Notices

B16a1 cooling system refresh

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16a1 cooling system refresh

Hey guys, I'm not really sure where I should be posting this. I recently found a leak in the water pump inlet pipe and I'm taking the opportunity to refresh the cooling system on my b16a1 swap ef. Trying to located the proper parts for what I need.

I've order

-OE Replacement radiator for 88-91 EF Civic
-92-93 GSR upper radiator hose
-90.91 LS power radiator hose

I would like to refresh all the other related hosing too like heater hose, by pass hoses etc and themostar + gasket etc but I don't know which part number to look for. I'm also unsure which inlet pipe I should be buying. Should i be looking at 2000 honda si?????

for anybody that have done this before on an ef with b16a, is it easier to take on the intake manifold and oil filter and reach from the top? or is it possible to do it from the bottom?

noob here please take it easy on me
Old 11-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a1 cooling system refresh

talked to a local shop that specialize in honda's and they have never change out that connecting pipe so was unable to answer my question. since nobody seems to know I took the risk and order the b16a2 pipe. when it get here I will attempt the removal and install.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That pipe should be fine. It may have the extra water outlet close to the alternator but you can plug/reroute it. The pipe has 2 rubber gaskets at the pump and at the thermo housing, are you sure those aren't leaking? I've never encountered a broken pipe, just old gaskets.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonGSR
That pipe should be fine. It may have the extra water outlet close to the alternator but you can plug/reroute it. The pipe has 2 rubber gaskets at the pump and at the thermo housing, are you sure those aren't leaking? I've never encountered a broken pipe, just old gaskets.

you're most likely right. My mechanic thinks its just the o ring too. But he also told me there is a chance the rusted pipe will crumple like cookie when i do pull the pipe out. To be safe I order both the o ring and the pipe in case i have to replace that too. the b16a2 pipe also only have one outlet? i believe it goes to the heater core? all good to not hook that back up?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That outlet on the pipe for the heater core is always there. I've just seen some that have the smaller hose outlet close to the alternator side, but I cannot remember which motors those came on. If the one you ordered doesn't have it, then you don't have to worry about plugging it.

Its true, the pipe may be brittle depending on the type of coolant that has been used in the past. I'm curious to know, let me know what kind of shape the pipe is in. They always seem to be very strong regardless of age and coolant.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so the pipe is here and i started the disassembly. free the Intake Manifold and move it aside. I can clearly see the water pipe now. It is definitely different from the b16a2 pipe. the a1 pipe has two outlet, one bigger one that appears to ran to to the oil cooler? and the really small and skinny one that goes to the top of the intake manifold....The A2 Pipe ONLY has the skinny outlet leading to the intake manifold. while pulling the hoses off i notice it wiggles free on the water pump side as if there is no o ring there. it might possible be a simple fix or putting an o ring back in.

which also worries me, where did the old o ring go? did it went into the water pump? Not good news if it is, might cause a blockage in the water pump itself.... Will report back and possible with some photos
Old 12-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you might find that the o-ring has just degraded so much that the pipe is loose at that end now, which would explain your leak at the pump inlet. you'll just have to take the thermostat housing off to free the pipe for removal if i remember correctly, then check out the o-rings at each end and replace them anyway, see if it fits tighter. just remember to wet the o-rings a bit when reinstalling so they dont deform or rip at all
Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dylspil
you might find that the o-ring has just degraded so much that the pipe is loose at that end now, which would explain your leak at the pump inlet. you'll just have to take the thermostat housing off to free the pipe for removal if i remember correctly, then check out the o-rings at each end and replace them anyway, see if it fits tighter. just remember to wet the o-rings a bit when reinstalling so they dont deform or rip at all

i've free the pipe, well kind of the water pump end won't come off, looks like the knock sensor is in the way. I haven't been able to find a deep socket that fits the sensor….

look like everyone is right the pipe is in good condition, the ring is loose. I've order the ring for the b16a2 hopefully it fits without problem. Is it suggest to put rtv seal on the o-ring so I don't have to do this again? or will it make matter worse.

I would like to replace all radiator related hosing, which kit should i order? i don't think the b16a2 kit would fit? especially the hose that goes from the water pump to the oil cooler, it does not seem to exist on the b16a2.

any input would be appreciated!