Notices

alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap.

car: 89 CRX SI
suspension: maxshit coilovers on tokico shitblues, ingalls front camber kit, DA knuckles and rear trailing arms, 88 CRX SI rear lower control arms.

the problem: after knuckle swap, the front tires looked like they were at positive camber, and toed in enough to create waves in the tread. car pulled all over the place in slippery conditions. lots of slop in the steering. brakes kicked ***, though.

took it to my friend's at the tire shop for an alignment.

before: after:
toe toe
left front 1.58 degrees toed in. 0 degrees toe
right front 1.61 degrees toed in. 0.02 degrees toe
camber camber
left front camber -.7 degrees left front -.6 degrees
right front camber -1 degree. right front-1 degree

i stayed in the car for the alignment. car drives soooo much better now, tracks perfectly, corners better, no more slop in the wheel. i definitely reccomend the DA front knuckles for the brake upgrade, worth the $20 extra for an alignment.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:50 AM

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (wreckedhatch)

Since when does one stay in the car for an alignment?
You are really close on your settings, but I would want to see them without you in there.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (jc836)

an alignment is actually better if your siting int he car. it loads the suspension to actualy driving conditions..
Old 10-26-2002, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (johnzm)

exactly. i always have someone close to my weight sit in my car when i align it. you have no idea how much it changes the specs with the car laden.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:22 AM

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (wreckedhatch)

Very interesting response. I wonder then why in over 35 years-NO shop has had me sit in a car during an alignment. The chassis shops I have used have been around for a very long time. I've even been in race shops that don't do it with you onboard. The factory spec is for an unloaded car, except in some cases a full fuel load.
I am aware of doing some corner weighting this way under unusual circumstances. Have you noticed that the NASCAR crowd are now using scales to do setups? But I see NO drivers in the cars.

Seriously-thanks for your point of view.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:00 PM

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (jc836)

my friends did the alignment for me at their tire shop, and i figure that it makes sense for the car to be aligned with me in it, as i will be in it when it is driving. being way out of specs was worth it for the new stopping power, have taken a few friends for rides (both own 90-91 CRX SI's) and they would have hit their heads on the dash if not for the seatbelts. whiplash!! yeah.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:14 PM

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (ridge racer 2)

while nascar is redneck ****, they still have a lot of rocket science in those chassis, and are precisely corner weighted, because that alone can make or brake the car's handling. main reason i don't like nascar is because a lot of the race depends on how fast you can change your tires. who cares? "git tha impackt gun, darryl! wee gotta put tha taaaarrrr back oooonn!"
Old 10-29-2002, 10:07 PM

while nascar is redneck ****, they still have a lot of rocket science in those chassis, and are precisely corner weighted, because that alone can make or brake the car's handling. main reason i don't like nascar is because a lot of the race depends on how fast you can change your tires. who cares? "git tha impackt gun, darryl! wee gotta put tha taaaarrrr back oooonn!"
Now THAT is funny.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:51 AM

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (Milan)

Want to pick on my friends in Charlotte thats cool. Then how about F1. Guess what-they are rocket science and use 16 (count em) people to do a pit stop. They cars are built around the driver and are carefully corner weighted and aligned without the driver onboard initially. I will agree that cars that only turn left are set up differently than those that turn both ways (I've also driven them), but the basic chassis setup has to start somewhere and it is without the driver onboard.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welll your problem is the DA knuckles....think about it...the integra uses a taller spring.....also a taller knuckle....

find yourself some 90-91 civic EX knuckles and youll be set

Old 10-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (eraser)

I have the same setup on my 91 HF, and it's great. I don't have any problems with weird camber and my car is lowered about 1.5in. This was of course after an alingmnent which is needed.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:37 AM

Default Re: alignment specs after DA knuckle and rear trailing arms swap. (REDBARON)

i am happy with the knuckles i have, so finding some EX knuckles is not my concern. i just wish i had some stiffer suspension components as my cheap maxspeed coils probably won't like autocross/ road racing.