1991 CRX Turbo B18 project/build thread - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

1991 CRX Turbo B18 project/build thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #26
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX Turbo B18 project/build thread

Time for a quick update where I'm at with the car.

Over the weekend I was determined to work out the tuning issues and get the car running great. However, I found that it seemed my entire fuel map was too lean by around 40%, which couldn't possibly be right.

First thing I need to double check is that my calibrations weren't corrupted by the old faulty S300 when I downloaded them. So I am going to create a new base tune, compare the maps and see if it runs better on that.

More than likely, I am thinking there is a mechanical issue with the fuel system. I am going to cover everything, replacing the filter, possibly FPR, cleaning injectors and do a pressure test. I can hear the pump chugging away so I am doubting it's the problem, but will check it out if pressure is an issue.

If all else fails and it turns out my tune is bad, then I will need a re-tune which sucks. However, if I am going to get it tuned I was thinking why not swap out the GSR cams for a set of turbo cams while I'm at it, and maybe some other valve train upgrades

It's a slippery slope!

More to come this weekend.
2x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #27
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Today did not turn out as I had hoped. I installed the new fuel filter, then attempted to hook up the fuel pressure tester kit I loaned from Autozone. Only to find that none of the adapters would hook up to my Benen fuel rail. Wtf.

It looks like my rail has 3/8npt ports and 1/4npt reducer on one end which is where I wanted to pull from. How could a universal tester not have 1/4npt?! Anyway, I took it back, and ordered myself a cheap one I found online that comes with 1/4npt adapters. So now it'll be next weekend before I can pressure test.

The filter did not solve my issue, nor did running a new base tune. So more than likely I am still looking at a mechanical issue vs a tuning issue. I also noted that when idling on all cyls, it pulls 18 inches of vacuum. So I doubt a vac leak is the problem. I'm leaning towards the FPR.

I noticed after the car was sitting for a while there was a hissing sound from the fuel filter and a little gas had leaked from the banjo bolt. Always have hated banjo bolts. Used 2 new washers but still leaking. Guess I need to clean all the mating surfaces and reassemble.

The only upside today was the 60 degree weather, and sun shine so I was able to snap a few pics. Til next week...

Old 02-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #28
EFB055

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x0 View Post
Real nice!
~sp33~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #29
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Got her running good today! While sitting in my driveway, at least...

Found some problems in the tune, injector dead times and phasing were off. With those fixed, it idles and revs with no issues.

If only I could have figure this out last weekend before we had a week of 60 degree weather... now there's 18" of snow on the ground

Still glad to have made progress!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #30
Honda-Tech Member

good and ouch about weather
ssmrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #31
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Now that the crx is running good, but I can't drive it to do any more tweaking in that department, I am turning my attention to a few minor cosmetic issues.

1.) Getting rid of the decals/stickers

It had this huge obnoxious banner on the rear glass advertising that it's turboed. Try as I might, I could not find any reference to this "lower north industries" anywhere online.

I would've removed it regardless. Not a huge fan of stickers or advertising what's inside.

I also plan to remove the "DOHC VTEC" door stickers the PO had installed.
They are proving to be a pain to remove, but I'll get some after pictures.

Next I am thinking maybe 20% or 35% window tint. I don't want it to look too dark for a white car where it looks cheap.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #32
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Almost done with this one

On another note, my oil leak is still pretty bad, and I'm having a hard time tracking down the source.

There is oil all down the return line from the turbo, covering the oil pan, and I found some concentrations around the oil pan gasket. Anytime I let the car run then park it, it leaves about a 10" diameter spot on the floor.

Any suggestions for where to start on this? Not a huge leak but will be annoying.

I wiped everything down a little so perhaps it will be easier to track. I'm suspecting multiple leaks.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:23 AM   #33
Honda-Tech Member

axels, pan gasket, return line connection and fitting etc
Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #34
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmrico View Post
axels, pan gasket, return line connection and fitting etc
Yeah, oil pan gasket is one thing I'm afraid of, really didn't want to have to pull the pan. I am going to start with the return line, probably scrape off the old gasket if there is one, clean the surfaces and apply some high temp RTV silicone.

