Notices

88 CRX, Tried to lower idle now getting occasional CEL/TPS code (7)

Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 CRX, Tried to lower idle now getting occasional CEL/TPS code (7)

Hi Guys,

I’ve been a long time lurker trying to read up while waiting on my father in law to finally give me his 88 crx dx. I’ve finally gotten it and I’ve run into my first issue.

First thing I noticed after he gave me this car was that it had an unusually high idle. (Like around 3k rpm on initial startup). Now of course I’m no Honda guru (that why I’m here) but I thought I could lower that idle a bit if I looked around the throttle assembly for an adjustment screw. I found a screw that had a rubber cap (probably a sign to not mess with it  ). I took this cap off and backed off the idle a bit and everything seemed to be fine for a while.

Now however on a few occasions I’ve gotten a CEL, sputtering, power loss, and from peeling back the carpet and counting my blinks I think I’ve gotten a TPS error (code 7).

Usually I can pull over, turn the car off and back on and it runs fine for a while. The CEL is off when I do this until it those symptoms present themselves again.

So now I am wondering if maybe that was the wrong fix for the idle and maybe it was indicative of a vac leak or something somewhere and I shouldn’t have touched the screw with the rubber cap. Or perhaps this things idle was set unusually high by someone to have the TPS never hit a possible dead or flakey spot.

Any help would be appreciated. I searched on what I thought would be applicable but didn’t seem to find this exact situation.

So to summarize.

*88 Crx DX Automatic
*D15 with DPFI
*Tried to lower unusually high idle via rubber capped adjustment screw (which did lower idle)
*Now occasionally getting a loss of power and a CEL/TPS code 7 which will go away if I turn the car off and then back on.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 88 CRX, Tried to lower idle now getting occasional CEL/TPS code (slofunk)

One thing to remember about HOnda is that the idle will be much higher when the engine is cold. I used to think I had an usually high idle until I realized it went down once the engine was warm.

I'm unsure if this information helps you or not, but it might shed a little light on the situation.

If you need a new TPS sensor let me know and I can get one to you cheap.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Re: 88 CRX, Tried to lower idle now getting occasional CEL/TPS code (slofunk)

Hi Again,

After actually searching the "archived" postings instead of recent ones I found some steps like in the Helms for checking the TPS.

These are the following measurements I found with my VERY cheap multi-meter.

(All of these measurements were made with key on engine off)

Voltage coming up the lead for the TPS was about 4.88 (I guess this is close enough to 5?)

I then put the connector back on the TPS and probed the middle wire.

At closed throttle I am getting about 1.48 Volts
At wide open throttle I am getting about 4.00 Volts

The TPS appears to have its original rivets so I'm assuming that it has never been messed with or adjusted.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM

Hi,
I got the similar problem too. Did you find out what to do about it?