Notices

Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me!

Old 03-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me!

Okay guys, so right now I have a set of Autometer Phantom Gauges, I've gotten the A/F Ratio, and the Oil Pressure ones down, but now comes the Water Temp Gauge.

It's an electrtic which means it uses a sending unit. I am really in the dark right now. Where the hell should I instal this thing?! Anyone got any helpful links or pics?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (jedubz)

I bought a t fitting an installed it line with the eacv, I could get pics if you want to see.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

autometer uses the same reference voltage as honda sensor... tap the sensor wire behind cluster and you won't have to mess with all the other crap...
Old 03-22-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (cavakilla)

wow serious! sweet i have to remember this
Old 03-22-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (Sideout)

If you want to wire it in directly, unbolt the factory secondary temp sensor UNDER the distributor, and with some teflon tape, attach (bolt in) the autometer. Easy, clean and simple.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (REVHARD_EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REVHARD_EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to wire it in directly, unbolt the factory secondary temp sensor UNDER the distributor, and with some teflon tape, attach (bolt in) the autometer. Easy, clean and simple.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the sensor that drives the temp gauge in the dash. FYI.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (crx_88_si)

Is there a way I could run both? If not, it's okay... I just would like the broad perspective (Hot or Cold) in the gauge in the cluster, and then the Exact numbers (Autometer Gauge) on my Gauge.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:12 PM
ninjaMONKEY

do this and both would work, tap the wire under the dash so that way you dont have to solder it, you can just t-tap it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cavakilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">autometer uses the same reference voltage as honda sensor... tap the sensor wire behind cluster and you won't have to mess with all the other crap... </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly what i would use
Old 03-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (ninjaMONKEY)

FYI, the threads are not the same on the autometer unit that are in the head. I used RVT and screwed it in until i felt it get tight witch was like 5 turns. It hasnt leaked yet. You cant use both gauges form one sender, I have tired it and it does not work. It grounds them out and gives you a screwy reading (like all the way hot or cold). just my .02 cents

Blaze
Old 03-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually just hooked one of these up today...it wasnt bad at all...there is a plug right under the dizzy, you cant see it w. the dizzy on so i took off the dizzy...its a single wire plug, just tap the wire and both the dash and the autometer guage will read...and its gunna be a lil more accurate...cause i talked to my mechanic and he said in order to use the sending unit you have to drill and tap the block cause there is no where that it just screws into...so do what i suggested and it will work perfect
Old 03-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cavakilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">autometer uses the same reference voltage as honda sensor... tap the sensor wire behind cluster and you won't have to mess with all the other crap... </TD></TR></TABLE>

So the reference volt is the same, the thermistors are still different. If you use the Honda one with the autometer gauge, your reading will be off. GO by a t fitting and splice into a coolant line.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mefain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...cause i talked to my mechanic and he said in order to use the sending unit you have to drill and tap the block cause there is no where that it just screws into...so do what i suggested and it will work perfect </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can by the t fitting, and screw it into that. Here is how I have mine

Modified by 90blackcrx at 6:29 PM 3/22/2004
Old 03-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So the reference volt is the same, the thermistors are still different. If you use the Honda one with the autometer gauge, your reading will be off. GO by a t fitting and splice into a coolant line.

Modified by 90blackcrx at 6:29 PM 3/22/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

How off would you say?

I have had mine hooked up to the stock unit along with the stock guage hooked up for a few years now, and mine seems to be pretty accurate! Fan comes on at the correct temp, and shuts off at the right temp!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I'm trying to stomach your giant collection of useful information! This rocks! So What you did is in the coolant line going to the stock unit, you installed a T tap, and added a coolant line going to the autometer sending unit?

Okay so if I'm right there, I'm still confused looking at your picture as to why there is 2 wires coming from the Autometer Sending Unit

Is this would be the "Correct" way?

I'm also curious what temps are the fan supposed to come on/shut off? (Mine is a manual switch).
Old 03-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that is the right way, but there should be no line between the autometer sensor and the t fitting, the fitting just screws into the t fitting.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prkiller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How off would you say?

I have had mine hooked up to the stock unit along with the stock guage hooked up for a few years now, and mine seems to be pretty accurate! Fan comes on at the correct temp, and shuts off at the right temp!</TD></TR></TABLE>

About 10 degrees
Old 03-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

probably the reason he has two wires is the sensor needs a ground... if you put it in between hoses it has to be a two wire sending unit... sometimes you can get some ground through the coolant but that won't produce accurate readings... if you tap the wire behind the insturment cluster it will work fine... ive done this many, many times...
Old 03-22-2004, 10:27 PM

since u can tap the stock water temp gauge wire....does this mean u can tap the stock oil pressure switch wire for use with autometer oil pressure gauges?
Old 03-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autometer Water Temp Sending Unit [Electric]! Help me! (CyniKal.Mindset)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CyniKal.Mindset &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">since u can tap the stock water temp gauge wire....does this mean u can tap the stock oil pressure switch wire for use with autometer oil pressure gauges?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope