Notices

90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (Mr_CRX)

Just let them know-that you had too in order to protect your safety at the time.Most aftermarket harnesses really are not street legal.(please don't start on street racing)
Old 09-20-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (1.888)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend just recently sold his 89 crx to his friend, and his friend was running fromt the cops at the local street races and ended up hitting a telephone pole and destroying the crx. anyways my friend went and checked out the crx and the door was peeled inward from the impact @ around 90mphish and i guess the stock steering wheels are supposed to snap on impact well he had an aftermarket steeringwheel and it bent around the steering column. ill have to ask him for pics, but that seat belt thing is scary.
last i heard the guy was in critical condition, possibly loosing a legs, broke both his arms i believe and i beleive some brain damage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what we call natural selection.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (johnclaunch)

First off I hate my stoopid f'n passive stupid crap sh&tty passive Im soo stupid seat belt that im not strong enough to lift crappy dumb seat belt. I leave the lap belt always undone because I have to deal with keeping my head out of the way of the attacking seatbelt latch, and im too lazy. No really I hate them and I got the car for free OK.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (mntuner2)

wtf, I'm confused. Do any crx's come with the motorized upper belts? Or is it just civic's?

Now what people are saying, is that the crx system was designed to not be unbuckled??? By god, I've never heard of this before. I'm going to try it on lunch break
Old 09-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf, I'm confused. Do any crx's come with the motorized upper belts? Or is it just civic's?

Now what people are saying, is that the crx system was designed to not be unbuckled??? By god, I've never heard of this before. I'm going to try it on lunch break </TD></TR></TABLE>

look on the buckle...it says emergency release. at least on 90-91 the years ive owned. my insurance was cheaper with the 90-91 si than an 87 dx because the seatbelts are considered "automatic" since your not supposed to unbuckle them. if i had an owners manual...im sure it says how to use them in there.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (fastcrxsi90)

Maybe a little off topic, but does anyone know if a 89 Si with door mounted seatbelts could be converted over to the pilar mounted ones? I've got a power window kit from Europe including door panels and they are for a car with pillar mounted belts. I want to know if I can convert my stuff from an 88 si (or from what I've heard is 88-90 HF and DX had pillar mounted seat belts. Thanks in advance to anybody who can shed some light on the scene.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (fastcrxsi90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastcrxsi90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

look on the buckle...it says emergency release. at least on 90-91 the years ive owned. my insurance was cheaper with the 90-91 si than an 87 dx because the seatbelts are considered "automatic" since your not supposed to unbuckle them. if i had an owners manual...im sure it says how to use them in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea my 89 says that too (well, use to) Well I'll be damned, I never knew that. I still have the owners manual, I'll check it out sometime.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (Mr_CRX)

I just did that. 91 CRX HF. Had since 91 (new). I had looked at the cost of replacing the thing. Assumed I would buy it and install it myself. Then found out you can get it replaced for free. Did so. Guy 'demoed' the 'correct' way to use the thing (never detach buckle). Sheese . give me a break. Getting in and getting out with that thing in the way .. wat did they expect people to do? not unlatch..

Saved around 400 bucks I think counting the part and the labor.

Now if they would just replace my seat...
Old 09-20-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (tolnep)

LOL! Yea I just tried it...I think I'll keep unbuckling/buckling it. What a pain to do it the "correct" way.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:43 PM
foz

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (rjay8604)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjay8604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THE PASSIVE SYSTEM GETS A BIG WTF!!!! To this day I have no idea how this system is supposed to work and be "better." I like all the changes for 90-91's, but i hate the heavy *** doors and weirdo seatbelts, i unlatch everytime. and i have to keep the passenger seatbelt buckled to prevent the annoying light on the ceiling.
I think honda was a little to proud of their new "passive" restraint system when it came out. They made a beeper, a big shift-light-like warning light on the ceiling, plus the gauge cluster seatbelt light. WTF </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was having a problem with my driver's belt, it would constantly act like it was unbuckled and beep/flash ceiling light, and without realizing it, I had the seat unplugged ( there is a plug under each seat) and found out that if the plugs were undone then the light on the roof stayed off I quickly unplugged the passenger side and went on with my happier life
Old 09-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (foz)

OK, so here is a question:

I just reinstalled factory seatbelts into my 1990 Civic street car. It seems as if they are not "locking" when I jerk them quickly.

To anyone with a 90-91 civic/crx....do they "lock" when you give them a strong jerk?

These are door mounted and I always unbuckle BTW.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (johnclaunch)

it was an odd concept. the sensor which indicates an unlatched belt malfunctioned in both of the CRX's that i have had. in the first car it would beep and beep and beep until it would randomly stop. then it would randomly continue to beep later. in my CRX that i have now i just disabled all of the sensors because they were being retarded again.

i guess my CRX's got pissed at me when i didn't try out their cool "passive seatbelt" feature.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (jisu009)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jisu009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, so here is a question:

I just reinstalled factory seatbelts into my 1990 Civic street car. It seems as if they are not "locking" when I jerk them quickly.

