Notices

Another EF after a few years

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another EF after a few years

Been a minute since I updated my slow build. Couple parts came in and some maintenance things done.

So I am well aware that they are pretty much junk. Saying this up front. But I installed a set of eBay coilovers. My stock shocks were blown, rusted out, and actually falling apart, and I came across a set on eBay, threw a lowball offer on it, and ended up with a set of coils. The ride is bouncy, it slams around, and rides about the same as my blown shocks with stock springs, but my current goal is to make sure I pass inspection, and I have a few things that need done, so I’m going the cheap route, and planning on upgrading most of these parts later.

fronts went on in no time, the rears were a bit of a struggle due to some rusted and snapped bolts I i the LCAs, so, to that required some cheap eBay control arms as well.

overall I like the lowered look, and I have probably adjusted them a few times since this picture, and may max out the height if I get it on a lift before snowfall

I also took the time to install a new driver’s side motor mount yesterday. I expected it to be a lot worse than what it was but it slid right out, took a some more effort to get the new one in but I fixed some noises I had been hearing and reduced some vibrations

and when i had the car on ramps I also worked on my eBay exhaust. When it showed up it had an extra hanger for some reason, I left it alone for a while but it had been rubbing on my fuel tank so that had to go, so I cut the thing off. It also seemed to have fallen off of the hangers. I remember struggling to get everything on and lined up properly when I installed it and this time was no different. It’s as if the hangers were on the wrong side, I might need to find some longer hangers. Everything is lined up and its tight, so I don’t think the exhaust is going anywhere, but i would like the extra support for it. Might have to find someone who can weld for me and just switch them around so they aren’t hanging down so low. Or just deal with it. This was another ‘replace it for inspection’ part that I already have mentally written off that at some point it will be replaced or modified, probably around the same time I replace/repair the rear bumper so its not touching it or close to it.

Removed the hanger

Old 11-13-2017, 08:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks really good!

What size tires are those? I only ask because they look big on the car, but I like the look. Could just be because it's lowered though...
Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They’re 185/65 15s... stock size from the mini that the wheels came off of. So they are a little oversized. I’m actually overdue for some new tires, not sure if i am going to stick with this size or go with a 15” tire that is closer to the original size
Old 11-13-2017, 02:39 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like it's ready for business wit a beefier tire

What business that might be... who's to say?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by God Is Bed
I'm in the same boat on what to do engine wise, but I'm not burning oil yet (as far as I can tell). I'm planning on doing a MPFI swap, already have a lot of parts, and going from there. Probably a mini-me, but who knows?
Nice job on fixing your door and filler door! And that console looks nice!
If you're burning oil, might be worth it to change out the valve seals. Did this on an 88 civic sedan which helped. My biggest symptom was after engine braking down a hill there would be a puff of smoke at the bottom of the hill when I hit the gas again. But then, you're dealing with an older engine I burned oil on mine for a good 20K miles. Just had to be careful to keep adding a little here and there.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know the burning oil issue is constantly on my mind too. I have been pretty good at checking it every time I get gas and adding oil as needed. Valve seals wouldn’t be a bad idea but I know for me, I want to hold off as long as I can when it comes to any real engine work until I get everything else squared away. I’ve been looking at things like MPFI conversions to open up other options for a swap and I have probably read all of the still active threads in the stickies about engine options, MPFI swaps, mini-me swaps and other conversions. Unless something dies and forces my hand, my game plan is to get the interior cleaned up and how I want it, get the suspension squared away, by then I hope to have another DD so I can send if off for paint and rust repair, then I’ll figure out an engine situation. Long process but by the end of it I should have the tools and more time under the hood so I will be a little more confident in pulling the engine and swapping something.

Ideally a B-series would be the most fun, but that may be a little more than I am ready for, at least while its still a DD, but at the same time, I will probably have to pull the engine to get the rings done and everything else rebuilt if i stick with the D15 so at that point, if i have it all out, maybe its worth it to swap something else in.

Unrelated note, I finally got a windshield washer fluid reservoir in (just in time for winter) so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get that in before the weather really turns and they start salting the roads here
Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No pictures, but I was able to get the washer reservoir in a while back. Have to say the fitment blows. I was able to get one of the three bolts to line up. But it’s in there and legal so that’s what really matters. Didn’t expect much from an eBay part anyways. And I also got new tires. Hooray for tread.

At a crossroads with the car. Finally picked up a reliable DD that’s going to be safer to drive around (had a few close calls with deer and distracted drivers recently), so now I can take on some projects without really having to worry about getting to work the next day if it doesn’t work out or when I hit a road block, because nothing ever goes as smooth as planned. I expect that.

considering 2 things with the car
a) throwing a classic tag on it, and basically just rebuilding and restoring it to stock/factory parts. Thought it would be kinda cool to have a mostly original car to drive around. This plan would basically just involve rebuilding the D15b1, rust repair, paint and cosmetics

b) dive in with an MPFI/DOHC ZC swap. Not really sure if I want to go B-series and convert to OBD1 for my first time pulling an engine when a ZC can probably be had for less than half of the cost of a full swap. That leaves me the cash to rebuild or replace parts before it goes in the car. Still need to do rust repair and paint here. Probably replace some of the cheap parts as well.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have almost the same car, and am planning to make it my race car, since I have a good daily driver. Plan to do the MPFI swap in January and run it until the D15 blows up. It's a pretty solid engine for having over 300k miles on it.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa...whoda thought mini wheels fit on an EF? Gotta get my head back in the game..been gone a long time..still have my EF though..been sitting for 6 years.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sastanley
Whoa...whoda thought mini wheels fit on an EF? Gotta get my head back in the game..been gone a long time..still have my EF though..been sitting for 6 years.
I was pretty stoked that they fit, I like the look of them and thanks to some German engineering, they make getting an alignment easier. They’ve got 4 holes on them to attach the reflector thing for a laser alignment system, and since I work at a German car dealership, we have that laser alignment rack. The techs here were way more willing to do an alignment on the side with these vs any other wheels without them, they say it makes their lives easier
Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a little update to my slow build here. Jumped timing the other day, and the car has been sitting for over a week and a half. Finally able to get it towed out of my parking lot at work so i can work on it.

Currently weighing my options here, cheapest would be to replace the timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gaskets. But i dont have any guarantee that there wasnt any valve damage. If i have to do any head/valve work, then its a question of swapping something else in, or just rebuilding the engine since its off the road anyways. I’d love to find a DOHC ZC since i dont really think i want to go B series (cost) and that way for now i could keep my transmission and pick up an SI 5 speed later. Or if i can find something local (16a6 or maybe a y7 and keep my OBD0 parts) that would work too. But then again, DOHC ZCs aren’t really that cheap either.

Will most likely throw it back on the stock rims, and use the downtime I have while deciding to clean it up - fresh paint on the trim and bumpers, maybe try to snag some non-rusted junk yard fenders or other pieces, and give the interior a really thorough cleaning. Maybe even look into a cheap DIY paint job because everything is pretty much faded and peeling.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Ever find out the extent of the damage? On the bright side, if pulling the engine it is a good opportunity to clean up the engine bay