Notices

D16A6/Y8 mini me was running, now cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16A6/Y8 mini me was running, now cranks but wont start

Very new to hondas so sorry in advance im learning as fast as I can. I know there are many threads on this type of thing but I cant seem to find solid info for my problem. I have a 1988 crx si with a stock D16A6 block and a Y8head. I did none of the head work but it appears clean, doesnt leak, and the car ran and drove when I bought it. Drove it here and there around town when one day I was driving down the road when all the sudden the car died and wouldnt start back up. It does crank but wont start up. At first I was getting no spark, so i figured maybe the dizzy went out, so i got a new a6 dizzy (im on obd0 still) put it in, only had spark on cylinders 1 and 2 I think, then i replaced the wires with new ngk wires for a 96 civic ex (D16Y8) and now have spark going to all 4 wires but the car refuses to start. I'm gunna re test my wires for spark then maybe try new plugs? Could my dizzy be timed wrong if that's a thing? Like can the spark just be happening at the wrong time? Should I try to set my cam to tdc? It appears to be a pretty clean mini me swap but I dont know enough about this type of build to be sure. It ran and drove, now it just cranks and cranks please help me honda fam.

Last edited by JAYSCRX420; 06-30-2018 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 06-30-2018, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16A6/Y8 mini me was running, now cranks but wont start

Also I plan on doing a few things to clear up a lot of what's missing on here. I'll check to hear if the fule pump kicks on, I'll be looking at my plugs to see if they are foul or maybe even washed out with gas from trying to crank. If all checks out or I replace it and it still wont fire up I'll pull the dizzy and try putting it back in. I really want to get this car going. I dont think my ecu is out or the main rely but I'm not going to rule out anything at this point.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:20 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

1 - Are there any CEL's, and if so, have you addressed them?
2 - Timing - verify your timing belt hasn't broken, then verify that the cam and crank are both at TDC when they need to be. Are your spark plug wires in the correct firing order?
3 - Air - is anything restricting the intake tube? Did something get sucked down into the manifold?
4 - Fuel - is the fuel pump priming and running? If not check the main relay. Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail?
5 - Spark - it sounds like you've checked this. Verify all grounds are good. Verify the rotor button is still on the shaft. Verify the inside of the cap isn't destroyed.
6 - Do you have good compression on all 4 cylinders?
Old 06-30-2018, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try to answer everything you put. No there are no cels (as far as I know) the light comes on for about 2 maybe 3 seconds with the key in the on position then goes off (I assume this to be normal). Timing cloud be a factor,but the belt is intact and nothing looks out of place. I have conformed to have spark in all 4 wires, we pulled the plugs and they are giving spark (but personally they looked pretty worn out). I hear the fule pump turn on when I put the key in. The battery was put on a charger today and we notice it not really charging? So could be the battery plus the plugs? Maybe even the timing?
Old 06-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It appears to be getting air.
the distubtor appears to be fine (because it was replaced sorry if that's confuseing) and is actully what I thought was what caused the car to stop running. At first (before the new dizzy) I wasnt getting any spark it seemed or at least only out of cylinders 1 and 2 now I have made sure I have spark in all 4 cylinders (thanks to my new dizzy and ngk wires for y8 head like my set up) and to the plugs (I'm not sure if its enough though).
compression appears to be there, and that's coming from my dad who's been a mechanic for a long time.
hes kinda confused at this point but is leaning to not enough spark or the timing being off. Also starting to think my ecu took a crap? But it cranks still and was running and driving when it appeared to die to lack of spark. I'm kinda leaning to maybe a combo of plugs(old still) wires (new now) dizzy (new) battery (old still) timing could have been thrown off but it appears correct and it doesnt sound like it has any bent valves or nothing crazy. I'm kinda confused but I dont want to give up I know it could be a awesome little Honda.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:56 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Check fuel pressure at the rail and that injectors are firing. Then ensure mechanical timing is still correct. Belt could have jumped.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will try it out as I can. Thank you. Going to get new plugs as we speak
Old 07-02-2018, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sooooo I'm feeling really defeated after today...

I'll try to simplify what's working and what's not so we can get this thing going again.

Me and my dad checked timing today and put the cam gear at tdc, we confirmed that the dizzy lines up with the 1st cylinder spark, and we also put a extendable magnetic grabber down the spark plug hole of C1(cylinder 1) and that the piston was on the top of head(I cant think of how to say this correct but the piston was on top with the cam gear at tdc and the dizzy also lining up to be at cylinder 1spark).

we charged my battery and cranked it. No start

we eventually took out the plug and made sure it was sparking sure as hell it sparked. My dad put his finger in the hole I cranked it, it has pressure (in c1 at least, will be checking all 4 tomorrow). Threw starter fluid into it. No start.

no cel still. We put in a Optima battery that started my dads 65 galaxy just yesterday. Cranks and cranks. But no miss fire. No back fire. No start. We have spark. Timing should be right. I hear my fule pump kick ok when my keys in the on position.

Fuses look good both under the hood and under the dash.

