Notices

1990 ED6 DX B18b1 LSVTEC swap, Build thread, may ask questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 ED6 DX B18b1 LSVTEC swap, Build thread, may ask questions.

Hey guys! Thought I’d make a proper build thread for my swap Incase anyone else decides to go the route I’m going. I’m only 18 at the time of posting, but I consider myself fairly well versed in cars in general, and have a specific passion for honda’s This ED6 I’ve nicknamed “The Civvi” is a red, 5 spd (or was) and it had the D15b1 dual point motor in it. Reason I’m swapping is the pesky timing belt snapped and I really was just waiting for something like this to happen to give me an excuse to do this swap. I’m saving all the money I can from my pizza job to do this build so I suspect it’ll take a while. I’m going to keep it updated though. I’ve already got a B18b1 from a 1996 Acura Integra, and the 5spd Hyrdo transmission from it as well. My parts list I have and am going to get is as followed, Have: Supertech Dual Valve Springs, Supertech Stainless Steel Retainers, and Supertech Valve Seals. Going to get: GSR Head, Skunk 2 Intake manifold, (deal is already lined up for those just waiting for time to drive up to get them with work and school in the way), Manley H Beam rods, Wiseco Pistons, some camshafts that I’m uncertain on atm as well, VTEC Conversion Kit for the B18b1 block to the GSR head, Innovative mounts, ARP Main, Rod, and Head studs, Hydro - to - Cable clutch conversion kit, Lightened Flywheel (unsure of brand atm), Some good clutch (same as flywheel), Hondata S300 ECU, Custom shift linkage for this swap, Innovative Engine Mounts, Custom Made Turbo Manifold, Turbo, Steel braided lines, Oil Catch Can, Black Intercooler for stealth with the black plastic bumpers , and unsure of what size injectors or what brand fuel rail I’ve heard AEM makes quality parts but I’m still uncertain, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some things but those are the basics. Obviously I’m going to go to OBD1 because there is no choice if I wanna hit VTEC. I’m wanting to do everything correctly, and by the books, nothing cheaped out on, because I plan on this being reliable and a good car and a fun one to drive. If you’ve found any flaws so far, drop them below. I’m very open to suggestions/criticism/input. thanks for reading, much more to come.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1990 ED6 DX B18b1 LSVTEC swap, Build thread, may ask questions.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are your power goals? You’re going pretty ***** to the wall on your first build lol.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, my original HP goal was 250, now I’m thinking more 300-325. As a college student doing work and school 110% of my cash is going into this car, and quality parts to go on it. Me and my dad have tinkered with cars since I was like 11 or 12 so I have a good understanding of them. He also taught me to never cheap out, and do everything right the first time. So here I am! I’m gonna check bearing - to - crank clearances, gap my rings, just all the very fine stuff that some people neglect to do. ARP everything, so yea. I’m thinking my HP goal is achievable with a turbo car and the parts I’m getting. I would get the block sleeved, but no machine shops local can do that sort of work, or at least machine shops I’d trust. Every place around here is whack, but from what ive read the sleeves should be okay with the HP I’m going for. Not gonna get a crazy big turbo and try to shove 30psi I’d boost in it. Power isn’t really my main goal either, I just want a car that can be good and reliable for a good while. Probably gonna run a very conservative tune on it. Keep everything very safe. Don’t want to blow anything up. Obviously break it in properly, oil changes at 20 miles, 50, 100, 500, and 1,000. Vary revs, don’t beat on it. So yea, these are my goals, to me it sounds realistic and achievable.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:51 AM
Trial User

Icon5 Re: 1990 ED6 DX B18b1 LSVTEC swap, Build thread, may ask questions.

Does this swap requires modification of engine and transmission mounts location on the chassis?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:25 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey there, looks like some solid plans you've got.

One thing I noticed is, you are over-building the engine for your power goal. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just thought you should be aware if not already. That engine build should support 400whp easily. BUT the question is are you going to build the rest of the car to support this as well.

Things to consider that will change depending on if you want 250-300whp or are building to handle 400whp...

- Fuel system, and what fuel do you plan to use. You definitely want to give yourself extra room to grow here, so you aren't maxing out injectors or your fuel pump.
- Clutch
- Suspension and brakes
- What turbo??? probably the most important thing. Needs to be sized properly for your setup and goal, or else the car will feel like a turd.
- Same goes for what cam you choose. Everything must be spec'd properly for the power you plan to make. May as well just stick with GSR cams if below 400hp though.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a fun build and lots to consider depending on your plans. Isn't it funny how initial goals change so quickly? Feel free to reach out with questions on the fuel system.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Super clean shell you are starting with, nice wheels too. Looks like a fun project.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate the comment’s! But I am already looking into larger injectors, probably going to get a lightened flywheel, coilovers of some sort, (haven’t looked a whole lot into those, I wanna get it running first), and I’ve already got a Skunk 2 Intake Manifold, so I’m gonna go ahead and get a nice and pretty AEM Rail to go on it, and as I said previously injectors to go with what power I’m wanting. Gonna pull apart the trans this weekend, give it a very good look over and replace anything that may need it, synchro’s, or whatever needs it. As for the size turbo, I’m not gonna go out and get a super big diesel turbo, not sure exactly on the size, but I want something that spool’s quick and can support up to 325hp without being stressed.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Angel Diaz
Does this swap requires modification of engine and transmission mounts location on the chassis?
You have to get different motor mounts for the swap, and you have to hammer out the driver-side frame rail (or whatever it’s called) so that the alternator will clear.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the deal with the GSR Head fell through so I’m gonna have to get another one. Head was cracked, anyways, this coming Wednesday I get payed and I’m gonna order the bottom end! Big piece of the puzzle there, gonna order bearings and alc that while I’m at it, also, my oil pump and the crank pulley (only for the timing belt) is stuck to the crankshaft, any recommendations that won’t hurt my crank? Because I don’t really wanna beat on it if you all can understand. Think I have a deal lined up with a guy in Kentucky about a B16 Head, which from what I’ve read lowers compression and would make the engine less prone to doing bad things, like blowing up, I’m really just tying to get a good priced head, this B16 Head also comes with an Edelbrock Victor X intake and a Golden Eagle fuel rail, if you all could give some opinions on those parts. All of that for $450, also wanted to ask about big things to look for on B16 heads to ensure it’s a head in tip top shape.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some more parts! Excited to finally start this thing coming together. Got pistons, rods, and a B16 Head, that’s already prepped for LSV. Still need ACL (think that’s the brand) bearings, APR hardware, and just all the other stuff in the motor so I can put it together. But making progress on the build, slow and steady right? Also, anyone have any ideas on an oil pump and and crank timing gauge belt (gear? Cog?) that are stuck on the crank? Don’t wanna damage it.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:28 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

