Notices

broken valve cover bolt D15b

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken valve cover bolt D15b

i have a 91 si hatch with a d15b vtec. while changin the valve cover gasket it happened. the upper left valve cover bolt snapped at the end. doh.! its broke off flush with the head. anyone had to remove one of these broken bolts before? need some ideas before i try to drill it out. right now i just tightened the other 4 and sealed the broken bolt head on the cover with hondabond to keep oil from flyin out the hole.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: broken valve cover bolt D15b

Those studs can be removed without tapping or whatever. Honda already thought about if this were to happen it should be removed with ease. at the end of each valve cover stud will be the HEX shape bolt, you can use a deep socket or open end wrench (forgot the size) and break it loose.
refer to these pictures.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef yu
Those studs can be removed without tapping or whatever. Honda already thought about if this were to happen it should be removed with ease. at the end of each valve cover stud will be the HEX shape bolt, you can use a deep socket or open end wrench (forgot the size) and break it loose.
refer to these pictures.

UMMM i have no clue what engine that is in the picture buut that cylinder head is not like my sohc D15b engine. dohc b series engines have studs on the cam caps yes and thats an easy fix buuuut i have a single cam which uses BOLTS that thread into the head. not studs.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
UMMM i have no clue what engine that is in the picture buut that cylinder head is not like my sohc D15b engine. dohc b series engines have studs on the cam caps yes and thats an easy fix buuuut i have a single cam which uses BOLTS that thread into the head. not studs.
I did this in my D15B, not what the DOHC said, but I broke the valve cover bolt. My mechanic told me to bore it out, but that did not work. I had to end up unbolting the rocker arm assembly bracket and swap it out from another head.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take a picture because your information is a bit confusing. how far did it break? and YES YOU CAN REMOVE IT LIKE THE POSTED PICTURE ABOVE. i have done it many time. the picture above is a K series but those bolts where the arrows are pointing are identical to the sohc valve cover bolts/stud.

If the WHOLE thing broke off, use a easy out tool to remove the broken bolt.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef yu
take a picture because your information is a bit confusing. how far did it break? and YES YOU CAN REMOVE IT LIKE THE POSTED PICTURE ABOVE. i have done it many time. the picture above is a K series but those bolts where the arrows are pointing are identical to the sohc valve cover bolts/stud.

If the WHOLE thing broke off, use a easy out tool to remove the broken bolt.
MY D15B uses bolts that thread into the head. the tip of one of these bolts broke off inside the threaded hole located on the head. if they were studs it wouldnt be much of a problem to repair.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
MY D15B uses bolts that thread into the head. the tip of one of these bolts broke off inside the threaded hole located on the head. if they were studs it wouldnt be much of a problem to repair.
Pictures!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this isnt my engine. i have already put the valve cover back on so i can drive to work. here is how my cylinder head looks. the tip of one of the bolts next to the arrow broke off inside the threaded hole in the upper left

Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use a easy-out tool.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Trial User

Hey everybody,

I, being an idiot, tightened my front driver side bolt down too much and snapped it. Would it be safe to drive yet if i clamp down the front driver side corner of the valve cover with some vice-grips?
Old 07-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Trial User

hey man i just had the same issue take a hammer and tap and start tapping away at an angle so as to unscrew the bolt that is stuck in the head