Notices

b18 swap, shifter not sitting in the right spot??

Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default b18 swap, shifter not sitting in the center

Well i worked the past 2 days solid and swapped the b18b by myself into my hatch. upon getting the shifter installed i noticed the shifter itself within the car was sitting way right. like as if someone was holding it over as far right as possible, except that its in neutral. I can get it in all the gears fine, but fifth you have to push a little harder over, it seems, to make sure you actually get it into gear. it feels like theres no room left to move it over.

i tried flipping the shifter around underneath the car, thinking maybe i screwed it up somehow but that just made the thing wayyyy off and it was quite obvious that this was not the correct way to do it. and its pretty much impossible to mount either part of the linkage itself on backwards or upside down. I did however notice when putting it all on that the metal dowel thingy comin out of the trans with the bitch pin through it, seemed to be like pointing away from the car towards the pass. side a little bit, rather then straight back towards the rear of the car like i imagine it should be. it looks like it maybe its supposed to be this way, but at the same time something didnt seem quite right. i'm wondering now if maybe this thing got bent out of shape at some point and now its throwin the shift lever itself out of wack. i'm not really sure.

does anyone have pics from like the bottom up of what the shifter shaft on the trans should look like, angle wise, relative to everything else (i.e. stabilizer bar.) i can get a pic of mine actually since it'll help i'm sure, and maybe someone can tell me if it looks effed up. And if thats not the case at all, maybe some other reason as to why my shifer is sittin so far over.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b18 swap, shifter not sitting in the center (D16SiHatch)

What shift rods are you using? You need modified ones
Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 swap, shifter not sitting in the center (rd91sib18c5r)

i know. i'm using avid linkages

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres some pics to better illustrate my problem..

what do you think? is the linkage on there right, or did i screw somethin up royal? you can see in the pics from underneath that the shifter is being pointed way over which results in the shifter looking like its in 5th gear when its actually in 1st. and like i said i can still get into all the gears fine, its just the shifter is sitting way right.

oh and dont mind my ghetto exhaust fix. its temporary till i can get a friend of mine to cut and reweld the flange on the cat at the correct angle.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in this picture, it look slike u have the part without the bitch pin wedged between something... it looks like it pulled in too close to that part of the tranny. do u have any more pics of this area? all thats supposed to be there is the linkage, a big washer and a bolt.... just wondering if thats what im seeing...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 swap, shifter not sitting in the center (saikouEF8)

also, why do all the bolts look tack welded.... is this a used avid linkage?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure what your seein but i can try and get some more pics of this area. the stabilizer arm (one without the bitch pin) isn't hitting anything, although in the pics i suppose it may appear that it could be.

here is somethin i noticed beforehand that seemed odd to me, but since ive never seen another b series transmission before i dont know if its normal or not. and ill give you a pic of my d series trans for comparison sake to try and show you what i'm noticing that different. it may be nothing at all and completely normal but i'm runnin out of ideas for why its bein so retarded

heres the b

and this is the d

On the D transmission you can see how the stabilizer bar and the shift lever (piece with the bitch pin) are parallel to eachother, and to the side of the car.

On the B tranny the stabilizer bar connection is parallel with the side of the car, however the shift lever (bitch pin part) seems to be pointed more towards the driver side rear. its not parallel with anything it seems. the blue line indicating where its facing, and the red line being the direction i would have expected it to be. is it possible that shift lever was bent at some point and now its throwing the rest of the linkage out of wack? i could be completely wrong, and i bet i am, but its all i have to go on at this point.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope it was brand new. there wasnt a spec of dust or a single scratch on the thing when i got it. i imagine its tack welded so that the bolts can't back out over time.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try flipping the bitch pin joint over....take out the pin and clock it 180 degrees... i mean barrel roll..so make it "upside down"..

Modified by saikouEF8 at 9:43 AM 6/19/2008
Old 06-14-2008, 02:50 AM
HT White Ops

What mounts are you using? Different manufactures place the engine in different positions. With that being said if your using Hasport mounts and an Avid linkage it may not be a perfect fit only because they may or may not place the engine in a different position. Just a thought but if you have avid mounts I guess we can eliminate that.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 swap, shifter not sitting in the center (SD_Lurker)

welp after putzin with it for a little while i figured it out. after looking at the part that the bitch pin goes through on the linkage i realized the hole the pin goes through seemed to be a little off center. so i figured for ***** why not flip just that piece around 180 degrees and see if it makes a difference. if not oh well i'll just flip it back. well by some miracle that did the trick and now the shifter is sittin dead center and everything feels how it should :D guess thats what i get for buying ebay avid linkages

and to saikouEF8 im just now realizing that i read your post wrong. i thought you meant flip the whole linkage around 180 degrees.. i now realize you had "joint" in there. wow if only i had caught that before i'da saved a little bit of time lol. either way thanks much!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using the hasport mounts with the same linkage you are using with no problem everything is nice and strait....
Old 06-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem except when i ordered my swap from jspecauto( never use them. motor was dirty as hell plus problems) they sent da shift linkage. dont know if this is your problem but mine was off a good inch to the right
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ONE-CAM-EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ONE-CAM-EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im using the hasport mounts with the same linkage you are using with no problem everything is nice and strait....</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
welp after putzin with it for a little while i figured it out. after looking at the part that the bitch pin goes through on the linkage i realized the hole the pin goes through seemed to be a little off center. so i figured for ***** why not flip just that piece around 180 degrees and see if it makes a difference. if not oh well i'll just flip it back. well by some miracle that did the trick and now the shifter is sittin dead center and everything feels how it should :D guess thats what i get for buying ebay avid linkages

and to saikouEF8 im just now realizing that i read your post wrong. i thought you meant flip the whole linkage around 180 degrees.. i now realize you had "joint" in there. wow if only i had caught that before i'da saved a little bit of time lol. either way thanks much!
I know this is an extremely old thread but im having the same issue. Shifter seems to be sitting way to the right as well as all the gears. 1st gear looks like its on 3rd, 2nd gear looks like its on 4th gear, 3rd gear looks like its on 5th gear, 4th gear looks like its on reverse, and 5th gear and reverse, well, its literally touching the center console.

Im still confused on what you guys mean by flipping the "joint" over 180 degrees. I have oem linkage and i just cant find the part to flip over. Unless you guys are talking about tearing the whole "u joint," flip the u joint, then bolt it back together. I need to know in clear details what you mean by flipping the "joint." Please please assist me!

Otherwise, the shop that rebuilt my transmission probably messed up somewhere during the process.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerry Yang
I know this is an extremely old thread but im having the same issue. Shifter seems to be sitting way to the right as well as all the gears. 1st gear looks like its on 3rd, 2nd gear looks like its on 4th gear, 3rd gear looks like its on 5th gear, 4th gear looks like its on reverse, and 5th gear and reverse, well, its literally touching the center console.

Im still confused on what you guys mean by flipping the "joint" over 180 degrees. I have oem linkage and i just cant find the part to flip over. Unless you guys are talking about tearing the whole "u joint," flip the u joint, then bolt it back together. I need to know in clear details what you mean by flipping the "joint." Please please assist me!

Otherwise, the shop that rebuilt my transmission probably messed up somewhere during the process.
yes this is a very very old thread, BUT heres some food for thought, perhaps you have a jdm del sol shifter. in the us del sols have specific shifter that is oriented to the left to be more sporty and ergonomic for the driver and id assume the same goes for Japanese del sols which are right hand drive so that might explain your issue. i could be completely wrong but like i said its just something to consider
Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b18 swap, shifter not sitting in the right spot??

Why do you think he may have a JDM Del Sol shifter?