Notices

1991 civic 1.4 dual carb. central locking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 civic 1.4 dual carb. central locking?

hi
i have recently bought a 1991 honda civic gl as a first car and it didnt come with a handbook. there are severla things i dont know about it.

When i bought the car i was told it had central locking but i cant get it to work. Before i bought they replaced the battery is there anything i need to do to set up the central locking again

also what oil does the car take eg is it 15w-40

and one more thing i have an alarm on the car there is a lock in the glove box you have to turn and i have a handset to disarm it but can i arm the alarm with the handset as well.

Please help if you can

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Adrian

Old 07-09-2002, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1991 civic 1.4 dual carb. central locking? (itsrelfy)

#1 - are you talking central locking as in a switch on the driver's door? or a keyless entry system with your alarm remote? If you're refering to a factory central locking system check your fuses (both boxes, one under the dash and one in the engine compartment, I forget which one it's in) and make sure they're all good. Beyond that, it's gonna get kinda technical (and possibly expensive).

Now if you just have an aftermarket keyless system that's controlled by the alarm remotes, (the alarm could control a factory CLS as well), but no switch on the dr. door, then that opens up a whole new can o' worms. without knowing what shop (or hack) installed the system, there could be a hundred different things that could be going wrong. since the battery was having problems, that leads me to believe that it's a blown fuse somewhere, but if it's an aftermarket system, that fuse could be anywhere. Unless you have extensive wiring experiance, I'd take it to a professional.

#2 - Oil desisions are based more on driving style, weather conditions, and personal preferance. Too many variables for a straight answer.

#3 - You worded this one kind of wierd, but I'll try to help. I'm having problems figuring out what the alarm has to do with the fact that the glove box locks, and when you say "handset" I assume you mean remote. So, yes you can arm the alarm with the remote. If you can't, you've got yourself a REALY cheap alarm and it's not going to be any good anyway.

Hope this helps and congrats on your purchace.

[Modified by thumpu77, 10:12 PM 7/9/2002]