To anyone with a 90-91 civic/crx....do they "lock" when you give them a strong jerk?

These are door mounted and I always unbuckle BTW. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have read that they dont lock when you jerk on them; apparently there is a mechanism or sensor-type thing in the door itself that detects any sudden or rapid deceleration. i guess this locks the belt.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (CRX_1.8T)

Ok guys, when you ride alone in your passive seatbelt equipped car, do you keep the pass. seatbelt latched, i do so the shift-light on the ceiling doesn't shine constantly, but when friends ride with me, they're like how the hell do i get in.
I'll admit one thing i like about the passive restraint, it makes it really easy to grab the seatbelt and latch it since its not behind you, and the two spooling mechanisms make it easier to buckle the belt and have it already tensioned, versus reaching way back and breaking your arm to grab the pillar belt and then jostle it around to get the slack you need.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (rjay8604)

Hell no I dont keep the passenger one buckled. The upper light is angled towards them, so i never see it.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll (sporkcrx)

I've got an '89 Si with '88 doors, so no possibility for stock seatbelts at all. Harnesses on the rollbar. The only time I drove it with the silly door-mounted seat belts was on the test drive.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 90-91 Civic / 89-91 CRX "Passive" Seatbelt Poll

i've been driving 90 crx's for 17 yrs and just recently found out you are supposed to keep the seatbelts buckled and slide in and out of them, if your going to use them how they were originally designed to be used, so i started trying out keeping them buckled, and eventually i got in the habit of always using them like that, and now i'm used to it, and the main reason i like keeping them buckled is cause i was so annoyed with how the seatbelts would dangle and not retract up all the way, whenever i used to unbuckle them ! ! !, and keeping them buckled was a solution to that not happening again.

but i agree like most people, that its a really stupid seatbelt design system, and everyone who gets in and out of my car says so also, along with saying the car is too low and hard to get out of the car, and that the car has a rough uncomfortable ride,....
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by crxaddikt
i've been driving 90 crx's for 17 yrs and just recently found out you are supposed to keep the seatbelts buckled and slide in and out of them, if your going to use them how they were originally designed to be used, so i started trying out keeping them buckled, and eventually i got in the habit of always using them like that, and now i'm used to it, and the main reason i like keeping them buckled is cause i was so annoyed with how the seatbelts would dangle and not retract up all the way, whenever i used to unbuckle them ! ! !, and keeping them buckled was a solution to that not happening again.

but i agree like most people, that its a really stupid seatbelt design system, and everyone who gets in and out of my car says so also, along with saying the car is too low and hard to get out of the car, and that the car has a rough uncomfortable ride,....

this was a stop-gap design to satisfy legislation around that time that some percentage of vehicles, and eventually 100%, begin to install "passive restraint or collision protection" systems. hindsight shows that the industry simply went to 100% airbags on both driver and passenger sides, but its difficult to just throw in airbags into cars that were already designed or fully mature in the design cycle. so its because of this rule that you saw "automatic" seat belt systems like in the sedan and DA integras implemented before airbags were installed on every car. door mounted seat belts were a cheaper design than automatic seat belts. its also why 90-91 civic/crx had that stupid red plastic label on the ebrake saying something like "release in case of emergency" or something.

the unfortunate thing is that the door hinge simply wasnt designed to handle that much added weight, along with heavier side impact door beams, and is why almost every 90-91 civic/crx by now has a broken hinge and the annoying "CLAAAAANAANANGGGG" sound when opening the door.

ah i just realized i responded to a thread SO ******* OLD that i just repeated the same post more or less 10 years later! **** i hate zombie threads.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know its an old post, i just ran across it by chance when going through search results for something completely different, and just checked it out to see what people's opinions were on that seatbelt design.

the hinge on my drivers door does'nt make any sound or anything weird, but my passenger side door does, but i don't think its the hinge on that one, i think the fender is bent slightly where the line meets the front edge of the door and rubs against it each time you open it.

i'm glad they put the heavier dual-impact door beams in the 90/91's, cause if they were'nt there, then i'm sure this accident i had back in 97, would of been worse, cause i was t-boned from the side and pushed into a median and sign post on the other side, i'm glad i was'nt hurt. i only had the car a year, a teal green 91 crx si w/ 78k miles.

i sold it to this guy who works at bodyshop of mazda dealer, and he worked on his off hours fixing it, and he fixed it back to new, and i saw it in a parking lot for sale $3850, but by that time i already had my white 90 crx si.