Notices

90 civic hazards work but no electric- need help car wont start! electircal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 civic hazards work but no electric- need help car wont start! electircal

Hello, I have a 1990 honda civic DX 150k miles automatic.

Basically,

I turn the key and nothing happens, no power to dash lights at all. I am sure the battery is powered because the hazards work. The hazards are the only thing that works, lights don't even work.

Now this is the start of the problems, yesterday I left the day lights on for a few hours and killed the battery. So I am stuck in this spot when I go to jump the car I might have f'd up a couple things. 1. I had to hit the shift lock release to put the car in neatural without the key so I could push the car out of the spot backwards. ( VERY ODD, make a buzzing/clicking sound ) Have no idea why!!?? no key in the ignition why would it make that sound. and 2. I am an idiot and it was dark I connected the jumper cables backwards. - After charge for 15 min, hazards still work but nothing else, when I put the key in and turn NOTHING.

So this morning I jumped it again, but this time checked all the fuses in car and under hood - I noticed a 15v was popped under the hood, so I removed all my working ones inside the card ( the radio fuse ) and placed it under the hood and WALLA the car started UP?!

I drove around for 30 minutes making sure the batter was charged up.

Then when I parked I shut of and tried to start back up again... NOTHING, no electric at all coming to the dash when turning key, but hazards still work!

I do not think its the battery because 1. the hazards work fine, 2. usually when its the batter the dash lights come on and then it trys to start just doesnt have enough juice.. well im not getting anything when I turn the key.

Any suggestion? Please I am here refreshing my window so I will answer and also post the solution when found. ( google searched couldnt find anything )

(( another symptom lately I noticed thats odd is that I have to wait usually a couple minutes after I stop and put the car in PARK before the car will let me take out the key from the ignition. If i try to do it to fast the P doesnt light up in the dash and it gets stuck in the ignition, eventually when the car wants to it eventually put the car in park and highlights the red P in dash and the key comes out ))

Maybe its something to do with my ignition? How can I check to see why no power is coming when I turn my car key!

Thanks

Need help from a honda ninja to give me some tips.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90 civic hazards work but no electric- need help car wont start! electircal

I didn't read it all because after you said you jumped it while the connectors we're backwards..... well there's nothing else to say. Just go to walmart and get a new battery. Go from there.

Also: No Start Diagnosis 101 https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%2A%2A%2A-basics-no-start-diagnosis-101-%2A%2A%2A-1992733/
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 90 civic hazards work but no electric- need help car wont start! electircal

Thank Nooch, I will take you advice. Soon as i can get a ride or call a cab.

- I only had the cables backwards for a minute.

- If my battery is dead - wouldnt my hazards not work? Please read the rest of the post - if it is anything else I should get that comes to mind while I am at pep-boys I would like to get it there rather then come back and have to cab it again.

THANK FOR THE DIAGNOSIS 101 - but it has nothing to do with my problem.

The car works fine - it just will not start (no power nothing) when I turn the ignition nothing happens at all - even if the battery if fully charge still when turning the key no dash lights.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same issue with mine also. the hazard lights on the cluster stay lit i unplugged the hazard fuze and it would start once i plugged it back in. not sure what is wrong with my wiring but i havent touched anything under the dash only tucked the ebay.

bump for a conclusion
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Trial User

Its not the battery - just picked up a new one still nothing.

Hazards work! Nothing else. any ideas? Like I said when I put the car into neutral and moved it backwards to make room for to jump start the car it made a buzzing/clicking noise for a minute - I supposedly had not charge and the key was not in the ignition.

So what else can i look for?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the 60A fusible link in the hood fuse box. Hooking up the cables backwards can damage that. It should be the yellow one. Also check the second fusible link, either green, red, or brown.

A battery doesn't have to be completely dead to not start a car. It can have enough of a charge to power up some lights, but not enough to actually start it.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also figure out which 15A fuse you replaced. It could be the one for the main relay. If that is the case, the relay is probably going bad or you have a short in the wiring for the main relay.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Trial User

SOLVED

Thank You FSRslug.

It was the 60a fuse under the hood for the Battery...

It was not the actual battery I spent 90 dollars for nothing.

So if you ever cross jumper terminals and the car wont start ( no electric at all ), check the fuse.

Thanks honda-tech
Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Trial User

Had the same issue with mine. Reversed the jumpers by accident when trying to jump on my roommate's passat. Checked out this thread and it was the 60A fuse. THANKS!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by muhupower
Hello, I have a 1990 honda civic DX 150k miles automatic.

Basically,

I turn the key and nothing happens, no power to dash lights at all. I am sure the battery is powered because the hazards work. The hazards are the only thing that works, lights don't even work.

Now this is the start of the problems, yesterday I left the day lights on for a few hours and killed the battery. So I am stuck in this spot when I go to jump the car I might have f'd up a couple things. 1. I had to hit the shift lock release to put the car in neatural without the key so I could push the car out of the spot backwards. ( VERY ODD, make a buzzing/clicking sound ) Have no idea why!!?? no key in the ignition why would it make that sound. and 2. I am an idiot and it was dark I connected the jumper cables backwards. - After charge for 15 min, hazards still work but nothing else, when I put the key in and turn NOTHING.

So this morning I jumped it again, but this time checked all the fuses in car and under hood - I noticed a 15v was popped under the hood, so I removed all my working ones inside the card ( the radio fuse ) and placed it under the hood and WALLA the car started UP?!

I drove around for 30 minutes making sure the batter was charged up.

Then when I parked I shut of and tried to start back up again... NOTHING, no electric at all coming to the dash when turning key, but hazards still work!

I do not think its the battery because 1. the hazards work fine, 2. usually when its the batter the dash lights come on and then it trys to start just doesnt have enough juice.. well im not getting anything when I turn the key.

Any suggestion? Please I am here refreshing my window so I will answer and also post the solution when found. ( google searched couldnt find anything )

(( another symptom lately I noticed thats odd is that I have to wait usually a couple minutes after I stop and put the car in PARK before the car will let me take out the key from the ignition. If i try to do it to fast the P doesnt light up in the dash and it gets stuck in the ignition, eventually when the car wants to it eventually put the car in park and highlights the red P in dash and the key comes out ))

Maybe its something to do with my ignition? How can I check to see why no power is coming when I turn my car key!

Thanks

Need help from a honda ninja to give me some tips.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem, granted i didn't put the cables on backwards I charged up my battery for 24 hours, no start, no click. I got the battery tested and it was just fine, checked all fuses and they were good too. Hit the starter with a screw driver and voila, car started. So i replaced the starter and its been fine since.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Trial User

I am having the same problem no power to fuse in the car besids 1 no dash light battery light stays on. Horn works and hazards work and head lights. All fuses under hood are good and cleaned battery and checked all grounds in stumped I tryed to push start it and nothing. Help please