Notices

'90 hatchback rain water leaking in driver's side - where??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 hatchback rain water leaking in driver's side - where??

Floor's been wet for weeks.

Not sure where the water is leaking in, but pretty sure it's still coming in vs. still there from a week or so ago - hard to tell for sure, though, as there was enough water to begin pooling on the carpet underneath my floor mat and in the back passenger foot area.

I did pop the hood and run a garden hose for a while to flush out the drains there. I also unplugged the ones at the back of the bottom of the front fenders and the front hinge areas of the doors. A lot of tree junk came out of there. I thought this might solve the problem once water was free flowing through those, but I don't think it has.

I can't tell where water is coming in. Not sure if it's the top/bottom of the door, or by one of those drains, or via the firewall. The carpet is damp up under the pedals - but it could be wicking up vs. coming in there.

Where are all the common spots for water to be leaking in these cars? There's got to be at least one I've missed. It'd be nice if this is a quick drain unplug fix and/or silicone job.. because if I can't find & fix it soon I'm gonna start drilling holes in the floor to drain the water out.

Don't really care too much about this car. It's a (reliable!) transportation appliance with dings and bruises and I get it muddy with my work boots - but I still don't want it to get all funky and moldy and have to breathe that ****.

Help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '90 hatchback rain water leaking in driver's side - where??

From my experience, its from the very top corner or under your hood hinges, haven't yet fixed mine completely, least you have a clue
Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stella88
From my experience, its from the very top corner or under your hood hinges, haven't yet fixed mine completely, least you have a clue

Very top corner of what? Windshield? A-pillar?

I've flushed out the drains under the hood hinges and they appear to be flowing freely.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From my experiences, after you make sure the grommets in the cowl are good, its usually the windshield's urethane that has come up or separated.

If you have fender liners in the car it shouldnt be the door seals.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never could figure out where the water is getting in for sure.

The left edge of the drivers seat was a bit damp a couple times, so maybe it's dripping in from the top of the door?

Not really sure.

One day when I got to work there was a few inches of water sloshing around on the drivers side floor.. so, fed up with the nonsense, I pulled out my drill and put about 20 holes in the floor - 10 in low spots in front of the drivers seat, and 10 in low spots behind it. I have no idea where the water is getting in, but I know where it's getting out! :D