Notices

91 CRX Si Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 CRX Si Help

91 CRX Si.. I just picked this car up for 400$.. Its in decent condition.. But when i was in it today i noticed that it rolls into the gears without being On. But thats not really what bothered me too much as it was the ease that it rolled into these gears.. The shifter its self feels really loose to the touch. Like poke and it moves.
My 95 Honda Civic i have to be a little rougher to get it to move into gears? am i worried over nothing? Or is there some sort of problem with The CRX?

Not a bad looking car for 400$ Right?
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 CRX Si Help

Originally Posted by Purfect
91 CRX Si.. I just picked this car up for 400$.. Its in decent condition.. But when i was in it today i noticed that it rolls into the gears without being On. But thats not really what bothered me too much as it was the ease that it rolled into these gears.. The shifter its self feels really loose to the touch. Like poke and it moves.
My 95 Honda Civic i have to be a little rougher to get it to move into gears? am i worried over nothing? Or is there some sort of problem with The CRX?

Not a bad looking car for 400$ Right?

Its really hard for me to put into text what im trying to say, So if you no one can understand. Let me know if i should try to re-word it
Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a Mazda that you could shake the shifter side to side like neutral while in gear, that what you mean? Sorry idk the cause but it never caused an issue so I just laughed about it and went on.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim512001
I had a Mazda that you could shake the shifter side to side like neutral while in gear, that what you mean? Sorry idk the cause but it never caused an issue so I just laughed about it and went on.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
I mean i can push the shifter into all the gears with very little force.. my Civic if i wanted to throw it into gear while the car is off.. I really gota force it in..
I mean maybe im worried over nothing. But i wasnt sure if it be a linkage problem or maybe even into a transmission problem or a whole nother problem all together.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is odd I think.
The syncros aren't spinning and should be out of alignment. They should be giving some resistance the first time you shift into the gear.

Also strange how you are explaining the shifter moves so freely.
It could be the rubber that holds the shifter is worn, but even at that, I don't think it would give the shifting such an easy feel that you are describing.

While driving, do you even have problem finding gears or getting into them?
Does the shifter move around excessively?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
That is odd I think.
The syncros aren't spinning and should be out of alignment. They should be giving some resistance the first time you shift into the gear.

It could be the rubber that holds the shifter is worn, but even at that, I don't think it would give the shifting such an easy feel that you are describing.

I actually havent drove the vehicle yet.. The guy told me the valve seats are bent/ and the car is way out of time so it wont even run at the moment.
But my buddy (its sitting at his shop) got in the car and moved the shifter told me about it so i came over and tested it myself.. and it just moves soo freely.
but the guy told me when he last drove about 3 weeks ago.. that it was an absolute dream to drive he was only selling it cause he needed a bigger car for his kids, But he informed about the current problems.. but im not sure if he omitted the Gear shift on purpose or maybe he didnt know about it. He rebuilt most of the car himself and im not sure if he didnt get around to that or just didnt know it wasnt suppose to be that loose.
Not meaning to write a novel.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
That is odd I think.

I was thinking about just replacing most of that area anyways.. While i was working on the car to get it going.
But ive been asking everyone i know, who's opinion is worth anything to me on this situation and no one has a clue.. SO im asking the Honda Guru's basically. everytime i have a honda trouble this forum knocks it down in a few days.