Notices

Best way to do a DIY port and polish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to do a DIY port and polish?

So i'm about to take off my head today and I'm thinking that I might as well port it while it's off and sitting there, and I was wondering what the best way to port and polish a head yourself is? I've seen people just use a wire brush and rag with a sharpie, marking off the parts they want to get rid of, and it's come out smooth as hell.

And I've also seen some other people use power tools to do it, i'm a little sketchy about the power tool thing, and i know that it's all arbitrary without a flow bench, but a little porting and polishing done well couldn't hurt.

Just wondering what are some of the ways yall have done it.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (NegativeXero)

well what engine do u have, sohc can benifit but b16 heads already flow good enough, if u have a gsr swap that head for the b16 as it flows alot better, honestly i wouldnt recomend doing it yourself unless your know what your doing, you go to deep and your s.o.l
Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (mycrx7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycrx7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well what engine do u have, sohc can benifit but b16 heads already flow good enough, if u have a gsr swap that head for the b16 as it flows alot better, honestly i wouldnt recomend doing it yourself unless your know what your doing, you go to deep and your s.o.l</TD></TR></TABLE>

man do not post if you don't know what you are talking about the b18c head flows better it has ben flow tested and proven do your homework before advice here is the link https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1767009 and as for diy port and Polish don't do it ether save your money and pay to get it done right or don't do it i have seen many diy heads lose power over stock so if you don't want that don't do it
Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (masterbuilder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by masterbuilder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as for diy port and Polish don't do it ether save your money and pay to get it done right or don't do it i have seen many diy heads lose power over stock so if you don't want that don't do it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (CRX Toad)

shut your face you ignorant fool gsr heads flow like ****, b16 head is where its at get your **** straight and dont run your mouth kid. i talk from experience you talk from your ***. let me guess u think a gsr flows better cause its on a 1.8L muhhahahahahah idiot.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b 16 flows better all day
why do you think people have ls vtec with b16 head
im agreing with (mycrx7)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (red_crx_89)

I also have to side with mycrx7... even Honda uses an head nearly identical to the B16 for the ITR motor... So Honda sides with mycrx7. Are you disagreeing with Honda?

As for the OP, it really couldn't hurt to smooth it out and shave of a little 'excess' metal, but obviously it's smarter to have a professional do it.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycrx7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shut your face you ignorant fool gsr heads flow like ****, b16 head is where its at get your **** straight and dont run your mouth kid. i talk from experience you talk from your ***. let me guess u think a gsr flows better cause its on a 1.8L muhhahahahahah idiot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he is talking about the B18C = ITR head which does flow better than the B16 or GSR.

"Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and erase all doubt"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RockinthEFhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also have to side with mycrx7... even Honda uses an head nearly identical to the B16 for the ITR motor... So Honda sides with mycrx7. Are you disagreeing with Honda?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ITR head is similar to B16 however the ITR head stock can handle more CFM than a stock B16 head.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think he is talking about the B18C = ITR head which does flow better than the B16 or GSR. </TD></TR></TABLE>
We were clearly speaking of the GSR B18C<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycrx7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u have a gsr...</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycrx7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shut your face you ignorant fool gsr heads flow like ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (RockinthEFhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by masterbuilder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

man do not post if you don't know what you are talking about the b18c head flows better it has ben flow tested and proven do your homework before advice here is the link https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1767009 and as for diy port and Polish don't do it ether save your money and pay to get it done right or don't do it i have seen many diy heads lose power over stock so if you don't want that don't do it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Look RockinthEFhatch I don't care what mycrx7 is saying cause he is wrong and unfortunately so are you. Masterbuilder is saying ITR not GSR. Now you and he are off on the GSR tangent when he is speaking of ITR. Just get the facts straight that is all I am asking.

ITR Head &gt; GSR or B16 (in stock form)

Sigh what is it lately with HT everyone getting all crazy and upset. Good heavens we are all here for the same thing. We can debate and disagree with out going all crazy. (Not directed at RockinthEFhatch)
Old 02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Look RockinthEFhatch I don't care what mycrx7 is saying cause he is wrong and unfortunately so are you. Masterbuilder is saying ITR not GSR. Now you and he are off on the GSR tangent when he is speaking of ITR. Just get the facts straight that is all I am asking.

ITR Head &gt; GSR or B16 (in stock form)

Sigh what is it lately with HT everyone getting all crazy and upset. Good heavens we are all here for the same thing. We can debate and disagree with out going all crazy. (Not directed at RockinthEFhatch)</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no question the ITR head is the best, however, even the link Masterbuilder provided is showing the flow chart of a GSR head compared to a B16 head. I wasn't trying to "start" something I was just merely stating that it was clear the GSR head was the topic at hand. And you are very correct about everyone on HT having too much sand in their vagina lately.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (RockinthEFhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RockinthEFhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And you are very correct about everyone on HT having too much sand in their vagina lately.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so... lets get back onto the TOPIC!!!!!!!!
DIY port & polish... if you DO decide to do it, what do you guys who HAVE done it, suggest?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92civicfreak)

itr head is a pos we are all on a budget here lets get real, y spend so much more on a ooo bling bling type r head yea wow jerk me off, b16 head with ctr intake manifold and ctr cams owns and its cheaper. either way honda dohc vtec heads flow rather well compared to many other auto makers.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92civicfreak)

what i did to a z6 head for a friend. Cleaned all the carbon out of the head with a die grinder and dremel (same thing, one uses air one uses electricity) and a paint remover wheel. It is like wires covered in tar or some ****. I cleaned all the carbon out all over the head, making usre to do the best i could. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, and if tons of stuff is flying around, wear a respirator. I wore a respy cause he had tons of carbon.

