Notices

Anyone know why the speedometer can be off???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know why the speedometer can be off???

ok so my 90 ex sedan speedometer is off a lil. car is bone stock with stock wheels and tire size. when im going 65 mph on the speedometer its actually going like around 72-73 mph cuz my wife was right behind me when i called her and asked her how fast she was going. anyone know why it does this? is there a fix or a new cluster would be the only problem solver?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Anyone know why the speedometer can be off???

I would be willing to bet your wife's speedometer is off as well. You CAN'T gauge accuracy of your speedometer with another vehicle - way too many variables. If you want to test it a radar gun or GPS are the only viable options (unless you are rich, which I doubt since you have a Honda).
Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
I would be willing to bet your wife's speedometer is off as well. You CAN'T gauge accuracy of your speedometer with another vehicle - way too many variables. If you want to test it a radar gun or GPS are the only viable options (unless you are rich, which I doubt since you have a Honda).
thats a pretty lame answer bro and to your point there are plenty of rich people who drives hondas bro. if i was to win the lotto i would have a garage full of honda collectibles and yes i know my cluster is off cuz usually when i drive 65 on the freeway everyone passes me up but with this ef when im doing 65 im either staying with traffice or even passing up a couple of people. my wife's crv is a new one so im sure it's pretty accurate.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be any part of the speedo system. good thing for you its only 5 or 6 parts ha. i would start by checking the connections for the cable and possibly replace it. if that doesnt fix it go to the next thing. good luck. using another car is not super accurate but i doubt it would be super far off. try using a gps or smartphone and see how much it really is off.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Lame answer? "Bro"? Listen kid, you obviously are just as clueless as the above poster; I am one of the more knowledgable people in this Forum - if you don't like the response then go cry a river... A cable isn't going to show a lower speed... Either something isn't as stock as you say or you need to actually figure out how off it is. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's correct. There is a percentage Of accuracy that is acceptable; take motorcycles for instance - they practically all read high for operator safety.

Also, why in the world would you think that because the speed limit is 65 mph that people would be doing exactly that? Illogical...
Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lame answer? "Bro"? Listen kid, you obviously are just as clueless as the above poster; I am one of the more knowledgable people in this Forum - if you don't like the response then go cry a river... A cable isn't going to show a lower speed... Either something isn't as stock as you say or you need to actually figure out how off it is. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's correct. There is a percentage Of accuracy that is acceptable; take motorcycles for instance - they practically all read high for operator safety.

Also, why in the world would you think that because the speed limit is 65 mph that people would be doing exactly that? Illogical...
QFT :like:
Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

knowledegeable or not i dont care bro. i know it's not 100% accurate but it should be close to it. only thing i got mad was u said only poor people drive hondas. so that must mean ur just as broke as all of us on here. and yeah a nsx is a honda so if u got one ur a broke *** too. and i aint gonnna cry ur *** a river cuz thats kid shiet there so u go cry urself a river. i already got my **** fix cuz it was just a bad cluster. thanks for the help anyways.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

op, you need a GPS to verify speed, those are as accurate as they get. Tire and rim size affects speedo/rpm the most. civic and integras tend to read 4-6mph faster anyways. my integra reads 70mph, when i'm actually going 67. the discrepancy is greater the faster i go. 80mph on gauge but actually going 76...etc
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mynameizstitch
knowledegeable or not i dont care bro. i know it's not 100% accurate but it should be close to it. only thing i got mad was u said only poor people drive hondas. so that must mean ur just as broke as all of us on here. and yeah a nsx is a honda so if u got one ur a broke *** too. and i aint gonnna cry ur *** a river cuz thats kid shiet there so u go cry urself a river. i already got my **** fix cuz it was just a bad cluster. thanks for the help anyways.
If you already have it fixed, after less than one day, then all you did was prove that you're too damn lazy to try and figure it out before you run to the internet to get spoon fed an answer. I only ask here after I've actually made numerous attempts at fixing something, not right away.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spug
If you already have it fixed, after less than one day, then all you did was prove that you're too damn lazy to try and figure it out before you run to the internet to get spoon fed an answer. I only ask here after I've actually made numerous attempts at fixing something, not right away.
nope just kinda wanted to see what else can be the issue that was all. did not want this to be a drama post here. my buddy had an ef also so i just borrowed his cluster to see if it was going to fix it and it did. sometimes its good to know all the stuff that can cause it but i guess i fixed it with the first try that was all. it's always good to know the info so maybe next time it will help me in the future
Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

What you fail to see is the cluster is the only thing that is "calibrated" to read the speed. So you just so happen to get one that fell into the low acceptable percentage from the factory. There are only 4 parts for the speed system if you exclude most of the transmission, axles, wheels, ect... They are: differential speed gear, VSS, speedo-cable, and cluster. If any of the first 3 fail enough to affect the reading, they will all almost undoubtedly fail to Zero MPH. They are all mechanical - so they either work or they don't. The only variable is the gauge cluster, as they get calibrated. Essentially they just stick the needle on and check for accuracy. As with any mass production, there are allowable deficiencies.

If you really wanted to, you could take the clear cover off and "reclock" the needle. 99% of the people will just figure out how far off their speedometer is and factor that into their driving habits.

