Notices

40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles

My question is...
Is there any differences between the 89-91 crx si 40/40 prop valve and 90+ integra 40/40 prop valve?

Also i have a question about Civic Ex knuckles..
Could u use any 90+ integra calipers and rotors on the Ex knuckles?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (Honda_SiR-G)

first of all, its not 40/40. its just 4040.

also, the 90-91 crx si doesnt have a 4040, it has a 2040 prop valve.

honestly, i dont know what the numbers mean. i have a general idea, but nothing definitive. my only advice is to not mess with honda engineers. if youre swapping parts, make sure its the same as some other oem setup completely.

you guys who are just swapping a MC here, and a rear caliper there, and forgetting the rest are asking for trouble in my opinion.

yeah the EX calipers are the same as the integra calipers.

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/brakepartslist.xls
Old 02-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all, its not 40/40. its just 4040.

also, the 90-91 crx si doesnt have a 4040, it has a 2040 prop valve.

honestly, i dont know what the numbers mean. i have a general idea, but nothing definitive. my only advice is to not mess with honda engineers. if youre swapping parts, make sure its the same as some other oem setup completely.

you guys who are just swapping a MC here, and a rear caliper there, and forgetting the rest are asking for trouble in my opinion.

yeah the EX calipers are the same as the integra calipers.

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/brakepartslist.xls</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i don't wanna change any dimention or geometry of the fine engineering of honda, but i wanna upgrade my brakes without spendiing much cash and keeping my 15"s. So far my search takes me to Ex knuckles are best to use because it doesn't mess with the geometry of the suspension of the crx and u can use integra calipers and rotors which still allows the use of 15" wheels and mainly a better feel or ur brakes.

Also since u brought up the part about the Master Cyclinder would i have to change that also? If so which MC is best fitted with the crx if uprading the brakes?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (Honda_SiR-G)

stock brakes are NOT bad.

poorly maintained brakes are bad.

well maintained brakes are GREAT! youll stop on a dime with good pads, fresh fluid and clean rotors.

you DONT need big brakes. yes, i say this while i sell prop valves and ex knuckles.

if you insist on ex front brakes, do you have drums or discs in the rear? if you have discs, then follow the DA setup with 4040 valve. if you have drums, use the 3040. you should upgrade the master cylinder too. 15/16" is as large as youll fit on a crx. using a EX booster is a good idea too.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock brakes are NOT bad.

poorly maintained brakes are bad.

well maintained brakes are GREAT! youll stop on a dime with good pads, fresh fluid and clean rotors.

you DONT need big brakes. yes, i say this while i sell prop valves and ex knuckles.

if you insist on ex front brakes, do you have drums or discs in the rear? if you have discs, then follow the DA setup with 4040 valve. if you have drums, use the 3040. you should upgrade the master cylinder too. 15/16" is as large as youll fit on a crx. using a EX booster is a good idea too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True stock brakes aren't bad, but we're in the era where everything gets upgraded. I mean i can go the expensive route and get a big brake upgrade from williwood, faststop, or whatnot, but im choosing the inexpensive route and by doing research here in there..i concluded Ex Fronts knuckles with integra rotors and calipers are pretty suffient enough for an upgrade without messing with the crx suspension geometry. And yes i have rear disk brake.

I also read somewhere that civic si brake booster are bigger then the crx si's and i happen to have one laying around. I wondering what mc would b a prefect mate to it?

Ur probably thinking y all these upgrade? Will im builting a sohc daily beater and i want something that'll accelerate fast and brake just as fast as it goes. Hence the traffic on the 405.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more info..
Old 02-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Going back to the start of this string; As Tyson said, the numbers on the proportioning valves from Honda are rather misleading.

From what I can tell, they are nothing but an ID number. All 4040's from any Honda product are the same.

And also as Tyson said, I doubt that the CRX prop valve is a 4040.

Wes
Old 02-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (Wes V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wes V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Going back to the start of this string; As Tyson said, the numbers on the proportioning valves from Honda are rather misleading.

From what I can tell, they are nothing but an ID number. All 4040's from any Honda product are the same.

And also as Tyson said, I doubt that the CRX prop valve is a 4040.

Wes </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i was misleaded by some1 saying crx si had 4040 prop valve, but after doing some more research all 4040 2040 3040 prop valve are exzactly the same whether which car they come from.

Now im just looking into Master Cyclinder and Brake Booster..see'n what combination will work best too. I heard preluded MS is direct bolt on into Da's BB and mayb civic Si's ..Also heard civic si BB are pretty good of a upgrade as well..but i haven't come to a conclusion or actual fact..still researching..

...more info bump needed ...actual facts, diagram, etc...u know the whole 10 yard.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:14 PM

<U>NO!!</U>

A 4040 valve is different than a 2040 (or what ever)!

Wes
Old 02-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While id like to agree with you guys, stock size brakes arent practical for all. Ive tried for a while with stock drums, brembo blanks, and nice pads (cobalt gt sports, $95 pads) and i still experience brake fade when driving through the mountains! Simply put, larger brakes can dissipate heat better, have more friction area, and have a better feel when properly set up (good fluid and MC)
Old 02-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no im saying if u got a 4040 from a da and a 4040 from a dc...its the same thing..like if u get a 2040 from a civic its the same getting one from a rex or another civic high model...

sorry for the not so clear info.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:35 PM

Honda_Sir-G; no problem. I kind of feared that others may not read it correctly and then we would have to live with another "old wives tale".

