Notices

89 CRX SI, Jacking when turning tight with aweful noises and popping out of gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 CRX SI, Jacking when turning tight with aweful noises and popping out of gears

Looking for some advice, the problem first happened when I bought the car but had no idea what just happened. I needed to make a uturn on a street and halfway through the turn it felt like I drove over a curb and broke an axel. Loud bangs front end jumped up, engine revved free. I got out looked and everything looked fine/normal. Now some preface to that I had just bought this car with a buddy in Phoenix (we're from the rust belt) for 500 bucks. All the suspension/rubber was trashed, bushings worn, steering loose, motor mounts etc. Anyway drove the car back 2000 miles without that happening again and had thought maybe the oversized wheel/tires rubbed the tub or something and then it tried to pick up the car or I don't know. Anyway after it was home I sold those tires and stuck some 205 15" tires on it and decided to do an auto x (yes still with everything worn/non working suspension) it seemed like if I got wheelhop on corner exit it would pop out of gear. I thought maybe it was just the trans shaking the shift linkage and it'd pop out? My dad co drove it later in the day and wasn't as smooth and got the car doing this jacking constantly when turning aweful noises popping out of gear free reving again. Corner workers said the front left was moving forward and backward in the wheel well like inches. I took it home after that and even turning slightly on corners it'd be doing it again. Anyway I decided to fix the front suspension and motor mounts I could easily get to. I found the bumpstops had fallen out and when the car went through max travel the balljoints were the limiting factor and thus were widened/bent. I replaced the LCA, Radius rod bushings (which were installed in reverse), upper control arm, ball joints, front left and right motor mounts, endlinks, Rear trailing arm bushings, all with oem ish things and put poly shifter bushings in. I also swapped the shocks to bilsteins all around but left the neuspeed (lowering?) springs. I got an alignment set it for 0 toe on the front 1/8th toe out on the back, it aligned to have ~2 neg camber all around and no thrust angle. I replaced the trans fluid which was low. It leaks profusely out the passenger side output seal ~1/2cup/hr. I also fixed the stupid attempt that the P/O made to tighten up the loose shifter which consisted of shoving washers in places they didn't belong. I took the car on a 200 mile trip and was beating the crap out of it with some buddys, corners straights etc and didn't have any problems. Yesterday I took the car and did an Auto X with it and didn't have any problems until I let my friend drive it and within the second turn it was doing the jacking thing although it may not or may have popped out of gear again. Next corner same thing. WHAT IS HAPPENING!

I have a few theories but want to hear your opinions.

My theory was there was enough play in the shifter bushings and the motor mounts were so shot the engine was allowed to shake around and would effectively shake the linkage enough to cause it to pop out of gear (it was doing it in first second or third). After replacing most the motor mounts and front suspension bushings and everything it seemed ok, apparently this isn't the case. I've also heard running low on trans fluid can cause the trans to jump out of gear.

My theory is now: Rear trans mount is not great (the others were torn and doing nothing but got replaced I can't see this one well) the trans and motor move around enough the cv get's in some weird position and binds?) Binding causes something to give and the car ends up jumping up in the front corner? Engine trans and I'm assuming cv's are all stock or similar (moog etc) so I'm not sure why this would be.

I'm worried partially if I replace the engine/trans mounts with solid/inserts something is going to give if it is binding and binds again and the cv won't be what gives. (in college our mini Baja team installed cv's that were too long and as the car went through suspension travel on a corner it actually shifted/bent the transmission/steel mounting tabs) Could a poor trans mount cause the problems I'm having. Could it be the CV Joints?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: 89 CRX SI, Jacking when turning tight with aweful noises and popping out of gears

well to figure out this problem your having
what engine do you have in your crx?

lets see your setup
pics would be great
Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89 CRX SI, Jacking when turning tight with aweful noises and popping out of gears

Stock​ motor for sure, stock trans afaik planning to run chump so haven't made any changes that would cost points that wasn't already there (cai, exhaust) I can snap some photos
Old 04-25-2017, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't get to it yet to take new photos. Here's some when I was rebuilding the front
http://m.imgur.com/a/wJ0nt