Notices

1991 Civic Hatch H22 swap build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Civic Hatch H22 swap build thread

A lil premiss... Little over a year ago I was running a H swapped 90 accord I had put together. My first swap I ever did. Ran fine. Untill a miss shift on interstate 70 at 104mph roasted the clutch and flywheel. I missed 4th and hit 2cnd. Thanks to my shitty clutch slipping and the fact I did a manual tentioner convertion is the other reasons why I think my motor didnt pop. The tach in my car went to 9K by the time i had pushed the clutch in. Anyways. Stuck a 3K lbs chassy that didnt move I started looking for a differnt platform. And here we are.

1991 Clean Civic hatch that was converted from auto to manual already. Bearly ran. Previous owner picked the shell up for a new doner since his hatch was rusting apart. Decided he wanted a house instead and I ended up with it.

Plans were simple. To take my H power plant and cram it in the civic.

MOD List :
JDM H22A (Already owend )
T2W4 Accord Euro R trans ( Orderd waiting on shipping )
ESP Engine mount kit ( Orderd )
Exedy OEM/Professional Clutch kit ( Still Need )
Fidanza 8lbs fly ( Still need )
Raxels half shafts ( Still need )
Acura DC front hubs and rear brakes ( Still Need ).
Tein lowering springs ( Installed, came with the car )
Attached Images           
Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Civic Hatch H22 swap build thread

Acura DC front hubs and rear brakes ( Still Need ).
Do the DC front hubs fit the H series axles? Looks to be a good build. I'd use a stock flywheel because I don't really care too much about weight and the power transfer but I'm just ranting. Definitely spend the bucks on the clutch though.

On the H swap, I see a lot of people use the H to B adapter plates so they can run the B series cable transmission in the EF. Saves you from doing a hydro conversion and they are known to fit and function. I haven't seen anyone use the accord H series transmission, so I'm excited to see that. On the plus of the B series trans, you can use the knuckles/front hubs that are on that chassis.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Do the DC front hubs fit the H series axles? Looks to be a good build. I'd use a stock flywheel because I don't really care too much about weight and the power transfer but I'm just ranting. Definitely spend the bucks on the clutch though.

On the H swap, I see a lot of people use the H to B adapter plates so they can run the B series cable transmission in the EF. Saves you from doing a hydro conversion and they are known to fit and function. I haven't seen anyone use the accord H series transmission, so I'm excited to see that. On the plus of the B series trans, you can use the knuckles/front hubs that are on that chassis.
raxels makes the custom axel i need for the one side so axels arnt a issue.

As for the h2b plate, I thought of that but there not cheap and i dumped a pretty penny on this itr accord trans. Since they have custom axels i need figured this was a easier way of going.

My ESP kit came with the alt relocator brakets to avoid the headlight clearance issues and it also came with the cable to hydro adapter so I can use the accord trans...

I loved how my ultra light flywheel worked on my accord, yea it was a lil light but It didnt give me anyfits till I raped it on the freeway lol. Since the clutch kit i was looking at had it all together figured what the hell ya know?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine bay getting, some love. Not sure how im gonna paint the back side.

I had to pound my cross-member / steering rack to allow room for the trans to rock and sit back far enough for the engine to sit square. I also made room to get the trans plug out to check fluid level.

Tossed in a few pics of the reconstructed wiring harness. In these pics its not finished, but 95% there. Also a pic of my OBD0 to 1 Harness.

Paint finish will be rattle can satin black. Just black primer in the pics.
Attached Images           
Old 10-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. Good progress on the wiring harness.

And as far as the parts you listed, I know what you mean. Rock what you got. I didn't think those transmissions were cheap, does it have a LSD? And custom axles are nice. You can probably put down more power with those and not worry about it.

Your ESP kit is legit. Didn't know if came with the hydro adapter. Didn't really look close enough.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. Good progress on the wiring harness.

And as far as the parts you listed, I know what you mean. Rock what you got. I didn't think those transmissions were cheap, does it have a LSD? And custom axles are nice. You can probably put down more power with those and not worry about it.

Your ESP kit is legit. Didn't know if came with the hydro adapter. Didn't really look close enough.

Thanks man. Im just some sit at home nerd. Went to tech school for electronics and just left it at that. Im currently a full time valet. Living the life right? jajajaja. Anyways...

Yea I got the esp complete kit, so comes with the 3 mounts, traction bar, alt kit, and hydro conversion.

The T2W4 is the euro accord trans, has factory honda lsd and shorter gears than the m2b4 from what im told. I got the last one hmotors had. I wanted the m2b4 since it was cheaper and im on a budjet... But they didnt have any and only had this thing. They offerd me a deal and it was mine. I honestly cant source them easily either. Think i ended up with a gem lol.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tgdrums1990
Thanks man. Im just some sit at home nerd. Went to tech school for electronics and just left it at that. Im currently a full time valet. Living the life right? jajajaja. Anyways...

Yea I got the esp complete kit, so comes with the 3 mounts, traction bar, alt kit, and hydro conversion.

The T2W4 is the euro accord trans, has factory honda lsd and shorter gears than the m2b4 from what im told. I got the last one hmotors had. I wanted the m2b4 since it was cheaper and im on a budjet... But they didnt have any and only had this thing. They offerd me a deal and it was mine. I honestly cant source them easily either. Think i ended up with a gem lol.
Sounds almost as useful as my schooling, Nuclear Physics. Haha. Didn't do me any good in the Army, still isn't doing anything for me working for the governement.

Hmotors is solid when it comes to parts and deals.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Subbing.

I kinda wish it was gonna be h2b tho...

Plans to stay NA?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black R
Subbing.

I kinda wish it was gonna be h2b tho...