I really hope there is not fluid coming out of the differential. Know of anywhere I can find some detailed images or diagrams of where the potential leak points would be on the transmission? Gaskets where the axles go in, any leak points around the shift linkage, etc?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #35
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Attempted to tackle the oil leak tonight, pulled the return oil line and fitting off of the turbo. I then scraped and sanded off the old gasket material, and applied a new layer of copper RTV silicone.

Interestingly when I removed the hose, about 1/4 quart of oil poured out of the fitting in the oil pan, even with the front of the car raised. The fitting is as close to the top of the oil pan as it can be, so this makes me think the dipstick is not accurate and I may have overfilled it slightly. This could explain partially why the return line was leaking, if it was not able to flow readily back into the pan.

You can see the location of the oil pan fitting here.

Additionally I had noticed that my front left caliper was scraping against the wheel near the hub at some point. My quick fix will be to add some 3mm spacers, but eventually I will be in the market for bigger brakes and/or new wheels.

With the weather forecast looking positive this weekend and into next week, hoping to be able to take her out soon
Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #36
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the link in your comment. Man is that a nice looking rex! I used to own a 91 dx. Nothing better than a white honda! Will be watching!
BETaEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 AM   #37
Honda-Tech Member

maybe that was part of the issue who knows. did u for sure figure it out?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #38
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I drove the car to work a few days ago (22 miles each way, mostly highway). Figured it was running good enough, wanted to feel out the other issues.

- I am 99% sure my passenger side inner CV joint is bad. I ordered a new axle to swap it out and hopefully it resolves the issue. Will inspect the diff while I have it out. Basically anytime I would get on the throttle from around 35-45mph, the car would shake pretty bad. I am hoping this might also resolve the clacking sound when decelerating. The axle seal also leaks a bit of fluid, leaves a couple drops anywhere I park.

- The oil leak is mostly fixed. It still leaves like 1 drop after I park, but it only does after the car is turned off, not while it's running. Not enough to concern me, and could still be that when not running the oil level is at or above where the return line enters the pan.

Otherwise, the car ran good if I tried to ignore the noises from (I think) the axle. It shifts pretty good, though it is a pain in the *** to get into 5th sometimes. The AFR's were decent at cruising between 14 and 15. When I got on it, there seemed to be a lot of lag in the AFR readings, like 1-2 seconds before it would richen up after I open the throttle. I have heard this is normal with AEM widebands. Either way I am not going to push it very hard until I fix the axle or shaking issue, and also get real e85 into it since right now it has e70 winter blend in the tank.

Oh, I also got my 3mm wheel spacers for the fronts, and some hub centric rings in the mail today. I'll throw those on when I do the axle, just for peace of mind with the brake clearance. It didn't seem to be a problem when I drove it, I just don't like it being that tight.

Last edited by 2x0; 03-13-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #39
Honda-Tech Member

Good updates and yeah hope axel is the issue and a easy fix
Old 03-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #40
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Got the new axle today and more MTF. All I need is a 32mm socket and I'll be ready to tackle this job as time allows. Should have some decent weather coming in the next couple weeks so I'm pretty excited to get this thing goin. Fingers crossed there aren't any other issues.

About $50 shipped from Rock Auto. I've heard bad things about the remanufactured ones. But either way, this will just be to get me by and make the car driveable until I get a set of decent axles in it.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 AM   #41
Honda-Tech Member

good pick up
Old 03-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #42
Honda-Tech Member

That's a great looking CRX bro. I just picked up a 91 EF hatchback SI a few days ago.
My buddy unfortunately took his life and I'm taking over ownership of his EF and I'm going
to completely rebuild it/tune it the way he would have wanted. I can't wait to get started!
Pico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #43
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico View Post
That's a great looking CRX bro. I just picked up a 91 EF hatchback SI a few days ago.
My buddy unfortunately took his life and I'm taking over ownership of his EF and I'm going
to completely rebuild it/tune it the way he would have wanted. I can't wait to get started!

