Notices

90 SI Hatch almost dies when testing new axle (help!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 SI Hatch almost dies when testing new axle (help!)

replaced the front axle yesterday, no more clicks, seems to turn smoothly, except I ran into what seems to be a completely separate issue..
after replacing the axle, I took it out for a drive to make sure it was turning without any clicking or issues, and I took a right turn at a decent
amount of speed while accelerating (2nd gear) hard through the turn and the car felt like it lost about 50-60% of it's power for about 2 seconds..
almost felt like the car was about to die on me.. then it was perfectly fine again as if nothing happened.. No idea what could cause that? did a
search, didn't find anything to match exactly what happened..

think of a stop light that's green and you're making a right.. but rather than make that right like a civil human being, you make that right
like you were in a street course race.. I made the turn while in 2nd gear, and accelerated pretty hard through the turn and that's when
the vehicle suddenly started to bog for 1 to 2 seconds.. almost felt like the car was going to die.. then it suddenly picks up again and
was fine after those couple seconds.. any ideas? when I got home, I didn't find any leaks or anything.. car seemed to drive the rest of
the way home perfectly fine aside from that lil issue..

90 Civic Hatchback SI (ED6)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 90 SI Hatch almost dies when testing new axle (help!)

How much fuel was in the car when this happened? If you were fairly low, like 1/4 tank or less, you may have just sloshed the remaining fuel away from the pickup momentarily and caused it. Also, have you tried to do the same type of maneuver again? Depending on what tranny/diff your running it could have simply bogged down because of the load on the engine and the new axle just locks up better than the old worn out unit and therefore doesn't have any excess play. Try it again and report back whether it happens regularly.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy mentioned that this is "normal" in these older Civics, but I've owned older Hondas and NEVER ran into an issue like this.
He said similar to what you said, that maybe the fuel pickups (or whatever they're called) weren't able to do their job properly when
I hit the sharp right turn at a moderate speed.. I have just under a half tank of gas though. After some research, I'm thinking MAYBE
the issue is due to over gapped spark plugs, possibly something to do with the ignition? I just got this Hatch from a buddy that
passed away, so who KNOWS? He was always great with his cars, but he let the brake pads and the rotors get completely worn..

One thing for sure, it's definitely not "normal" as one of my other friends said...
As soon as I let up on the gas a little bit, the car seemed to correct itself and drove the rest of the way home without any issues..

The good news? The axle seems to be working great! no more clicks, and can finally do U-Turns without pissing off the traffic behind
me from taking my sweet *** time lmaoo

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
How much fuel was in the car when this happened? If you were fairly low, like 1/4 tank or less, you may have just sloshed the remaining fuel away from the pickup momentarily and caused it. Also, have you tried to do the same type of maneuver again? Depending on what tranny/diff your running it could have simply bogged down because of the load on the engine and the new axle just locks up better than the old worn out unit and therefore doesn't have any excess play. Try it again and report back whether it happens regularly.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The battery is in the rear hatch inside of a box that's not tightened down as much as I'd like..
that's one thing I forgot to check after that hard right turn.. could maybe the battery moving a
bit cause what I experienced?

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
Old 04-10-2017, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This seems to match what I'm experiencing.. I'm not sure if the hard right turn had anything to do with this happening?
Or if it was just the fact that I was accelerating hard through 2nd gear with the pedal to the floor.. I've only had the car
for a week, so I still haven't driven it all that much yet.. but I have went from a dead stop in 1st and ripped through the
first 2 or 3 gears without any problems when driving straight.. that's why I feel the sharp turn PLUS the acceleration
played into the issue.. grrrrr :\

Engine Hesitation

• An engine that hesitates, or stumbles, upon acceleration is often the result of incorrectly gapped spark plugs. If spark plugs are gapped too wide, the ignition spark loses some of its strength as it crosses the spark plug gaps. This can result in engine hesitation
Would help if I knew that the above issue is experienced even more during hard turns/hard acceleration..
Old 04-10-2017, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you remove the hub ring from inside the knuckle?