I did his with the vlaves in so i was sure not to hit the valve seats and scuff them. Once intake is clean, move on. DO NOT mess with the intake side other than cleaning if not a pro. (atleast i wont since i am not a pro) You want it rough to an extent so the air tumbles. Onto the exhaust side. I used a sort of fine "sand paper" wheel on my dremel to smooth the metal. I also used scotch brite wheels which work far better IMO. Dont remove much, just enough to smooth out the surface and eliminate that cast like look/feel. It takes patience, and let the high rpms do the work, dont try and push hard and speed it up, you will get uneven results in a ripple look when done where you wen ttoo deep in spots. Once it is smooth, get some rubbing compound and polishing/buffing wheels for you diegrinder. Use all the rubbing compound you want until it is decently reflective. I also used mothers polish to make it where i could actually read the serial number of the diegrinder in the reflection off the exhaust ports.

Then clean all shaving out and compund and or polish. dont get the rubbing compound on your valve seats as i would imagine it cant be good for them since it is like fine sand in a paste. (NOTE: i can not officially back this up)

I am not a professional and only tell you my way of doing this. I am not liable if you screw yourself over trying anything i told you to do. I may be *** backwards from what the pros say to do, i may not. I just know that when i had my fourstroke racebike cylinder head professionally ported and polished, the exhaust ports were mirror like. the intake just had the cast seams removed and the bumps knocked down a little, but still there. this was done my the factory race team at Honda of Troy. I tried to just make a bigger version of this for my friend, and plan to do it for my car. I have two spare y8 heads that are carboned up i may practice more on.

Last tip. Buy lots of carb clean to spray everything out with when done, and also dont be cheap with the dremel accesories. will only cost more in the long run. more expensive ones usually last longer. I have bought the most expensive, cheapest, and in between die grinder wheels and wont buy anything but the "in between" priced ones now. cheap are cheap, and super expensive get burnt up anyway, if you understand what i am trying to say. Have fun, and wear eye protection.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my bro did his own port and on his 87 civic SI...and it was significantly slower afterwards. Definitley not worth
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (FIGARILA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FIGARILA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my bro did his own port and on his 87 civic SI...and it was significantly slower afterwards. Definitley not worth </TD></TR></TABLE>

obviously done wrong. plain and simple.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (gator88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gator88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

obviously done wrong. plain and simple. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you thats the point im trying to make to the OP, it sounds like he doesn't have expireice P&P cyl. heads. why should he start now on his own cyl head, unless ofcourse he is a natural at it. It is easy to make head look like it will "flow" better but if you have no prior expierience save it for a spare head

Old 02-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think he is talking about the B18C = ITR head which does flow better than the B16 or GSR.

"Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and erase all doubt"

ITR head is similar to B16 however the ITR head stock can handle more CFM than a stock B16 head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mark Twain, Well placed. Im pretty sure theres one or two threads floating around ht by DIY pnp but they actually have some knowledge of it and had multiple junk heads to practice on if I remember correctly. Its not just like you bust out your dremel and your done. A properly pnp'd head takes HOURS to do and its an artform in its own way IMO.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (SomeDude56)

agree, i admittted i am definetly far from a pro. I had 9 hours into the z6 head i did.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Best way to do a DIY port and polish? (gator88)

get it done professionally, you can't just take a dremel to the head and think since the port holes are a little smoother and larger its going to flow better.

head jobs require atleast 3 way polishes which allows the air to flow in a particular fashion, almost tornado-esque, theres nothing worse than a bad headjob... lol
Old 02-20-2007, 03:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycrx7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shut your face you ignorant fool gsr heads flow like ****, b16 head is where its at get your **** straight and dont run your mouth kid. i talk from experience you talk from your ***. let me guess u think a gsr flows better cause its on a 1.8L muhhahahahahah idiot.</TD></TR></TABLE>can you read the link i posted the b18c head flows better you little faget how much experience can you have your 21 and just like all kids you think you know it all im 35 ben doing this for 10 years now i have worked with tons a big name racers so you should mind your mouth i showed proof numbers do not lie prove me wrong with proof or shut you damn mouth and stop posting what you think instead of facts
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: (mycrx7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycrx7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">itr head is a pos we are all on a budget here lets get real, y spend so much more on a ooo bling bling type r head yea wow jerk me off, b16 head with ctr intake manifold and ctr cams owns and its cheaper. either way honda dohc vtec heads flow rather well compared to many other auto makers.</TD></TR></TABLE>
again showing how little you know yes the itr head is more expensive but it does flow better then a stock b16 do your home work go back to school cars are not for you
Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (masterbuilder)

shut up, its over rated stop post whoring like a little girl, im just letting people know its a waste of money wow 2hp dif yea blow me, its really gonna make a dif, take a **** before you race theres more of a difference, y spend more when u can get a stock b16 head, throw ctr cams in it and have just as much power as some shitty itr head, pos boat anchor and a total waste of goddam money, its idiots like you who make it rich off noobs who know nothing, im telling YOU its a WASTE OF MONEY, stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: (mycrx7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycrx7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shut up, its over rated stop post whoring like a little girl, im just letting people know its a waste of money wow 2hp dif yea blow me, its really gonna make a dif, take a **** before you race theres more of a difference, y spend more when u can get a stock b16 head, throw ctr cams in it and have just as much power as some shitty itr head, pos boat anchor and a total waste of goddam money, its idiots like you who make it rich off noobs who know nothing, im telling YOU its a WASTE OF MONEY, stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

</TD></TR></TABLE> im not selling anything. its people like you that come on here posting crap they know nothing about getting noobs trade there b18c heads for b16 heads then wondering why there cars go slower. go back to school cars are not for you

Quick Reply: Best way to do a DIY port and polish?