Notices

91 civic fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 civic fuel issue

Pump went out almost a year ago. I havent done any thing to the car.

It just died out on me and I had to get towed.

Finally bought another pump? thinking it would fix things. I did the pump but got no power. So what I did was jump a HOT off the ignition. Its actually a black wire I pugged into which has 3 other wires, A black, black with white, yellow.. and something else. Its on the left side under dash, 4 prong connector.

I got the fuel to pump to the filter and register pressure. I tried cranking the car and no signs of firing. Dumped a few gallons of gas in and still nothing.

Pressure was at 43 psi on rail with key on. Instantly after key turned off the fuel pressure goes down to 0. Anyone have any tips/advice?

I cracked the fuel line off filter to rail. I grabbed a jar and made sure its pumping which it is. I am wondering if this could be fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator related?

Trying to get the car to run.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 91 civic fuel issue

I don't think it is the fuel pressure regulator because you are getting pressure when it is on.

I'd replace the fuel filter for sure and definitely NOT reuse the gas that has been in there. Usually fuel pumps die because they get clogged up with junk and overheat. At least, that's what I've seen.

Did you try to reset the ECU and fire the car normally? Does it pop out any codes?
Old 09-14-2015, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just dug out some paper work and a manual for the Vtec so hopefully I can figure something out.

I do want to replace the filter as I suspected a clog, But if its going to the rail or the line to the rail IDK? I am starting to think the injectors are the issue.

All the cranking and NO gas on plugs or smell. Im reading about voltage to the injectors, with the key on I have NO POWER.

I ended up emptying the tank back in JUNE? when I had a minute of free time to work on the car. It was easier for me to empty it and work with a light tank.

RESET ECU? what pull a fuse?

Not seeing any codes.

Goiung to go up to the car in about a half hour see if I can fine any new info or what not.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tested under hood on all fire wall connections. No power anywhere.

Tested ecu terminals no power.

Fusebox has 12v out. Or in at least. Ecu fuse is a 15a and is good with voltage.

Can anyone help? Bad ecu? Bad wire somewhere??
Old 09-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

sounds to me like you may need to replace the main relay
Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a new relay in and it didnt change anything. I ended up buying another and it was a spare i got stuck with and that does not change things either.

No spark.
No Fuel injection.
No Power @ ecu.

I am leaning towards a ICM inside the distributor. Or a broken wire some where.

I just dug out years of paper work and found the stuff I had like 7 years ago when I did the swap.

I am hoping a ICM fix things.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No power at the ECU is the first thing I would be checking. I don't imagine anything else will fix no power at your ECU.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I tested around and I have some voltage there, not sure what. something lit up 12v.

I had the thought it could be the ICM in the dist. but dont know. Called a friend for some imput and he dont call back. So im like on my own Car does not have spark so I thought the ICM could of blown out again.

Now I am not sure if the ICM controls the Injectors and all that but nothing is seeing the power.

I bought another cheap ICM and wating for it to come in. Something to try before I rip more apart.