Cheap replacement axles need this to be removed. The whole wheel will bind if you don't.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1262754875
Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're thinking this could be why the car is bogging on hard right turns when heavily accelerating?
or are you just simply asking since I mentioned that I just replaced the axle?

honestly I'm not 100% sure if this was removed.. my buddy helped me out. by helping me, I mean
that I basically just watched him do it and supplied him with endless amounts of Red Bull lmaoo
I'm still learning about cars and I wanted him to do it for me the first time so I could watch.. don't
remember the ring though.. he's been working on Hondas for YEARS though.. so I feel like he'd
most likely have removed it?

Originally Posted by Tyson
Did you remove the hub ring from inside the knuckle?

Cheap replacement axles need this to be removed. The whole wheel will bind if you don't.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1262754875
Old 04-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

im pretty certain actually.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE - now the car dies as of today. It started first try, but definitely not right away.. then about 20 seconds later the car died.
I tried to start it a good 3 or 4 times but gave up, because I had to head back to work, so I jumped in the VW Hatch to get back to work.
I'm assuming whatever caused the car to bog through that right hand hard accelerated turn is also what's causing the car to now die
and now having issues with starting up? Grr... everything seemed good yesterday..

Now on order.. NGK spark plugs, NGK wires, Distributor Cap, front break pads and rotors getting installed tomorrow.. hmmmm
Now that the car is not starting, that would definitely change your assumption of the knuckle ring right? @Tyson

With the little bit of research I've done thus far, I'm thinking it may be the Map sensor? Would that cause it to not start and also the
bogging issues I'm experiencing with trying to punch the gas while in 2nd gear lower rpms? I also was thinking MAYBE the spark
plugs just need replacement or a gapping issues with them?

EDIT - I was removing 3 of the 4 spark plug wires from the head in order to prevent it from being stolen (AS EASILY).. I would just
pull them out and leave them on the block hanging and then closed the hood.. was wondering if MAYBE dirt or something got inside
the wire boot and was having difficulty with the connection to a plug or two? hmmm

Last edited by Pico; 04-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pico
UPDATE - now the car dies as of today. It started first try, but definitely not right away.. then about 20 seconds later the car died.
I tried to start it a good 3 or 4 times but gave up, because I had to head back to work, so I jumped in the VW Hatch to get back to work.
I'm assuming whatever caused the car to bog through that right hand hard accelerated turn is also what's causing the car to n ow die
and now having issues with starting up? Grr... everything seemed good yesterday..

Now on order.. NGK spark plugs, NGK wires, Distributor Cap, front break pads and rotors getting installed tomorrow.. hmmmm
Now that the car is not starting, that would definitely change your assumption of the knuckle ring right? @Tyson

With the little bit of research I've done thus far, I'm thinking it may be the Map sensor? Would that cause it to not start and also the
bogging issues I'm experiencing with trying to punch the gas while in 2nd gear lower rpms? I also was thinking MAYBE the spark
plugs just need replacement or a gapping issues with them?

EDIT - I was removing 3 of the 4 spark plug wires from the head in order to prevent it from being stolen (AS EASILY).. I would just
pull them out and leave them on the block hanging and then closed the hood.. was wondering if MAYBE dirt or something got inside
the wire boot and was having difficulty with the connection to a plug or two? hmmm
Do your simple checks and see if you have fuel and spark. If you have spark, check your fuel filter/fuel pump. If you have no spark, check your plugs, distributor, ignitor etc. Also, for anti-theft instead of taking the plug wires in the house with you just take the ecu with you.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

found out it was simply because the gas gauge is not operating properly.. I just got the car a couple weeks
ago and the gauge showed it had a half tank of gas or more in it. well... turns out the gauge is simply not
working and it was actually completely bone dry on gas... replaced plugs, dizzy cap, rotor, wires etc. all to
finally realize it was just out of gas haha.. now it's just having a slight issue with revving from about 800rpm
up to about 1100 rpm while sitting in idle after it's warmed up.. thinking I just need to adjust the throttle cable
or possibly that bolt that tightens it?

thanks for the responses @B20Vtec @Tyson