Notices

? about future motor swap? I need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about future motor swap? I need some guidance

Well heres the scoop right now ive got my DX motor still but Ive also got a a6 head and intake manifold....and Ill be doing the mpfi conversion...soon.

Should I just keep the SOHC setup and build it up(I do burn copius amounts of oil....just not sure if its the head or the block...due to good compression could be valve seals...or oil rings...or both )

Save a lil cash.....do a ZC the right way.....ZC motor...tranny.....Teggy ecu....and rebuild it.....(new bearings/seals) then go all motor with that along with a 50 shot

BTW trying to stay all motor....

Or save up HUGE HUGE amounts of cash......go all out and by winter time Buy a B16 long block.....rebuild it....OH YEAH....(all new internals...the works) peice a tranny with it...prob. J1.....hondata or Zdyne ECU....and just over work that motor

Im leaning towards the b16a cause I need money as of right now.....so I can save all my money and life is grand....plus I just think the b16a is a wide open field to increase power incase I want to go LS/vtec somday....or turbo it.....

Tell me what you would doo......By the way im going to mechanic school...so Ill have tools...and plenty of garage time to put my car to the max.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:07 PM

Default Re: ? about future motor swap? I need some guidance (Kasper 1)

BTW My crx right now is totally gutted....and I already have I/H/E and a high flow cat......

Im looking into more fiberglass parts(doors, hood, FAL windows)
Old 08-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well sounds like you are looking at a large amount of money...the only problem with waiting on a B16...and I am feeling this too because I want one...is that prices may go up...don't know how much, but it's possible.

Personally, I decided I wanted to go B-series after a lot of thought about which to use(D-series, ZC, or B) the biggest problem with the ZC is that it's relatively hard to find parts for just replacement...you can, but you'll have to search and find out which ones from other cars will work...plus I've head that the internals aren't that strong on the ZC...so your statement about rebuilding the bottom end would be wise, but again, by the time you finish all that...you'll have an engine that's cost you just as much as the B16, but with less HP...

Finally, what it all comes down to...is of course...MONEY...good luck to you!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:02 PM

I have one word "addiction". Whatever you get, you will alway's want more! So try to get the most of it the first time.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:59 PM

Default Re: ? about future motor swap? I need some guidance (HybridFiend)

you don't have the option for z6, so i voted a6...b16's just don't run good for some reason...
Old 08-13-2002, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go b16 and just build it up. It will run like new with a good rebuild. The reason people say they don't run well is because they just swap it in. People have to realize that these are used motors and things need to be replaced. I replaced a lot of wear and tear parts before swapping and the motor runs very well.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ? about future motor swap? I need some guidance (91civic)

do it right whatever you get......

but, if you're gonna install a turbo down the road, don't build the motor for NA... it's completely opposite..
Old 08-13-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Re: ? about future motor swap? I need some guidance (Rexman)

I know about turboing a motor and all and that would only be if I went like all drag...which is doubtfull...

This is a fun daily driver and a track car more than anything.....

I like the guy who said Addiction whatever I get Ill want more of it.....so I might as well get the best I can now......I think thats what ive been telling myself the whole time....

Id kinda decided on the b16a to myself too....and knew id have no problems with it after a rebuild....

Id buy a z6 but I just feel if im going to do a swap swap...I want 2 cams.....I mean my friends EK has a d16Y8 in it and the ****** pulls.....I could only imagine what that'd be like in my car.....but then again...I think what a b16 could be like...and I start to change my mind again...

decisions decisions.....and everyone is right it all comes down to money which is my main concern.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ? about future motor swap? I need some guidance (Zit)

you don't have the option for z6, so i voted a6...b16's just don't run good for some reason...
umm ok...if you want to go fast DO NOT waste your money on a d16/zc, yes you can get build them to be quick but try and keep them together...if your going to make a project out of it do a b20vtec it cost that much more (or at least you won't notice it over time) and will destroy any b16
Old 08-14-2002, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ? about future motor swap? I need some guidance (dohcsideSi)

If you can manage to wait, then yeah, I'd say go with the B16 too. But. . . .

I was in a situation like yours a couple months ago. My stock D16a6 was burning 3 quarts a week, and I wanted. . .NEEDED. . something new. I knew I did not want to just DROP IN a B16, so I decided to just do the ZC swap for now.

It did 2 things for me. 1. It replaced my oil burning engine. and 2. it gave me a little extra power to keep me satisfied, allowing me to take my sweet *** time doing the B16 build-up the right way (which is gonna take forever! hahaha).