Notices

91 Civic now leaking oil/tranny fluid after Clutch repair?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 91 Civic now leaking oil/tranny fluid after Clutch repair?!

I took my all stock 91 Honda Civic LX to a recommended mechanic from a friend of mine to have the clutch replaced with a Exedy Clutch kit. My mechanic ended up having to do the clutch job twice due to an incorrect clutch disk being shipped to me (long story; very pissed off with a particular ebay seller which caused me to be charged additional amount for labor and to purchase a compatible clutch disk locally). Anyway, my mechanic advised me that I had a tranny leak and my transmission fluid was low when he drained it. I had replaced the transmission fluid a couple years ago with genuine honda fluid and did not notice any leaking at all. I did not have any leaks since I took it to him and now my car is leaking! Now it is possible that if my fluid was low (below a point that would cause it leak?) to not have noticed because of persistent valve cover and distributor leak I've had the past couple years that is now resolved.

I know by doing nothing, time will eventually tell where the leak is actually coming from (engine oil or transmission). My mechanic replaced my rear main seal, fly wheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing during the job. I asked him more about the leak and he assured me it was not leaking at the axle seals and at some other point in the transmission. Here are my questions:

1) Is there anything I can do to quickly find the problem? Any tips besides cleaning everything, putting it on jacks and constantly checking?
2) Is there anything my mechanic may have done that could cause the leak having to do the clutch job twice?
3) Any most likely guesses what it might be considering I had a clutch job done and also a rear main seal replaced?

I appreciate any help. I haven't been too thrilled with the work done; the new clutch solved my slipping problem, but my car doesn't feel as "zippy" and quick as my 90 hatch used to feel with the same kit. I'm also noticing a new "scratching" noise when pressing the clutch pedal in. Perhaps I just need a new oem clutch cable? My clutch pedal feels hard like it did before. My 90 civic felt super light to press... I'm hoping this is a clutch cable issue.

Thanks,
Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 91 Civic now leaking oil/tranny fluid after Clutch repair?!

The only place I've had a tranny leak other than the input seals is at the shift linkage where there are seals and boots that wear out over time. This is more of a common problem than you'd think.

https://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto...ft-holder-scat

part 2
Old 08-24-2017, 01:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually it's not so much as the boot as the seal but I'm not sure where to find yours since you use a non hydraulic shifter but there should be a seal somewhere
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on where the leak is, it's possible that replacing the rear main seal can cause a leak. If it is improperly installed or doesn't line up correctly, you could get an oil leak. If the oil is coming from the bottom of the tranny, right where it meets the block, that is a sign of rear main seal failure.