PS - You must be poor if you took offense to my statement. All I was getting at was that if you were rich you would have other means than a radar gun or GPS to figure out how fast you were going. Then again, there are mathematic equations for this sort of thing as well.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What you fail to see is the cluster is the only thing that is "calibrated" to read the speed. So you just so happen to get one that fell into the low acceptable percentage from the factory. There are only 4 parts for the speed system if you exclude most of the transmission, axles, wheels, ect... They are: differential speed gear, VSS, speedo-cable, and cluster. If any of the first 3 fail enough to affect the reading, they will all almost undoubtedly fail to Zero MPH. They are all mechanical - so they either work or they don't. The only variable is the gauge cluster, as they get calibrated. Essentially they just stick the needle on and check for accuracy. As with any mass production, there are allowable deficiencies.

If you really wanted to, you could take the clear cover off and "reclock" the needle. 99% of the people will just figure out how far off their speedometer is and factor that into their driving habits.

PS - You must be poor if you took offense to my statement. All I was getting at was that if you were rich you would have other means than a radar gun or GPS to figure out how fast you were going. Then again, there are mathematic equations for this sort of thing as well.

thanks bro for the info but me being poor??? dont judge a book by it's cover bro especially if you dont even know me personally. that is on thing i hate most in life. i know many poor people and rich people and i treat them all the same and dont put any of them down like u do bro. dont make yourself look any dumber here cuz basically what your saying is all brokeass poor people drive hondas so just keep your mouth shut if u aint got nothing nice to say cuz im done here. enough with your smart *** talk here. i have nothing to prove here this is a public forum and yes you can speak your mind if you want so im no internet thug calling people poor or assuming people who owns hondas poor.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Find one of these

+/- 3mph I would guess.

I don't know any financially well off people with a Honda (outside the NSX), never saw a pic of the average "rich" person in one (other than race car driver and CEO of Honda), never read anything anywhere about a "rich" person even sitting in a Honda. Zero. Best I got is maybe a celebrity of sorts getting into a vehicle accident that involved the other vehicle being a Honda.
The general "rich" society does not drive a Honda. It was pretty obvious what he meant.
Stop taking it all personal - it was an obvious general meaning.
Nobody here cares about how "if you had money" you would have a garage full of Honda's.
You are the .01%.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
Find one of these
haha yup i have like two of those on my way to work haha
Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yeah just because its a new car doesn't mean ****. In most states the cops give you 5mph because radar guns can be off up to 3.2mph I believe. Which is why I love your next point. Most people drive 5 to 10mph over the speed limit.

Now buddy if you want a slightly more accurate reading you can hang on to the back of the car on a skateboard and tell me how fast you are going "Bro". People are trying to help you so don't bash them
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find one of these

+/- 3mph I would guess.

I don't know any financially well off people with a Honda (outside the NSX), never saw a pic of the average "rich" person in one (other than race car driver and CEO of Honda), never read anything anywhere about a "rich" person even sitting in a Honda. Zero. Best I got is maybe a celebrity of sorts getting into a vehicle accident that involved the other vehicle being a Honda.
The general "rich" society does not drive a Honda. It was pretty obvious what he meant.
Stop taking it all personal - it was an obvious general meaning.
Nobody here cares about how "if you had money" you would have a garage full of Honda's.
You are the .01%.
Define rich? I make 120k a year and drive an 88 crx
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, Hondas seem to run fast both spedo AND odo. Not until I went to a +2 wheels/tire did it get closer (still fast). I must not be the only one because there was a class action lawsuit about it.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigbamaBen
Define rich? I make 120k a year and drive an 88 crx
Exactly why I put the word rich in quotes.
120k in my area is nothing to blink an eye at.
500k is decent living.... maybe the super low end of rich.

Figure if you can comfortably pay in cash - no loan - buy a 4 bedroom, 3 car garage home in a nice neighboorhood and park a Lambo in the driveway then you is rich!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly why I put the word rich in quotes.
120k in my area is nothing to blink an eye at.
500k is decent living.... maybe the super low end of rich.

Figure if you can comfortably pay in cash - no loan - buy a 4 bedroom, 3 car garage home in a nice neighboorhood and park a Lambo in the driveway then you is rich!

I'll tell everyone now that when I post a question these two people 4dref and Neva are both who I hope reply with information. I know a good deal of information on the ef's in general but nowhere near what these people know. Neva is correct about what he's said in this topic and in 99.9% of the other topics.

4drEF is correct about the financial status of people in a decent majority of Los Angeles and anywhere else. Drive through Beverly Hills (an hour at most away from him) and the houses are a ****ing joke.

Either way the OP took Neva's comment the wrong way. That "bro" should recognize that he's asking or help and when he gets it he should appreciate it. Especially when it's someone's advice you can trust.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I GUESS I TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY. NO HARD FEELINGS IM OVER IT NOW. THANKS GUYS FOR THE HELP.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Trial User

We just bought a used 1996 Honda Accord. The stock tire size is P185/65R15, the car is equipped with P195/60R15. According to the tire calculator at 1010tires.com these tires are within 1% of the stock tire.

The speedometer reads 120km/hr when my Garmin GPS indicates 112 km/hr. I have reason to believe the GPS because it indicates 120 when my 2004 Venture is at 120 and my Grand Caravan is at 120.

This would suggest that the Honda overstates the speed by more than the 4% acceptable by SAE.

No wonder there has been class action lawsuits.

This also would suggest that fuel economy is overstated.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could have just unplugged it and saved all this fuss, who needs to know how fast youre going in a honda anyways hah

This is a joke and not to be taken seriously, only broke people do this...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the cluster out, took off the plastic outer piece, and moved the needle with the speed sensor cable still plugged in. a little adjustment and it reads dead on with stock size tires..