Notices

my ef drama ( please help)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my ef drama ( please help)

hello fellas (and maybe ladies )

I dont want this to be tooo long of a story so i'll break it down as fast as i can.

I bought a 91 crx si w/built b16a (ctr internals and FULL TODA HEAD PACKAGE )
Fast brakes upgrade,bride seats,tein full coil overs with edfc, vafc2,sitting on mugen rg's ,mugen 16x7s with low milage. FOR 3800!!

I bought it from a close friend who needed cash fast and already jumped ship to lexus.
anyway...

I drive the car home and things seem fine for almost 3 months. loved the car.

On my way home and bang. she dies and wont start. i tow it home and drain the oil pan. funny i didnt see alot of 5-30 syn comming out... it was coolant. So i pull the pan and windage tray.. nothing but metal falls out.. 4 valves are toast and siting in the pan. finialy got the head off. bent cyl 1 and 3 rodds badly and the ctr pistons look not only smashed from the valves but melted as well making me think the fella i got the car from installed the vafc2 and leaned it out. funny i noticed he had v-tec raping at 3800 rpms. So i believe he adjusted the v-tec and not the air fuel with it. = boom

Now. im looking for another b16a and the swap in the car HAS a j1 trans. hes claiming the engine is an sir2 ( which btw its all converted to obd-1) now.. im having an issue with trans.. if i buy another b series it WILL be the b18c. i had an eg/si for almost 5 years and loved the gsr's power. can i use an 01 gsr engine with J1 trans?

i was under the impression splines are different. so i did some research and couldnt find a hard facts answer. some say its just a clutch issue? i have a toda lightened flywheel on the next set up going in. ( im boosting this time )

so the question of the day is is there a way ( other then new output shaft ) to use the j1 with either a b16a sir2 or gsr?

i asked this question in the hybrid section and in 2 days no response.

ill add pics as i go..Someone with a clue please subscribe to this and give a fella some info

thanks and sorry for the short book lol.
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my ef drama ( please help)

sounds like your freind isn't close enough...he probably knew the engine was going to **** that's why he gave his problems for you to solve
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 PM

spline counts are the same I had a b18c1 and a j1 trannf and mated perfectly. It doesn't matter which b series tranny you use, because they will fit any b series motor, it's the clutch that aren't the same.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 PM

what clutch combo would i need. theres an exedy organic in it now thats well..not what i will need for a boosted application.

as far as my friend. man there's so many mods to this thing i've got receipts and manuals for everything he bought... even receipts for shipping. i got a hella good deal. i think they just messed up on the vafc because the car ran great for awhile. i think it came down to blowing the mugen h/g and coolant pouring into the oil gallies. funny part is it never got hot. it ran like a charm. till it blew. it was sudden and the car wasnt being pushed when it blew.

im trying to sell all the toda stuff now. im keeping the valve springs and retainers. im selling the spec b's,cam gears and some apex-i stuff ( grounding kit, vafc & the hasport ac adapter kit ) pm me for more info. im looking for turbo parts so i need $

heres a pic of the vafc i still havent got it out yet.

thanks for the trans info im still wondrous on what clutch set up i need????

thanks again
Attached Images  

Last edited by conceptEG; 06-27-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: pic info
Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 AM

clutch combo anyone>???
Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy 90-91 integra clutch, stage level is up to you.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM

will that work with the 01 gsr?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, as long as its a b-series gsr
Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by conceptEG
will that work with the 01 gsr?
I think that the clutch makes no difference as to the motor, but only to a difference as to which tranny that your using. If it doesnt fit your tranny, theres no way you would be able to use it. I used a centerforce clutch when i had a turbo z6 in an eg. I dont think you'll need a 6 puck, if your thinking of going that route, unless of course your planning on some major HP.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:23 PM

im using a J1 trans on a 01 gsr ( most likely )
Old 06-28-2009, 05:37 PM

Just get a clutch for 90-91 integra, i know for sure that year will fit that transmission. if you order one for 92-93 integra, the splines are bigger, thus not fitting, and if you order one for a 94-01 integra, your wont be able to use that either because those year use a hydro tranny.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM

As this thread continues.

i got everything apart last night. cyl 2 is dead cracked the cyl wall in 3 places and bent the rod. crank seems ok so far. but i dont figure i will know for sure till it take it to a machine shop. bent and broke 3 valves alone in # 2. the one thats bent is completely froze in the guide. im just trying to get the springs and retainers back.

still finding pieces of piston through out the head.. found a few pieces in the intake side of cyl 1. but the rest of the pistons seem to be ok. there was so much crap from the broken piston all over the others it made them all look bad. not so. the others are fine a little dirty but other then that if the cyl wall hadnt shattered id be ok.

i will post more pics tomorrow. ill take them tonight but i have to go to the rents house to dl them onto their pc and mail them to mine

im still looking for turbo parts that may want to trade for my toda and apex-i parts.. i can add a little cash to the deal. please ask around fellas if you would. mani,bov,a decent turbo ( t3,t4) etc.

Last edited by conceptEG; 06-29-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spell check