Notices

AC/Heater fan switch

Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC/Heater fan switch

I have noticed in the morning my cars fan switch is very hard to slide when its cold out... Like the grease in the lever is frozen and wont let it freely move.

Once the car is warmed up and the heater has been running awhile the lever moves around nice and smooth.. So is this a known problem? Is there an easy fix?

Thinking of spraying in some wd-40 and hoping it will dissolve the grease or whatever gums it up.

Just looking to see if anyone has ever dealt with this and how hey solved it.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: AC/Heater fan switch

Originally Posted by jooky5
I have noticed in the morning my cars fan switch is very hard to slide when its cold out... Like the grease in the lever is frozen and wont let it freely move. Once the car is warmed up and the heater has been running awhile the lever moves around nice and smooth.. So is this a known problem? Is there an easy fix?
I do not know if it is a known problem, but my 91 Civic's fan switch had exactly the same symptoms recently. I have taken apart Civic Climate Control Units about four times now, and even have a junkyard one sitting in my shop, so all told it was a pretty easy fix for me.

My Chilton's manual's steps for removing the 91 Civic's CCU are unusually good. Here is the fix I did:
--Unfasten electrical connectors as needed during these steps.
--Remove the panel that surrounds the radio and CCU (should be four screws; open the glove compartment and fuse box yada lower panel to get to them all).
--Remove the radio. The screws in the radio face and the two bolts at the rear bottom of the radio are pretty easy to see and get to.
--Partly remove the CCU. Remove screws in the CCU face. Look for at least one screw underneath. I did not have to disconnect any of the mechanical cables.
--Fully pry out the cabin blower switch assembly while the CCU hangs there. See the drawing of the switch at bkhondaparts.com for your year etc. of Civic under "heater control."
--Disassemble the switch assembly at a workbench. A precision screwdriver (like 1.4 mm width head) helps a lot with prying apart parts like this. You gotta kinda probe carefully with parts like this to see where the tabs etc. are that are holding the part together. There are some tiny ball bearings and springs in there, so work at a table that will catch parts as the switch assembly comes apart.

The junkyard CCU from a 1992-95 Civic that I have was a good reference for figuring out how the switch assembly comes out. The switches for my 91 and the 92-95 are almost but not quite identical.

I used grease that came with a the plastic(?) gears for a rebuild of my garage door opener. Very thick and kinda granular; thicker than white lithium grease I would say. Otherwise I think I would have tried white lithium or maybe even brake caliper grease. I think these Civics' dashes get really hot, so ISTM thicker is better.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WD40 was the easy fix