Notices

87si Won't Start - Troubleshooting Checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87si Won't Start - Troubleshooting Checklist?

I've got an 87 CRX SI with the 1500CC programmed fuel injection engine. The motor turns over and "rumbles", but it won't fire off. I have determined that there's fuel getting in the cylinders. So far I've:

Filled the tank with premium gas & gas dryer
Checked oil
Changed plugs
Visually checked plug wires & connectors
Visually checked cap & rotor
Checked coil continuity per Honda guidelines
Checked all fuses
Checked for any ECU lights on
Tested continuity between ground point and random stuff under the hood - the only thing I find is that the throttle body unit casing has about half continuity on the meter (like 13, or 13K or whatever) where as everything else is infinite.

Any ideas? One thing I'd like to do is check the spark plugs, but the Honda method is impossible due to the fact that I'd have to cut the boot off of the plug wire to see if it arcs spark across the .24" gap. I might be screwed here, but either way, thanks for reading..

Edit, since I've run out of things to disassemble

I should also mention that I can hear the fuel pump prime, and the PGMFI dsh light comes on for two or so seconds and then shuts off with a click. As I recall, this is normal with this car.

Modified by jmatthews at 12:32 PM 1/4/2005
Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Gah this thing sucks nuts.

New question - anyone want a black 1987 SI with minor powder burns and a couple of bullet holes?

Old 01-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 87si Won't Start - Troubleshooting Checklist? (jmatthews)

Did the car run before? Have you done any work on the car?
We need more info before we can help.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 87si Won't Start - Troubleshooting Checklist? (Sikocivic)

While you may have spark, it may not be enough OR it might be in the wrong place. I think it is the distributer, but that's because I've had 3 go bad on me - with no ECU codes! Check also your ground wires to the head and to the tranny.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:54 PM

Well, did a little more research, and this is damn strange. Sikocivic, yes it ran before, for like 80,000 miles since I had it (195K on it now) before it died on me on the way to work one day. It wouldn't do anything at all, so I went and bought a new rig - well, I'm back to working on it because I'd like it on the road.

It turned out there was a wiring harness that had a couple of pretty badly corroded connections, but the shop manual showed the pin out and it matched my color codes, so I just spliced the two wires together outside the harness (the sub-engine harness, btw). Now I've gotten it to turn over, all the interior & dash stuff works, but it just doesn't want to fire off.

Interestingly, I just tested each plug wire consecutively - the one for the cylinder all the way to the right fires one time - but never again. And no other plug will even fire one time. By clicking the key on and off quickly enough to just "goose" the starter, I can cause a backfire.

The plot thickens... at least I finally got the seats out and am getting it cleaned up.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:09 PM

I guess the 84-87 generation isn't as well known, but does anyone have any ideas? I'm still broken down... I guess it's possible that it's an igniter, the thing didn't seem to test to Honda specs for continuity - although it's impossible to tell what the wire colors are without breaking the cap & rotor. Also, the Honda diagram shows two blue wires and tells me that "there should be continuity between the blue wire and the black/yellow". Confusing at best.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jmatthews)

i cant help you myself but try redpepperracing.com
Old 01-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jmatthews)

At this point I would think it might be the igniter or bad ground wires. Hondas have to have GOOD connections on the ground wires. Check all the ground wires to be sure they are clean and tight. Don't forget the one on the thermostst housing. I had that one come loose on me during a road trip and we had to "push start" the car until we found the loose ground wire.

Good luck