Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   88 CRX dx won't start warm NOT MAIN RELAY what else can it be NEED Help ASAP (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/88-crx-dx-wont-start-warm-not-main-relay-what-else-can-need-help-asap-2913378/)

goobous 03-22-2011 03:14 AM

HELP! CRX won't start warm NOT MAIN RELAY what else can it be NEED Help ASAP 88DX

Hi Gang I am proud to announce I just picked up my wife’s first car (clone) an 88 CRX dx Automatic with 75k original miles on it
It's her birthday tomorrow and I am in danger of having all my brownie points disappearing (as well as my life hahaha) if I can't get it going ! hahahaha SAVE THE BROWNIE POINTS HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Bullet points
Have an 88 crx dx Automatic (new to me )
It Sat for several years when I bought it, (started fine and I turned it off it several times while looking at it , and once on the way home )
I changed fluids and drove 30 miles home
Turned it off
It would not restart (not even crank over !I tried for 30 min)
Came back 3 hours later – started right up!
Did my homework everyone on here said MAIN RELAY!
I replaced with one from another 88 seemed to help, it ran for most of a day then same thing! Grrrr
I re-soldered all the connections in both Main relays , it does the same thing with either one in the car.
It will start right up, It idles forever in my driveway,
when I test drive it, it does it again (won't crank)
I immediately replace the Main relay with the spare but it does not crank over
?'s
I think I have eliminated the Main as the problem.
I have heard someone say starter relay, ignition control module and ecu ground
what other modules or relays can I try (because they seem to bit the bill)
Please let me know (before I go mad hahaha)*Please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance?
PS

24TEN 03-22-2011 09:32 AM

Re: 88 CRX dx won't start warm NOT MAIN RELAY what else can it be NEED Help ASAP

When you the turn the key and the engine does NOT crank, are the gauge cluster lights still lit? Or do they lose power like the car completely died altogether?

AlaskaREX 03-22-2011 09:54 AM

Re: 88 CRX dx won't start warm NOT MAIN RELAY what else can it be NEED Help ASAP

If you send me a private message with a good email address I have a .pdf file that shows the locations of the ground connections to inspect. May help.

goobous 03-22-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 24TEN (Post 44916026)
When you the turn the key and the engine does NOT crank, are the gauge cluster lights still lit? Or do they lose power like the car completely died altogether?

yes the cluster gauge lights are still on.

goobous 03-22-2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskaREX (Post 44916205)
If you send me a private message with a good email address I have a .pdf file that shows the locations of the ground connections to inspect. May help.

I send the msg , thanks I am new to that so let me know if you did not get it
God Bless
Brian

chaos88 03-22-2011 11:01 AM

After dealing with this same issue, checking all the grounds, battery, main relay etc. It ended up being the starter for me. It was very sporadic like yours and surprising that it was the starter itself.

24TEN 03-22-2011 11:25 AM

I was going to say the same thing^

goobous 03-22-2011 11:47 AM

Can I bench test the starter, since it starts when cold will I be able to see if it is not 100%. or do I just replace it and hope for the best?

chaos88 03-22-2011 12:03 PM

Here is a quick link for a diy bench test http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm

KINGVEM^^ED6 03-22-2011 12:48 PM

take the starter to autozone or what ever they will do it free

also it could be your distributor that was the problem with my old motor same symptoms

thatHEMIguy 03-22-2011 12:59 PM

when you go to crank over, do you hear any noise, like a click? have someone tap on the starter and starter solenoid while you are trying to start.

goobous 03-22-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by KINGVEM^^ED6 (Post 44917466)
also it could be your distributor that was the problem with my old motor same symptoms

was it your distributer , or just the ignition control module, or something else in the distributer

goobous 03-22-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by thatHEMIguy (Post 44917553)
when you go to crank over, do you hear any noise, like a click? have someone tap on the starter and starter solenoid while you are trying to start.

no there is absolutely no sound from the engine compartment at all ! the only click is from the main relay when I turn the key!

Orangegsx 03-22-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by thatHEMIguy (Post 44917553)

Do this, but hold the key down and tap on the starter itself, sometimes they stick when they wear out. It would crank over if it was your dizzy or main relay. It has to be something in your starter or starter circuits.

goobous 03-22-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Orangegsx (Post 44919110)
Do this, but hold the key down and tap on the starter itself, sometimes they stick when they wear out. It would crank over if it was your dizzy or main relay. It has to be something in your starter or starter circuits.

OK I'll try it

KINGVEM^^ED6 03-22-2011 07:10 PM

i replaced the whole thing bro goodluck