I'm thinking maybe the ecu??
could be lack of pressure in other cylinders?
I'll take a ton of pictures tomorrow of the engine and stuff and see if somebody can notice what I'm not getting, my dad as well hes not a newbie by any means over 30 years experience in shops fixing cars it was literally his job to fix cars like mine and hes kinda confused.

but we refuse to give up. I hope somebody can give more insite.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also forgot we will be checking the fule filter ? Or pump ? Or both ? (Im honestly not sure it's late iv been staring at forms pages and car parts for hours) as well as the injectors tomorrow as well.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:52 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JAYSCRX420
Also forgot we will be checking the fule filter ? Or pump ? Or both ? (Im honestly not sure it's late iv been staring at forms pages and car parts for hours) as well as the injectors tomorrow as well.
Did you check fuel pressure at the rail? And confirm the injectors are firing?

If they are not, then it definitely could be an ecu issue.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully will be looking at that today, the weather is holding us back.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 99% sure you couldnt mess this up but, what wire should go to what hole? I have a a6 dizzy and the wires are in 1 to 1 2 to 2 3 to 3 4 to 4. And iv been putting the corresponding wire into the cylinder from right to left (cylinder 1-2-3-4) so wire strike 1 on the dizzy into cylinder 1 and so forth. Am I supposed to do some crazy thing like put wire 4 into cylinder 3?? And then 3 into 4 and 1 into 1 and 2 into 2? I wouldn't think so but I'm kinda at a loss at to why it wont turn over. Still cranks all day. Tried stater fulid again and re set the timing with the valve cover off. Still no go. Last resort is a new ecu or get rid of it my dad puts it as beating a dead horse. I included some photos of the dizzy and wires to hopefully make my question clear.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Firing order should be 1-3-4-2. I think this applies to all D series.

Srsly tho, 30 seconds of searching can find this.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:36 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

And you still have not confirmed fuel pressure at rail or if the injectors are firing.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a z6 head not a y8 and I tried looking it would pull it up. And the ones i found on Google correspond with what you put up though. But I needed somebody who wasnt me who knows about hondas and this type of swap to make sure it was correct.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wouldnt it at least turn over from the starter fluid though?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okey so this is weird. There is a hissing noise coming from the negative ground/terminal area, but theres no key in it at all. So that means theres power drawing from the ground? Could this cause it to have weak spark and not start the car? I put in a new fule relay today and the car sounds like it wants to start. I can feel the pressure coming out the exhaust, we did a compression check it come back Good. Got spark in all 4 cylinders. Tried putting gas in it just in case. I know its been said a lot to check the fule pressure and I'm going to as so as I can but for arguments sake let's assume its working (for now) would the ground problem cause it to not work?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the ground terminal come off by just moving the ground wire back and forth so that's a good starting point now I'd think.....gunna put new terminals and if I have to compleat re ground the wires with new ones and see if it starts, it sounds so freaking close now.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, grounds are important. They can cause the car not to start or run.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

terminals are off and I got a new start to set wire so Ill have a fresh ground there. Is there supposed to be a ground going to my fan (the brown wire)?
Old 07-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No start with new terminals and ground. Will check for fule at the rails tomorrow, and go from there. I guess if I just keep replacing everything im bound to get something eventually. I dont even need it to run good at this point just want it to show some life, like when I bought it.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm legit losing so much sleep trying to figure out what I'm missing. I'm going to do a little bit of back tracking in the morning to see if I made a big mistake in what my "problem" was. I still have the old dizzy I took off the car that "didnt work" I'm gunna re hook it up with a charged battery and see if I get spark if I do, then I need to track down what ever the hell it is that poped or broke when my car died, because that's what's keeping it from running. Maybe the ecu said goodbye, maybe the wires to the fuse box took a ****. Timing lines up we have spark, tomorrow I'll drop a little bit of fule directly into eatch cylinder. If theres gas in the cylinder and there is spark and it doesnt go bang then its compression or timing.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:48 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I'm legit losing so much sleep trying to figure out what I'm missing. I'm going to do a little bit of back tracking in the morning to see if I made a big mistake in what my "problem" was. I still have the old dizzy I took off the car that "didnt work" I'm gunna re hook it up with a charged battery and see if I get spark if I do, then I need to track down what ever the hell it is that poped or broke when my car died, because that's what's keeping it from running. Maybe the ecu said goodbye, maybe the wires to the fuse box took a ****. Timing lines up we have spark, tomorrow I'll drop a little bit of fule directly into eatch cylinder. If theres gas in the cylinder and there is spark and it doesnt go bang then its compression or timing.
If you were getting fuel from the injectors while cranking over and not firing, the spark plugs would be wet. If this is the case, you may already be flooding the cylinders, so I wouldn't go pouring more gas into them.

Verify fuel pressure, and check if the plugs are wet after cranking.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right if the inj's are in fact going off and have been the plugs should be soaked, so if I check for fule pressure and I have it at the filter/pump and the rails but my spark plugs are clean then the inj's are most likely clogged,?
Old 07-04-2018, 01:16 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

You're right if the inj's are in fact going off and have been the plugs should be soaked, so if I check for fule pressure and I have it at the filter/pump and the rails but my spark plugs are clean then the inj's are most likely clogged,?
Injectors wouldn’t all suddenly clog 100%. If you have pressure at the rail but plugs are dry, I would suspect ecu.

Quick Reply: D16A6/Y8 mini me was running, now cranks but wont start