Notices

Building my first ls vtec

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building my first ls vtec

Hello, so i just pulled my motor out of 91 hatch. someones been talking **** about my car and hes got a mazda speed 3 that he bought previously built, its a quick little car but i need to prove him wrong. Anyways, I have a b18b1 right now also have a b18b bottom end and block, which would be better for this build? is there even any difference in the block or is it all in the piston and rod length. I am planning on running eagle rods probably weisco pistons arp head studs and rod bolts. I am debating on what head to use, either the b16 or the gsr. I heard the gsr has a slightly tighter tolerance and is less likely to have detonation but it is alot closer to the piston so you gotta watch your tolerance. I have a skunk 2 intake manifold i bought used thinking it would fit on my b18b1 but it did not im going to assume its either a b16 or a gsr manifold. I may just run with whatever fits my manifold. I am going to need to buy new valve seals, bearings, i heard a gsr waterpump is better because it spins slower. probably new valve springs and retainers. golden eagle ls vtec kit with a different head gasket. I am shooting for around 350 hp but i wont complain about more but I do not plan on sleaving my block. I have a ram horn turbo manifold and am planning on buying a t3 t4 to run with it. What compression ratio should I be shooting for? If anyone with a bit more knowledge on hondas can help me piece together the parts I need for this build it would be very much appreciated. Is it even worth it to build a b18 or should I just go with a h22 so I can shoot for higher numbers.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building my first ls vtec

I will obviously need bigger injectors and probably a walaboro fuel pump. chipped ecu too so I can tune it. anybody know of any good tutorials on tuning? i get the concept of it just shooting for the optimum air fuel ratio but theirs alot too it.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your goals can be had on a non VTEC head, why complicate matters with the whole LSVTEC thing? Just build the bottom end, turbo, tune it right and enjoy your 350 or so horses.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like over complicating things