Notices

B16a2 into 91' CRX questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16a2 into 91' CRX questions

I'm looking into fitting a B16a2 into my CRX due to the old B16a1 jumping the timing and number 1 piston hitting the spark plug.
The reason for a a2 is just because i can get one cheap whereas the a1 is very hard to find over here.

So far i have found out that due to the a2 gearbox being hydraulic the gearbox mount is different but could i my old a1 box instead? I have read that they are all inter-changeable?

The wiring is the bit thats getting me, the whole OBD0 and OBD1.
I've only had my CRX two weeks so this is all new to me so please forgive any silly questions.
Could i not change all my a1 parts, dizzy, sensors etc onto the a2 or are there other differences preventing this?
What are the differences between OBD0 and OBD1?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:53 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: B16a2 into 91' CRX questions

Originally Posted by BONNARSKI
I'm looking into fitting a B16a2 into my CRX due to the old B16a1 jumping the timing and number 1 piston hitting the spark plug.

That would be impossible from jumping timing... but it's your story so I'll let you tell it.

The reason for a a2 is just because i can get one cheap whereas the a1 is very hard to find over here.

Not to mention it has more POWA!!!

So far i have found out that due to the a2 gearbox being hydraulic the gearbox mount is different but could i my old a1 box instead? I have read that they are all inter-changeable?

All B-series transmission bell housings are the same pattern. (Yes, they are interchangable.)

The wiring is the bit thats getting me, the whole OBD0 and OBD1.

Look in the FAQ's... There is only around 1,598,421.15 write-ups on this.

I've only had my CRX two weeks so this is all new to me so please forgive any silly questions.
Could i not change all my a1 parts, dizzy, sensors etc onto the a2 or are there other differences preventing this?

You could swap everything over and avoid the hassle. The only difference that you would have to work around is the radiator fan switch. The A2 is on the thermostat housing while the A1 is on the back of the block. The switches work the same so it's only a matter of transferring the two wires. (Although the A2 intake is better among other things - but it's no a "do or die" situation

What are the differences between OBD0 and OBD1?

Just like in the "For Sale" adds... To Much To List. Just know OBD-1 is way better for stock and "aftermarket" (Tuning).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Good, then you can send me payment to blah blah blah...
Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B16a2 is obd2b buddy
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by accordin 2 me
B16a2 is obd2b buddy
I hope you are not referring to me?

Who in their right mind would want to go from OBD-0 to OBD-2 anyways? Unless that is what the OP was getting at... I assUmed that he was wanting to bridge the gap by potentially converting to OBD-1. What exactly are you wanting to do OP?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got a look at the car today after going over the whole thing in my head and like your realising that even if it had jumped the timing it couldn't of hit the spark plug and as you probably already know what the answer is i'll not have to tell you.

Thats good to hear that by changing all the a1 bits and pieces over it will work as i thought, the fan sensor will be an easy fix.

I had read on different places that the a2 was OBD1 but if i can just change everything over then that is good enough for me.

And just because i said all help appreciated doesn't mean i'm paying everybody who throws in some good info with their own pile of considending remarks as usual.
And yes i know you weren't serious but you did write it up about paying you.

I guess me and you will never see eye to eye but that just seems to be your way, picking on people that are trying to find out info and talking down to them but thats the way it shall be lol
Old 12-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No neva that was to the op. Yea convert the motor to obd1 and youll be fine