Notices

Best/easiest way to take out the half shafts???? Any suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best/easiest way to take out the half shafts???? Any suggestions???

It's an 88 CRX Si and I have the front suspension in with a 4 speed tranny with the half shafts bolted up.I want to put the Si tranny I have into the CRX but one I don't have a socket big enough to take the (spindle nut,I think it's called) off.Can I just somehow take the half shafts out of the tranny,suspend them with zip ties and then remove the 4 speed and install the Si tranny and put the shafts back in?? I'm in no way a master mechanic and I'm hoping theres an easier way,any suggestions???? Thanks What size bolt is it that holds the shafts in place?? You know,the bolt in the center of each wheel,axle bolt maybe,I don't know.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best/easiest way to take out the half shafts???? Any suggestions??? (Xemu)

I believe you'll have the space if you pop the lower ball joint and tie rod off. You should be able to swing the hub out enough. Also, you can get a big wrench over the nut at the end of the axle, just make sure you completely unstake it and it should come off pretty easy.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best/easiest way to take out the half shafts???? Any suggestions??? (Black4thgenEF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black4thgenEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe you'll have the space if you pop the lower ball joint and tie rod off. You should be able to swing the hub out enough. Also, you can get a big wrench over the nut at the end of the axle, just make sure you completely unstake it and it should come off pretty easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Waddaya mean unstake it?????
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best/easiest way to take out the half shafts???? Any suggestions??? (Xemu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xemu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Waddaya mean unstake it?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

the nut is meant to be punched/staked on a certain spot that matches a slot on the end of the axle. That part when staked/punched keeps the nut from coming off if it ever got loose.