Plans to stay NA?
This just reminded me, I saw a D2B all motor NA build the other day. 160 whp out of a D16Z6. Pretty cool little thing. It was whipping stock B series motors left and right. Beat a B16A even after giving the car a full car length.

But back on topic, I don't remember how well H22s stand up to boost on stock internals.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard both sides of H22's and boost. With really conservative tuning, they can put up with a ton of boost. When people try putting forged pistons in with stock sleeves, you get issues.

H2B is the way to go. or G2B+boost. Is your trans LSD?

For some reason, I don't think DC teg hubs fit the Civic spindle.

OH I've got that saaaame traction bar. It fits AWESOME. I love it!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Canadian_EF
I've heard both sides of H22's and boost. With really conservative tuning, they can put up with a ton of boost. When people try putting forged pistons in with stock sleeves, you get issues.

H2B is the way to go. or G2B+boost. Is your trans LSD?

For some reason, I don't think DC teg hubs fit the Civic spindle.

OH I've got that saaaame traction bar. It fits AWESOME. I love it!
Same with me on the H22s and boost. So you're saying it's in the sleeves. Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

What is G2B? He said he already got the trans, so he's sticking with it. LSD Euro edition.

I don't know on the DC teg hubs myself. DA do fit. DC might, but I thought they were like an inch taller. Like the EG hubs/suspension.

And I wanted that traction bar, but I got an innovative one for half price so I couldn't say no!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same with me on the H22s and boost. So you're saying it's in the sleeves. Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

What is G2B? He said he already got the trans, so he's sticking with it. LSD Euro edition.

I don't know on the DC teg hubs myself. DA do fit. DC might, but I thought they were like an inch taller. Like the EG hubs/suspension.

And I wanted that traction bar, but I got an innovative one for half price so I couldn't say no!
The key word is hub. The hub is the rotating assembly. It would take machine work to make it fit the Civic knuckle/spindle. DA knuckles will work. Get adjustable UCAs (or a camber kit) to fix the possible camber issues.

It is a combination of FRM sleeves and forged pistons, not that the sleeves are weak, but they are designed for the pistons that came from factory. It is a special coating or material incorporated into the piston. FRM sleeves are incredibly strong.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Canadian_EF
The key word is hub. The hub is the rotating assembly. It would take machine work to make it fit the Civic knuckle/spindle. DA knuckles will work. Get adjustable UCAs (or a camber kit) to fix the possible camber issues.

It is a combination of FRM sleeves and forged pistons, not that the sleeves are weak, but they are designed for the pistons that came from factory. It is a special coating or material incorporated into the piston. FRM sleeves are incredibly strong.
You sparked my interest in something. Sending you a PM.

And I'm with you on the sleeves being strong. When I said weak point, I meant failure point. If you upgrade the pistons, but not something else, it's more likely to break that something else.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Freeman has it right. I ment the DA hub or what ever one will work.

Yes my transmission is lsd equiped. factory honda lsd unit as well. And being the euro accord trans ill bet it will have as short of gears as those si trans's. Im a accord guy. New to the civic world. So i could be wrong, but if u compare the specs of the T2W4 trans i thought they were pretty close.

Im staying na, thats why i found a DX civic hatch that was as base model as they come so it would be super light. Ill be happy if I can get into the 12's with slicks.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Freeman has it right. I ment the DA hub or what ever one will work.

Yes my transmission is lsd equiped. factory honda lsd unit as well. And being the euro accord trans ill bet it will have as short of gears as those si trans's. Im a accord guy. New to the civic world. So i could be wrong, but if u compare the specs of the T2W4 trans i thought they were pretty close.

Im staying na, thats why i found a DX civic hatch that was as base model as they come so it would be super light. Ill be happy if I can get into the 12's with slicks.
I can see high 12s with this car. I don't know what kind of power the H22 makes and the specs on the trans. But it seems like 250 HP in an EF gets you into the meat of the 12s.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can see high 12s with this car. I don't know what kind of power the H22 makes and the specs on the trans. But it seems like 250 HP in an EF gets you into the meat of the 12s.
T2W4 - 3.285 - 2.090 - 1.481 - 1.071 - 0.812 - 4.266 LSD

The SIR civic trans is slighty shorter but not by much. It may help me slightly so im not shifting every second.

My H ran strong. Tho I ran the accord trans LONG gears. 40 in 1st 70 in second and 105 in 3rd. It moved itself. I had mad traction issues being a one wheeler squeeler and factory suspention. I can only hope I gusse lol. Ive spent a pretty chunk of change.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good Start!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which H22A do you have? Trying to figure out the HP. It should be around 200 at the flywheel. You'll probably want to tune it somewhat, to get the power out of your bolt ons.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which H22A do you have? Trying to figure out the HP. It should be around 200 at the flywheel. You'll probably want to tune it somewhat, to get the power out of your bolt ons.
JDM H22a with a generic basemap for h on a p28 ecu. Ide gusse itd make around 200hp at crank. JDM h's i thought were rated around 210hp. Mines aged a tad. Ill be running a megan header and down pipe. obx test pipe and obx exaughst system. 2.5" pipe.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM H22a with a generic basemap for h on a p28 ecu. Ide gusse itd make around 200hp at crank. JDM h's i thought were rated around 210hp. Mines aged a tad. Ill be running a megan header and down pipe. obx test pipe and obx exaughst system. 2.5" pipe.
There area couple that are rated at 187 and a couple that are 217. But most of them are like 198-210 that I saw. That's just wiki information though.

If you get a good tune, you should be able to hit 200 at the wheels probably.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I managed to get the engine bay painted before weather got cold here in ohio. Warm weather comming next week so il be able to get some more work done on the car. Hoping to finish harness up tmrw.

So figured Ide post pics of the finished engine bay. Before I knarl it all up putting stuff back in.
Attached Images