Notices

b18a swap runs SUPER rich and sputters!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18a swap runs SUPER rich and sputters!

I recently swapped a b18a into my ef hatch.

The only code its throwing is code 14 EACV. Ive checked all the wiring and have swapped out 3 of the eacv units, none of them make the car act any differently.

It wont idle worth crap, you have to give it some gas to keep it going. It smells like fuel, theres black soot in the tail pipe, and im getting real bad mileage. its running RICH.

The TPS outer wires are switched like they should be. I even tried another plug, an si one that already has the wires the way they have to be.

Here's what im experiencing:
I turn on the car, it doesnt start unless i give it gas. I play with the throttle, and when held at a constant position anywhere under about 3k rpm, it surges up and down, like i have a dirty eacv. but its not dirty. I start to drive, and it sputters and bogs and backfires and has no power as i increase throttle from 5% to 20%. After about 20% throttle, the car works like normal, sounds normal, and has full power. basically, anywhere under 2k rpm, it is getting way too much gas. As im coasting, if i start to increase throttle, itll do nothing but make sputtering sounds, then after enough throttle (20% about) it gives the car a nice jolt and has full power and accelerates.

The only things i can think of now are:
-theres a hiss coming from the bay, by the throttle body. is there a leak somewhere? would this even cause it to run super rich?
-TPS wire pin in the ecu plug is not making contact?
-Vacuum lines maybe not hooked up right? again, if they were hooked up wrong would it even make it run super rich at low rpm?
-dizzy?
-plugs?

I really dont know whats going on. There is no o2 sensor hooked up, but there wasnt one on my previous engine and it didnt make a noticeable difference.

The best way to sum it up, is that anywhere under 20% throttle, the car sputters and runs super rich, and wont idle. Its not an rpm related thing, but its based on how much throttle is applied. the sputtering goes away after the gas pedal is pressed down enough.

PLEASE help me out, the car dies at every stop sign, is really rough to drive at low throttle postions, and it gets like 10mpg.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18a swap runs SUPER rich and sputters!

bump.

i think the injectors are bad or are getting stuck.
Im going to get new spark plugs and some injector cleaner, and also test the injectors to see if they click.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if a code came up for eacv. Check the ground to it. The ecu send the ground the eacv to open and keep the engine running. Then check the wire on the plug for power. You should have battery voltage when the key is in the on position.

OBD0 hondas throw lights when there are open or shorts.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a ground for the eacv? i thought it was just one plug that goes into it?

i put in some good obd1 injectors, and bypassed the resistor box (soldered the 5 wires together) it made no difference, i still get like 8mpg.

Could it possibly be the fuel regulator? is that a common issue?
Old 05-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its the fuel regulator. I checked injectors and wiring and swapped injectors, etc, and nothing has changed. i took the vacuum off of the fuel regulator when it was running and it made no difference. which means the fuel was never being sucked back into the gas tank. that means that the regulator isnt opening, so all the gas thats being shoved into the fuel rail thats extra has no where to go, the psi builds up, and when an injector opens, the abnormally high pressure sprays way more gas into the cylinder than it should.
i.e. none of the gas is being returned. its being pressurized and sprayed through injectors.

I think i got it figured out, someone should confirm my logic
Old 05-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check timing, I had a similar problem. Turned out I was about a tooth off on the timing belt.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

figured it out. no o2 sensor was hooked up. it wasnt throwing a code so i didnt think it could be the problem, but sure enough, i hooked up an o2 sensor to c16, and its all fixed now
Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o2 sensors always cause issues