Notices

91 CRX Si - tranny won't go into gear- replaced pressure plate/throwout bearing twice :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 CRX Si - tranny won't go into gear- replaced pressure plate/throwout bearing twice :(

I'm about to push my 91 CRX Si off a cliff- after spending two full days on seperate weekends working on the car, I am at wits end and hope that someone on this forum knows what I need to do to get my car running again.

One day, pulling up into the driveway, I forced the the shifter into 2nd gear. After coming to a stop, I couldn't pull it out of gear, until I turned the motor off. I immediately tried to start the car, but as soon as I let off the clutch, the car would lunge forward, even though the shifter was in neutral position. I was able to put the shifter into other gears (including reverse), but the car would lunge forward as soon as I let off the clutch.

So I replaced the tranny and installed a new Exedy clutch kit. While car is running, you can't put it into any gear, even with clutch pedal fully pressed. You can put it into all gears with the engine off. If you crank the starter with the car in gear and the clutch pedal in, the car will lundge forward, as if the flywheel is not disengaged from the clutch disc. So I got a new pressure plate and throwout bearing from the merchant/vendor, and replaced it. It still does the same thing.

I have a friend who is a 18 year Honda tech that ran into the same problem with an Exedy clutch kit in an 88 Civic. He replaced the whole clutch kit with OEM parts, and the problem went away.

Can anybody shed some light? Or anybody else experience this scenario with Exedy clutch products?

Me and my buddy have done three clutch jobs using the same Exedy kit (but on different model Hondas, including a 89 CRX Si) and had no problems.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Verified that the disc is not in backwards. Disc even says TM side is on the pressure plate side. Also confirmed that the clutch cable doesn't have play with clutch fully depressed.

Modified by SmobbinSi at 10:01 PM 11/20/2004
Old 11-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 CRX Si - tranny won't go into gear- replaced pressure plate/throwout bearing twice :( (Smobbi

fused gears, u need a new trans
Old 11-20-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: 91 CRX Si - tranny won't go into gear- replaced pressure plate/throwout bearing twice :( (Smobbi

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bernie’sb16crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fused gears, u need a new trans </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SmobbinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So I replaced the tranny and installed a new Exedy clutch kit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the tranny filled up?? Should be 2qts and you should use honda MTF..
Are you sure the cable is attached to the plate on the pedal..It may be popping off when you press in the clutch,,,,
Old 11-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So what you're saying then is that the tranny I bought to replace the first one that I had to replace because of the same problem is also bad?

Also, I confirmed that the cable is not popping off when I press in the clutch all the way.

Anybody else?
Old 11-21-2004, 12:57 AM

your problems is weird..
have tryed putting oe clutch and flywheel back in like the tech said??
Old 11-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...anyone????
Old 11-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try adjusting the clutch cable, i know you may have done this a thousand times but my clutch wont engage when its on also.So what i did was i tried to shift while pressing and depressing my clutch pedal. And finally after doing this a couple times my clutch engaged because i pressed my clutch pedal to a certain angle.Like if the clutch predal can go all the way down..thats around 45 degrees. Mine will only engage if i hold the clutch at 40 degrees. This may not make any sense , but this is what i found out on my car.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SmobbinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So I replaced the tranny and installed a new Exedy clutch kit. While car is running, you can't put it into any gear, even with clutch pedal fully pressed. You can put it into all gears with the engine off. If you crank the starter with the car in gear and the clutch pedal in, the car will lundge forward, as if the flywheel is not disengaged from the clutch disc. So I got a new pressure plate and throwout bearing from the merchant/vendor, and replaced it. It still does the same thing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So trans is brand new right ? And the flywheel does not disengage the pressure plate disengages the clutch disc. Are you sure your clutch cable is working properly ? Are you sure its not broke inside ?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes the axle won't be in all the way and that won't allow you to put it in gear or at least it will make it very difficult.

Make sure your axles are firmly in the tranny.

If you install the lever/spring asembly for the throw-out bearing wrong then it won't go into gear. Make sure you have the right clutch/PP.

This is all the advice I have at the present time.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My friends car is having the same problems, we replaced the clutch and throwout bearing, PP, and clutch cable. Was working fine for a week or so, then we went up to the H-T meet in Torrance and the car just wouldnt go into gear. Found out his clutch pedal broke, hopefully thats all that needs to be fixed. Maybe thats what happened with you too. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same thing happened to me! When i first got my car i only had my beginners license. So i used to sit in the driveway shifting though the gears with it off. Lol.

One time it got stuck.. So i pulled i out. Then i started it up. And even with the clutch in, it would grind in all gears. I would put it in gear, with the clutch in start it, and it would jerk foward.. Wtf.

I tell my dad, im like 'I broke it ' then he goes out, gets in. I hear some tranny grinds and he pulls away.

I see im hes like ' you locked the gears ' Im like wtf.. Okay? Been fine ever since.

-Eric
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 91 CRX Si - tranny won't go into gear- replaced pressure plate/throwout bearing t

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share my experience to spare others frustration. I recently put a single speed excedy clutch in my brothers 91 CRX and then was unable to get it into gear. The car would only go into gear with the engine off and then we could not shift the car into another gear once running. This signaled that the clutch was not disengaging. After dropping the transmission a 2nd time to verify that the clutch was installed correctly as well as the throwout bearing and spring, we had the same problem once we started the car again. To make a long story short if you have the problem of the car not going into gear while running after you put a new clutch in and you are sure that the clutch, throwout bearing and spring are in correctly; start the car in neutral and rev the engine several times. The problem I had was that the clutch disk was sticking, reving the engine in neutral several times freed it and up solved the problem. I hope this helps people.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 CRX Si - tranny won't go into gear- replaced pressure plate/throwout bearing t

I'm having the same problem new clutch and cable still won't go into gear will a bad throw out bearing spring cause this?
Old 12-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef8 h0!
fused gears, u need a new trans
+1 had the same thing happen on my old eclipse.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jtheshowstopppe
I'm having the same problem new clutch and cable still won't go into gear will a bad throw out bearing spring cause this?
Old thread locked. Please create your own thread.