Notices

3M Windo-Weld = Good

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Windo-Weld = Good

Last week I filled two old front/rear engine mounts with this stuff. It is a urethane windshield adhesive that cures up tough. After letting them cure for a week I installed them last night as I froze my ***** off.....unbelievable difference. No engine movement whatsoever, no engine rocking starting the engine, and now I can really have fun with the Centerforce DF, second gear lights the f%&k up as well as third.....if I really bury third I can get a scuff out of fourth. Anyways I reccomend this to anyone looking to put all their power to the wheels, regardless what year car/motor you are running. I left the side mounts stock since they were fine and they really dont control much movement anyway. It is $12 for a normal caulk-size tube. Allow a week to cure to be safe.

Don't throw those old mounts away, fill them up then smooth it over, just leaving the bolt hole open. IMO these are nicer than Energy inserts.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:06 AM

Default Re: 3M Windo-Weld = Good (Ef *****)

I did the same thing to all my mounts except I used polyurthane sealant from home depot.. Works great and its solid as a brick..
Old 01-23-2004, 06:11 AM

damn, great tip!!!!!

gonna do it right away, my mounts are in deep need of this!!!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 06:25 AM

Default Re: (civicsir.com)

I filled some old mounts that I had in my garage, because I couldn't yank the ones in the car, it is my only transportation. Other people around here let it dry for 2 days, just wait a week. After two days it appears cured, but still is a little mushy when you press on it. I put them to the side and 'forgot' about them until last night. They were close to rock hard. I was concerned that I might have a vibraty idle, but the stock left/right mounts ate that up. The drivetrain feels incredible, no play whatsoever. Only downfall is now your differential will be getting all the impact....but if you can drive/or can swap a trans if you blow the diff. all over the ground you'll be fine.lol

It's fun to chirps gears!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (Ef *****)

From personal experiance I have poly torque mounts and those caused the top mounts to wear quick so I have just filled the top passenger mount with the 3M and will let u know my results. I cant stand engine movement, been a problem in every FWD i have owned. By the way you can buy this product at your local advance auto for $14 and if you have ocean state they sell caulking guns for $1.29 and putty knife for a $1, my only advise would be to invest in rubber gloves as well cause this stuff is messy and very hard to get off anything especially your hands
Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (VWFANATIC)

that poly sealant from home depot is the same stuff but about $5 a container. i cant remember the name of it, but it is in a red tube and says on the bottle "black polyurethane" somewhere.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: (sanimalp)

this is a great mod it cost under $20 and my motor is in there solid now
Old 10-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: (garageEF)

good old urethane, strong as cement and bonds to literally anything.

A tip on using this stuff, if you want it to cure quicker lay it on hot, they make heating boxes for the urethane tubes, if you don't have one or want to buy one you can just use a heat gun, or even hairdryer to get the tube nice and hot before you use it.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (godruler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VWFANATIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanimalp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garageEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by godruler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

posting to a 3 year old thread that has been covered extensively elsewhere.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (VWFANATIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VWFANATIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From personal experiance I have poly torque mounts and those caused the top mounts to wear quick so I have just filled the top passenger mount with the 3M and will let u know my results. I cant stand engine movement, been a problem in every FWD i have owned. By the way you can buy this product at your local advance auto for $14 and if you have ocean state they sell caulking guns for $1.29 and putty knife for a $1, my only advise would be to invest in rubber gloves as well cause this stuff is messy and very hard to get off anything especially your hands </TD></TR></TABLE>

nice 04 bump
Old 10-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...and I was thinking about buying inserts.

Does this mean I wont need the front transmission mount anymore???
Old 10-04-2007, 04:46 PM

The ftont mount is absorb the front thurst when changing gears.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3M Windo-Weld = Good (Ef *****)