Notices

ZC overheating and it's pain in my ass

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZC overheating and it's pain in my ***

I have this 89 crx si I got for $400. Sweet deal right? It had issues when I hit it but still ran. I got it home did some stuff like an oil change, plugs, wires, tps, tstat, r cap. It ran great till I found out I had a blow HG. I left it at my dads until I felt like touching it agin. Well my dad needed it gone a month later and I'm broke. I know it's bad but I didn't get my head surfaced and I used some silicone on the gasket. You don't need to hate. Let me explain. This was a get done ASAP to get out my dads way. No oil flush but did do the radiator. All is back together just fine until it overheats. At the time my oil was still a little creamy since I didn't flush it just changed it. So when I looked at my coolant and it kept sucking away all my water. I figured my HG was blown again. I said **** it this car was only $400 and I put some Bars HG sealant the copper one. It seemed to work for awhile and still kinda does. So here's what I'm getting to. I'm overheating. Oil isn't creamy now. Water isn't oily. I do have as far as I can tell just a slight water leak somewhere under my distributor. I noticed 3 of my eahaust pipes are cracked up too on the flange and its leaving black marks coming up. I few wires were broke and I put them back together. Idk if that's an issue. I was thinking water pump but I'm trying to do some more reasearch as of now. My radiator does keep pressure on the upper hose. I havnt checked the lower yet. And my fan is hard wired to a switch. Like I said my water just diassapears but idk where. Please help if possible. Any info you'll be totally awesome. Let me know if you need more info. Like I said I just got the car and it's my first project to myself. I don't know everything still going over and learning about it. Oh yeah and in the first start it runs like a champ. But when it finally heats up and I cut it off it add more water and go back to start it up it's like spitty and boggish. If I get going it goes away. Then when I slow down it idle surges and then drops and sometimes dies. Idk why it doesn't do it while I'm driving. Only on the 2nd start of the day and every after.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: ZC overheating and it's pain in my ***

well it sounds like your water is being burned off by the motor and with that head gasket sealer the ports are now kinda pluged
so it still overheats but it just takes a little longer to

what motor do you have in your crx si?

you need to do the head gasket job right this time around
new gasket and have the head and block checked for warp age and if there warp ed than get them resurfaced
if you wonna learn how to check for warp age yourself send me a private message
ill help you out dude