Sounds good man, I will look out for your build thread. Sorry to hear about your friend.

I got the new axle installed yesterday, along with the wheel spacers and hub rings I had purchased. Didn't get any pics of the install because I was pressed for time. I checked out the old axle and there was nothing noticeably wrong with it. So I am just hoping like hell that it fixes some of my issues.

In the process I tore the dust boot on the lower ball joint with the separator fork I used. So now I gotta get back in there and replace the boot soon. Note to self: anytime separating ball joints, have a new set of dust boots ready to go in.

I also found out that whatever brake/hub kit the PO used to mate up with the B series axles, there is basically no hub left protruding for the wheel to center on. The wheel studs also seemed rather short. So I was a little hesitant about adding the 3mm spacers. But after seeing the groove that was cut into the back of the driver's side wheel from the brake caliper, I decided to go ahead with the spacers. Still have 3-4 turns threaded on the lug nuts by the time they were tight

Just waiting now for the weather to be nice enough that I can drive it and see if the axle fixed anything. We've had rain every day that I am able to drive it, which is only a couple days a week when I don't have to drop off the kids on my way to work....

Waiting anxiously.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #44
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

After changing the passenger axle, drove the car today and it did not solve any of my issues.

Still shakes while accelerating between 30-40mph

Still makes clacking noise while decelerating

What should I check next? Other axle or motor mounts would make sense, but I'm not sure how to check the mounts. The transmission is so noisy that I wonder if it's not just screwed up or even a clutch issue.

On a side note Im considering putting it up for sale. I don't have the time and energy to put into solving these issues so that the car can meet it's potential. I just want something to drive. If anyone would be interested let me know.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #45
Honda-Tech Member

shaking check balancing maybe or for a bent wheel or a bump on a tire or tires.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #46
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update, I have had some other threads going but will summarize here.

I had all the wheels checked and balanced, one of the front wheels was bent. So I had it switched to the back and they were able to balance it out.

The shaking continues. Not sure if having the bent wheel on the back and balanced was not enough to get rid of it? Might try another set of wheels if I could find some to swap with.

I am suspecting I might have a misfiring issue though that could also be the cause. While driving today, the engine would randomly cut as if I was hitting a rev limiter, and wideband would read air. I am thinking I have a fuel or ignition issue. I am going to check the plugs to see what they tell me, and might send the injectors out for cleaning and flow testing.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #47
Honda-Tech Member

weather change a lot? maybe fuel cut or yeah sensor on TB or dirty injectors
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #48
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Haha well, I actually found out yesterday that the reason it starting cutting out, is it was low on gas.

Turns out it is empty when my fuel gauge reads just under 1/2 tank. Luckily I made it to a station nearby that has e85 and filled up, then that problem went away.

However I still have reason to believe that my vibration may be caused by a misfire. If I try to throttle through it, it's like there is no power and my AFR's don't richen up as much as they should.

I pulled the plugs last night, they all look even and tan, none show any sign of a cylinder not firing correctly. I will throw a new set of plugs in and see what they tell me. But I also plan to pull the injectors and have them flow tested and cleaned.

Slowly but surely, I will eliminate all possible causes and hopefully get her runnin right.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #49
Honda-Tech Member

Oh lmao well easy fix huh
Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #50
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Been a while since I've updated.... I am still battling with the vibration issue, just haven't had a lot of time to work on it.

What I've done recently:
- New passenger axle
- Injectors cleaned
- New spark plugs
- Fuel pressure tested OK
- Wheels balanced
- Alignment checked
- Checked motor mounts, sub frame, brakes, suspension, tie rods, every nut bolt and screw.

It is still running a bit lean under all conditions. During normal driving my S. trim and L. trim are both between 5 and 10%. I don't know how the tune could be this far off, but am going to try adding some fuel. I doubt that this is causing my vibration problem.

The only other thing it could be is the transmission, a bad bearing or something. Just wish there was some way to diagnose it and know what exactly is going on.