Notices

91 civic si ac compressor prob

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 91 civic si ac compressor prob

recently the ac has stopped working in my 91 civic. i was driving and noticed the compressor wasnt on anymore. the air has never been real cold in the car but its done the job.. i bypassed the pressure switch and the compressor kicks on. ive also added 2 cans of refridgerant and doin so the compressor comes on as well as the fan. am i right to asume i merely need a recharge? i figured the 2nd can would do the trick but i guess not. i dont wanna add anymore and damage the compressor or something. thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 91 civic si ac compressor prob

bypassing the pressure switch is not smart, it's there for a reason. as soon as you realized there was a problem you should have taken it to someone who knows how to work on a/c systems. at this point you should take it to someone qualified and tell them to evacuate the system and recharge it with the appropriate amount of r134a. if they don't find any problems with the system at this point then you'll want to start doing your own troubleshooting.

now when you say bypass the switch did you just run a power wire from the battery to the compressor, or did you route power from one side of the switch to the other? i'm trying to figure out whether the climate control panel is telling the compressor to kick on or not. now assuming there was power on one side of the switch and you simply routed it around then that means your switch is either sensing too low or too high of pressure.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 91 civic si ac compressor prob

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
bypassing the pressure switch is not smart, it's there for a reason. as soon as you realized there was a problem you should have taken it to someone who knows how to work on a/c systems. at this point you should take it to someone qualified and tell them to evacuate the system and recharge it with the appropriate amount of r134a. if they don't find any problems with the system at this point then you'll want to start doing your own troubleshooting.

now when you say bypass the switch did you just run a power wire from the battery to the compressor, or did you route power from one side of the switch to the other? i'm trying to figure out whether the climate control panel is telling the compressor to kick on or not. now assuming there was power on one side of the switch and you simply routed it around then that means your switch is either sensing too low or too high of pressure.

i merely unplugged the sensor pigtail and looped the 2 connections with a piece of wire. when i pressed the ac button the compressor kicked on. i only did this for a short period before turning the ac off. i just recently bought this hatch so im unsure when the last recharge was. i used the ac for about 2 weeks before it quit working. im gona make an app to get it recharged next week, hope thats all it takes. i usually just pull the ac out cause it never works to begin with but i actually left it in this si after the swap.