Here is what I've got on my 89 Hatchback;

EX spindles with DA brakes (the DA's are the same as what you will find on the EX spindles).

DA rear disk brakes (debatable as to their worth due to the front brakes doing most of the work, and they weigh more than drum brakes).

A 3040 proportioning valve (it came from a car with similar brakes and I don't remember what the car was, I couldn't find a 4040)

15/16 DA mastercylinder and booster (do them both as a pair!!!)

The brake pads are AEM as I recall.

The rotors are NOT drilled or slotted (I don't personally see the advantage other than bling).

The car stops great and there is good pedal feel. Plus it all fits in a 14" rim for that "stock" look.

Wes
Old 02-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah nice setup man, i was going to go that way as well, but was thinking more of a hybrid swap. But before anything im just researching more and getting more actaul swap info n facts on wats best. I'll post what my setup im going to use once i find all the facts i need and the detail.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the ex knuckles & mc and the integra brake rotors & caliber. Using the stock 90 crx si booster and the brake pedal are firm. Great brake if you can find a set of ex knuckles. Took me over a year to find a set from the junkyard. Wish I could use this setup on my sts car, but that would be cheating...
Old 02-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (Merlin8188)

add some ss lines while your at it to help reduce the response time...

i got the DA setup in the rear as well as the 4040 valve w/ goodridges ss lines...

but i need to get me a DA booster, MC, and front brakes to complete the setup...

good luck on your setup, like the others said, make sure you maintain it and you'll be good to go...
Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

correct, there is a difference between 4020 (crx) and 4040 (DA).
I currently have 89 Prelude Si MC with front SiR setup (calipers are GSR, rotor is for GSR, Hawk HP+ pads) and my rear is CRX disc setup.

Works great on the street. That's all you need for the street. I'm working on a write up on this so here is the link, still under construction. HTH

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/DrOhm/brakes.html

BTW, I have CRX prop valve for sale if you have a CRX.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 PM

I have a 91 civic with the following setup:

SS lines
DA rear discs
EX front knuckles with 11" blanks and ITR calipers (same calipers from the 95 accord)
------------------
Places where I cut corners:

I didn't replace the master cylinder so much as I took the 15/16s resevoir and slapped in on my current master cylinder.

I also didn't replace the prop valve (yet), I have one sitting here that will go on one day.

I did the rear for the simple ease of replacing the pads and I wanted the experience.

The car stops very well. In my opinion anything more than this is a status choice. (i.e. - If you're gonna do something do it the 'right' way). The 'right' way always seems to equal 'extreme' when it comes to cars.

With the larger front calipers the SS lines and larger resevoir becomes very important for getting that fluid in there.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (unknownhero16)

I did the ex knuckle upgrade with DA calipers and rotors. I highly recommend the 15/16 MC from a 90-91 Civic EX. It bolts right up and made a definite difference in pedal travel. I also plan to upgrade to the EX booster since it is a 9" booster and the 91 Si hb has an 8" booster. The brakes feel good now but I know the EX booster will improve braking even further. HTH
Old 02-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles (EFSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">correct, there is a difference between 4020 (crx) and 4040 (DA).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

its 2040 on the 90-91 si.

what seems consistent is the last two digits are always equal or larger than the first two.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else notice a change in wheel position with DA rear discs? ive go some tire rubbage now. its almost like the wheel sits about .25" more outward now on both sides.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do sit further outward with Integra rear setup.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (green91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else notice a change in wheel position with DA rear discs? ive go some tire rubbage now. its almost like the wheel sits about .25" more outward now on both sides.</TD></TR></TABLE>

simple fix...rear camber kit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_ED3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They do sit further outward with Integra rear setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yo jonathan sup with ur type r brake setup...mind sharing anything new u discover or past. Or any1 out there with some new interesting brake setups?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (Honda_SiR-G)

Green91;

Yes, using the DA rear trailing arms and brakes will move the wheel outward about .25" on each side than using CRX Si units. Depending on the rim offset, it can be a problem. (I'm running HX rims and they sit within the wheel well just great)

What is a plus about using the DA arms and brakes over the CRX units is that the bearings are bigger.

Wes Vann
Old 02-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wes V)

ONe thing I noticed is that the 4040 valves came on cars with the 10.3" front brakes with rear disks. The 2040 (and 3040?) valve came on cars with 9.5" front brakes with rear disks. Just keep that in mind when you are changing parts. it seems as the 4040 is meant for the larger front brakes with the rear disks.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike-y)

i dont know of a 3040.

3540 was used on civic ex sedan with 10.3 front brakes and DRUMS.

3030 was used on civic dx/lx sedan with 9.44 (not the same as 9.5) front brakes and drums.

you have to also consider the master cylinder used. the EX had 15/16 mc. si had 7/8.

Quick Reply: 40/40 proportional brake valve ??? & Civic Ex knuckles