Notices

89 Civic - Cluster compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Civic - Cluster compatibility

Okay so I'm new to this forum and ill just get straight to the point.
I'm in the process of buying a old 1989, Honda Civic Hatchback DX.
It's automatic, but I'm doing a swap to make it a 5sp.
So the thing is, I need a new cluster,
And I don't know what clusters would work in it, but I don't want a stock looking one either, I want one that will look different. And stand out, but I really don't want to re wire anything cause that's too easy to mess up.
Also was curious if anyone here had a Front Passenger side fender that I could grab or does anyone know of a site that sells them for RELATIVLY cheap?
Thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need HELP!

Here we go again...

At least you used relatively good grammar. So I'll answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

1. Need HELP! is not a good title for a thread. You should address your main issue in the thread title so people can click on things they know and assist you. I'm sure a Moderator will fix that for you.

2. Doing a 5-speed swap is quite the task. Not really impossible, but it isn't easy. There are several things that need to be changed over. There are some write ups around, google will be your friend with this.

3. As far as a cluster goes you really have a small area of options. Option one: Use a manual cluster out of a '88-89 Honda civic. Preferably one with a tach. Option two: In order to 'stand out' as you say, use a different chassis' cluster. GSR, S2000, CRV, ect are all popular clusters to swap. But it isn't plug and play. You will have to splice the harness into the harness for the appropriate cluster. It's very easy to screw up. So those are your options as far as a cluster is concerned, if you are swapping them still.

4. Front passenger side fender is probably easy to pick up at a pick and pull yard. It's very easy to rip one off. That's your best bet. Or check the market section here for someone parting out a car in your area.

You're welcome.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay then, thank you.

Sorry about the title, didn't know what exactly to label it as, but I will indeed keep that in mind for the future.

And as for the cluster issue. I am very interested in the S2000 Clusters, but from what I have been reading, some people have been saying that the Temp gauges and fuel gauges don't work.
How hard would it be to try to put a S2000 gauge into it?

And also, I understand it's no easy task, but I'm fairly sure it can be done easily, I have a couple friends that have done other swaps before too, much like the one I'm going to be doing.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're mechanically inclined, all of these tasks "can be done easily" as you say. If this is you're first adventure into converting a car to manual or splicing wiring and swapping a cluster then it will be more a learning experience and slightly more time consuming. Depends on your motivation. I've read about and seen a lot of people not finish something because it was beyond their skill level and they lost interest. Good luck, there is a lot of info on both of these throughout the internet. You should be able to finish both.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 89 Civic - Cluster compatibility

Title edited - please read the forum rules sticky thread at the top.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:58 PM
Trial User

Hey guys, I’m trying to swap the cluster on my 89 civic hatchback DX. The one I purchased was off of a 89 wagon. The two plugs coming from my dash plug up to the wagon cluster with ease, but there is a third plug on the cluster that my hatch does not have. The tach works perfectly, but the fuel/temp and all the dash lights do not work. I’ve read that the wagon cluster was compatible with the hatch and it “plugs and plays” except for the mentioned issues. Anyone have any thoughts or is more knowledgeable on the subject than me?
Old 01-16-2023, 08:35 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Start your own thread and add some pictures of the clusters side by side.