If the keyway is damaged and this is what is preventing the timing gear from coming off the snout of the crank, you may be able to lightly blend the burrs down with files and/or a small rotary tool. Be very careful if you use a rotary tool, and only remove the lifted metal. If it's just frozen on, hose it down with some PB blaster and let it sit a few days before working to pry it off. It may take some heat. If you use heat, work slowly and degrease the parts before you apply the heat, and be ready with a fire extinguisher. You may just want to commit to replacing the gear and oil pump to save the crank. Or, take it to a competent engine shop and they should be able to disassemble it for you.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
If the keyway is damaged and this is what is preventing the timing gear from coming off the snout of the crank, you may be able to lightly blend the burrs down with files and/or a small rotary tool. Be very careful if you use a rotary tool, and only remove the lifted metal. If it's just frozen on, hose it down with some PB blaster and let it sit a few days before working to pry it off. It may take some heat. If you use heat, work slowly and degrease the parts before you apply the heat, and be ready with a fire extinguisher. You may just want to commit to replacing the gear and oil pump to save the crank. Or, take it to a competent engine shop and they should be able to disassemble it for you.
Yea, I definitely wanna keep the crank and not damage it. And thanks for the suggestion’s. I’ll give it a try tomorrow afternoon. I was gonna get a new oil pump anywho, so I’m not really that worried about if it get damaged or not. Just concerned about the Crank. Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
hose it down with some PB blaster and let it sit a few days before working to pry it off.
This^...and some gentle tapping on the gear with a small hammer before prying may help move things along.

Last edited by muellersfan; 12-24-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been a while since I’ve done an update, got the crank gear/pulley thing off. Gonna get wet sleeves dropped in from VPM, probably gonna get LA Wet Sleeves, as that’s what my budget allows for, then I have to get the bottom end assembled. That’s gonna be exciting. wish me luck!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any updates on your build?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, life has been hectic recently, and money has prevented me from going any further as of right now, in March I should have the means to get the block sleeved, and I’m going to get LA Wet sleeves dropped in the block, after that I can really get back on track. I apologize for the lack of updates. School has been sucking up all of my time. More updates soon though guys!! I promise!!
Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why sleeve it? 2x0 already said you're over building the engine before you even mentioned doing that, and I believe he is correct. Personally I would only sleeve if I was going for north of 400 hp. If money is the issue, skip that unnecessary cost and keep on gettin it.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand the cost concern, but I have my money situation figured out now, so I can continue. Gettin LA wet sleeves dropped in soon, taking my block to the machine shop tomorrow. I’m getting sleeves, just for a peace of mind thing. I’d rather get them now, and not worry for the whole time it runs, than regret it later if I were to crack one. I’m way overbuilding this motor really because if I want more power, later on, I won’t have to build another one. I’m banking on having a Turbo B Series that will at least be as reliable as a Turbo B Series can get. It’s my car, and I’m wanting to do everything how I’ve envisioned it in my head, it’s my first car, and I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future, and enjoying it for years to come. I’ll keep you guys updated once I get the block back!! Wish me luck!!
Old 04-01-2019, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, just got the crankshaft back from the machine shop, got polished, and mic’ed. Everything is within spec for Standard Bearing sizes!! Thank god, now I just need to find a good place to buy all of the OEM Rod, and Main bearings that won’t kill me on pricing. The Block is still up at Victory Precision Machine getting sleeved, and pretty soon I’m going to get the head decked, and then build the head to put my dual Valve Springs, SS Retainers, and aftermarket valve seals installed. It’s a process getting this motor together, but it’s a hell of a lot of fun!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got the block back today, all I need to do is get the bore in my sleeves matched to my piston’s, deck and install the valvetrain, build the bottom end, put the head on it, and then the engine itself should be finished, still a lot to do on this car after that, but that’ll be one of the largest hurdles out of the way. The B1 has LA Open Deck wet sleeves now, so I won’t have to worry about cracking any hopefully, makes me feel a lot better at least. After the motor is built I need to go through the transmission, and then get an ECU, mounts, and other things. I’ll keep you all updated!!
Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great work man! Lets see it