i keep spare battery in car? or will it die?

something i was wondering about cause i have a battery that is'nt being used and it was tested as good at the autoparts store.

so is there some way i can keep that battery in my car as a spare for when the main one goes out ??? or would it die after a certain amount of time or drain???

is there some kind of little mini charger or device you can have hooked to it to keep it alive ??? or any other information on keeping a battery alive that is'nt being used in a car ???

thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: can i keep spare battery in car? or will it die?

I am a little confused about the question. If you are asking if the battery, not hooked up, will drain in your car then the answer is no. The battery sitting by itself does have some internal resistance, but a car battery will sit for a really really long time not hooked up without any problem.

If you are asking if the battery which is good, but will go into your car hooked up, but will then sit for a long time without being used, then yes it will go dead after probably a year or more. it sounds like you are looking for a trickle charger. They are about $10 at harbor freight, maybe a few bucks more at summitracing.com. With a trickle charger, you plug it in to the wall, then hook it up to your battery, and it will maintain the batteries charge pretty much for as long as you could need.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the reply, you gave me the exact answer,

and btw i did mean just a battery not hooked to a car.

what happened is my car would'nt start and jumping did'nt work, and i only had a year old battery in but only thing i could think of trying is to buy a brand new battery, so i got the new one and put it in and it still did'nt start, but a friend found the problem and my clutch-safety switch was bad (makes you have to press clutch to start car), so he bypassed my clutch-safety switch so i just start car without having to press the clutch in.

so then i had the other battery that was originally in the car before buying the new one tested at the auto store, they tested it as all good, so thats why i have a good second one, and i just did'nt want to put it to waste.

but i guess i can get trickle charger and put it on and leave at home so next time i need a battery i don't have to buy one and just go home and get the spare one on the trickle charger. cause i just know how often i seem to have battery stuff happen, due to weather, or my stereo system or stuff draining it etc.... so it would just feel good to know i have a second one available.

thnx
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as its not in direct sunlight.. And make sure that it does not tip over. You should be ok
Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM

shouldnt die...how you think they keep all the batterys goin @ vatozone