Notices

91 Crx Hf vin

Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Crx Hf vin

I found out my si has to much rust damage to the floor and trunk you cant even mount a bumper on it there might as well not be a floor or rockers it is just falling apart. So i bought a 91 hf shell gutted with no motor only suspension and wheels. But there is no title the guy bought it off his buddy for the motor and his buddy never got the title fully in his name dont ask me why. What i want to do is put my vins off my rex on it i no there is the dash vin door jam vin and the engine bay vin. But how do i go about doing this.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 Crx Hf vin

The DMV has a process for registering a vehicle without a title. For a shell I doubt it would be very much more than a normal register.

I don't think what you want to do is legal.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds pretty illegal to me.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You cant do what you suggest it is illegal.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

switching vins is indeed illegal go to the dmv they will give u a form and get u ur title :]
Old 02-21-2011, 06:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 88_Rex_Si
I found out my si has to much rust damage to the floor and trunk you cant even mount a bumper on it there might as well not be a floor or rockers it is just falling apart. So i bought a 91 hf shell gutted with no motor only suspension and wheels. But there is no title the guy bought it off his buddy for the motor and his buddy never got the title fully in his name dont ask me why. What i want to do is put my vins off my rex on it i no there is the dash vin door jam vin and the engine bay vin. But how do i go about doing this.
All what i'm goin to say is that what youe talking about doing is not legal. and if someone doesn't have the title for it you should buy it. Because I can sell you a 2007 Ford GT for $5000.00 with not title if you like?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know... what if you honestly lost the title in a house fire or something?
There has to be a way to replace the title to the last registered owner.
But what if they died in the fire?

There has to be a way to deal with this.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A guy I know used to race back in the day. when he got new shells to replace his GTO shell he would swap vins from his old shell to the new. If you ask me either way the car is "yours" if you pay for it. Only thing is I heard there are "hidden" vins. someone was talking about vin swapping a jdm crx here on ht b4

Last edited by gnxpro24; 02-21-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 4drEF
I don't know... what if you honestly lost the title in a house fire or something?
There has to be a way to replace the title to the last registered owner.
But what if they died in the fire?

There has to be a way to deal with this.
You can get a new title. If you don't mined going thore ALOUT of BS and paying more then $500.00+ then there is your new title.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just switch it i wont tell
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya i figured it was but if people can steal cars and do this i think i can do it without a problem when the car is not stolen so its not like the cops are going to be looking for it. After im done the other car is getting scraped there wont be any parts i will need after putting the shell tougher. O and if you would of had a new camaro i would of bought that for $5000.00.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't do a VIN swap man, It's like a 10,000$ fine. I've done a title transfer like this though, easiest thing to do....

Go to DMV and bring them the VIN for the car you need a title for. Ask them to look up the phone number of the person who last registered it. Call the person and have them write you out a bill of sale. Bring bill of sale to DMV and do a title transfer.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes there are 3 places the VIN is located. It is on the dashboard which is a little plate that easily replaced, and the 2nd is on the firewall. Now you could probably do the dash thing but I have no clue how you would go about changing the firewall VIN, and the 3rd can easily be attributed to a motor swap.

But yes like the others said, heavy fine, possible jail, blah blah. Don't do it man.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ya i figured it was but if people can steal cars and do this i think i can do it without a problem when the car is not stolen so its not like the cops are going to be looking for it. After im done the other car is getting scraped there wont be any parts i will need after putting the shell tougher. O and if you would of had a new camaro i would of bought that for $5000.00.
This makes very little sense.

You're opening yourself up to such a high risk for such a little return.

Call your local DMV and look into how you would be able to get a new title for the car. If it's not worth it, try to sell the car without a title to someone else willing to go through the trouble.

Life Tip: Before you commit a crime, don't ask for advice online.

Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code
10802. Any person who knowingly alters, counterfeits, defaces,
destroys, disguises, falsifies, forges, obliterates, or removes
vehicle identification numbers, with the intent to misrepresent the
identity or prevent the identification of motor vehicles or motor
vehicle parts, for the purpose of sale, transfer, import, or export,
is guilty of a public offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished
by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months, or two or three
years, or by a fine of not more than twenty-five thousand dollars
($25,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment, or by up to one year
in the county jail, or by a fine of not more than one thousand
dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well one could also say that asking for advice online is the best place to do it. Because of the anonymity nobody is really going to turn this guy in. We don't even know his name.

I am sure people have swapped VINs and gotten away with it, but if you don't know what you are doing, then the best way to learn is to ask.

But be careful 88_rex_Si. Talking about it on this forum might get you banned. Safer thing would be to use the search function.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vg_Ace
Well one could also say that asking for advice online is the best place to do it. Because of the anonymity nobody is really going to turn this guy in. We don't even know his name.

I am sure people have swapped VINs and gotten away with it, but if you don't know what you are doing, then the best way to learn is to ask.

But be careful 88_rex_Si. Talking about it on this forum might get you banned. Safer thing would be to use the search function.
I think a lot of time people overestimate how anonymous they really are online. Most web forums need an email address at least in order to activate the account.

I've called the police on people before who have posted their crimes online. A guy stole a radio out of a car and then posted about how funny it was. of course I was going to report that crap. Theft and scams like these open anyone in the Honda scene up to issues.

I am glad that at least he asked before he went and did something he might regret. Maybe his eyes have been opened by some of the posts on here. OP, if you check out the California DMV site or call them tomorrow, you should be able to find some instruction on how to start things rolling on getting the title for the car you just bought. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i don't want to go to jail that is exactly why i started this thread to see i have not yet bought the car and im still debating if i wanted to. I was also considering just buying the car for what i need and cutting out all the floor pans and having a body shop fab them along with the rockers into my car because my welder dose no have enough penetration for any structural welding.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In ga we have something called a bonded title.

I filled out the paperwork.

Called the cops, they ran the vin (looking to make sure not stolen)

filled out paperwork. Said there you go have a nice day.

Took paperwork to dmv.

Got new title in 6-8 weeks.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a vw bug in hs with no title

lady said it was her mans friends who died at war

her man was in jail and she was moving before

he got out

in ca they will give u the last address of the regjstered owner

you can either sign it your self or go over and have them

sign it good luck dont be stupid the honda scene has enough

dumbasses already
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cut it out of the firewall and weld it into yours and grind down the welds
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i told him i was no longer intrested in it without the title and he is trying to get a new one now. all he has to do is have the previous owner file for a lost/stole title because it was never fully in his name then bam new title unsigned

Edit: I found someone who wants to trade his 95 civic for my 88 crx he is coming sat to look at it he blew a head gasket in his civic and must not want to replace but o well ill take it and fix it for this anything to get ride of my crx and a nicer car he just wants something he can drive.

Last edited by 88_Rex_Si; 02-24-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Traded the crx for a 95 civic ran great just some cosmetic active build theread link here:http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=201265