Notices

Another dpfi-mpfi problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dpfi-mpfi problem

Hello everyone, I'm Kyle. I picked up a 89 civic dx for extremely cheap deal a year ago. Completely stripped out, with just 2 front seats and few interior parts like cluster etc.

Then I started locating parts that was needed. Found a whole complete 91 Civic dx auto interior harness without engine harness for dirt cheap but it was automatic, no cuts or any wires have been tampered with. Then I picked up a 5spd 89 civic DX harness on ebay for a reasonable price. Then I finally started working on the wiring. Did a lot of research, saved a lot of documents for dpfi to mpfi swaps.

Motor is a mini me, y7 block with z6 head. Running engine that I helped a buddy pulled from his car. We switched out his RC injectors for his obd0 injectors he had on his previous a6 because he was selling those. So I am running a resistor box as for now till I can get this car going.

Cut it short, here is my problem. Everything comes on, fuel primes up fine. But no spark, not turning over at all, not cranking, nada. I traced every single wired, and seem like there is no short. I also did my own obd0-obd1 jumper harness I found online. Followed it step by step, went back and double check and all seem to check out. I think I might have my dizzy wires wrong on the engine harness but I'm pretty sure I did it correct. I followed colored to colored, then ran back C1/C2 wire back to ecu. This is all hard wire onto my dx engine harness dizzy wires straight to a obd1 plug. Unless DX engine harness and SI engine harness dizzy wire colors are different colors then I definitely wired it wrong.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated. I've been over this for about the last 3 months and I'm going insane. Searching google isn't helping at all anymore. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another dpfi-mpfi problem

I spent another free morning today and went through all the print outs I printed before I started working on this project and realize I didn't hook up A15 to run the resister box. I left it untouched. Do I just cut A15 from the ECU and run it directly the the resister box? Will that cause anything in the near future if I decide to run obd1 injectors?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock A15 should be running to the main relay.
The same pin on the main relay runs to the injector resistor box.
No need to cut A15 or mess with it at all.
Just verify that you get +12V at the resistor box as well as A15 when you turn the key to ON.

"...no spark, not turning over at all, not cranking, nada..."

Do you mean that your starter doesn't even turn over?
Please confirm.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
The stock A15 should be running to the main relay.
The same pin on the main relay runs to the injector resistor box.
No need to cut A15 or mess with it at all.
Just verify that you get +12V at the resistor box as well as A15 when you turn the key to ON.

"...no spark, not turning over at all, not cranking, nada..."

Do you mean that your starter doesn't even turn over?
Please confirm.

Thanks for the reply. I will try and check the resistor box later on tonight.

And yes, that's what I meant. Starter not turning over. Just to clarify, I wired my distributor as someone would on a SI harness. I just ran 2 extra wires from the distributor back C1/C2 on the ECU. Is that wrong or does DX and SI wire color match up correctly?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Keyboard Humorist

The distributor wiring isn't going to cause the starter to fail turning over.

Check wiring to the starter.
Make sure the ground from the chassis to the transmission is in place.
If you think your wiring is all good, Remove the starter and bench test it.

While you are at it, also check the grounds at the thermostat housing.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
The distributor wiring isn't going to cause the starter to fail turning over.

Check wiring to the starter.
Make sure the ground from the chassis to the transmission is in place.
If you think your wiring is all good, Remove the starter and bench test it.

While you are at it, also check the grounds at the thermostat housing.

Been so caught up with school and work. I finally had time to check, ground to tranny and thermostat is good. Took my starter in to autozone, still good. I checked my yellow wire to my resistor and A15 and there is no 12v. Can it be the main relay?

EDIT:
https://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-...-pics-2535047/

I used this to check my main relay. Everything went well til I reached step 4. Did not get continuity. I think I'm going to attempt repairing the main relay and see how it goes.

I rechecked my main relay harness and pin #4 blue/white wire is not getting any voltage reading. Diagram says #4 is Starter Switch. All my fuses check out good. Can it be my ignition switch? I found a used ignition switch on Craigslist for free from a local guy. He said his CRX was broken into and they damaged his ignition switch, so right now I'm using a small flat head to turn the ignition over. Can that be the reason?

Edit:
Ignition switch turns out bad. Black/yellow not getting any voltage reading. Hopefully replacing it will solve my issue.

Last edited by 89civic-dx; 03-22-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got it to crank but it's still not getting any +12V to any of my injectors or yellow wire going to my resistor box. I connected the 2 yellow/black wire from the DPFI injector clip and add an additional wire to the resistor box, including all my stripe red/black wires from injectors to my resistor. I cut A3 & A7 and ran those wires from the ECU to #2 & #4 injector. A3 and A7 original wires on cabin harness should be hanging loose right?

Is this the correct order for the injectors? I read a few DPFI to MPFI and they have the injectors opposite from one another from mines below.

DIZZY -- INJ 4 (A7) -- INJ 3 (A5) -- INJ 2 (A2) -- INJ 1 (A1) -- CAM GEAR

Fuel primes still, also added 2 extra gallon into the tank but my fuel gauge isn't going up like before.

This is a 89 Civic DX with 91 Civic DX auto chassis harness with 89 Civic DX manual harness. I did jump the 2 big black wires together near the shifter since this is an auto cabin harness.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There has to be someone who ran into this problem before? Any suggestions will be great!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Keyboard Humorist

The +12 comes from the main relay.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto the above, if there is no power out of the fuel injector relay, [in the PGM-FI Main Relay] then you will not have power to the injectors, IGP1 and IGP2 [at ECU] or some engine sensors/valves.

Drop the PGM-FI Main Relay and test the fuel injector output, if no power check and make sure relay has all 3 powers, a 12V constant, hot at all times, a 12V switched, hot in run and start, a 12V switched, hot in start only. 94