Notices

~*~Targa Top CRX project build

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: ~*~Targa Top CRX project build

Never thought I would see a front end conversion on a CRX that looked ok.
The EG, DA, DC, etc. conversions all look bad, but this Silvia front is interesting!
Maybe it's just that it flow with the theme of the car - looks decent on there.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look like dc taillight to me
Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

greeeeat... and you have a 2nd one.. 2 crx's down the drain..
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Icon3 Re: ~*~Targa Top CRX project build

Originally Posted by psychoblue23
greeeeat... and you have a 2nd one.. 2 crx's down the drain..
lol keep in mind the '90 si i bought off a friend and it was ALREADY like that. if you look at some of the pictures you'll see that it was dated back in 2003. so yeah at least 5-6 years outdated. If anything it's more like a show car.

with the '88 hf, im not gonna be doing the same thing. its an '88 hf for a reason, and i'm gonna retain as light weight on it as possible.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by efjones9
its a interesting show car, dont drive it on the streets. people will stare :0
that was exactly what I was thinking hahahaha =P
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CRX Toad
That car is unsafe as it sits. Having cut the roof out of a CRX (parts car) and driving it the chassis flex so much that eventually the car bent itself in half. The roof is a major part of these cars and by doing what has been done you have taken away a lot of structure. You need to have that reinforced with some internal bars. All targa top cars have this in there already because they were designed that way, be it extra sheet metal or other forms of bracing. In what I see here I would not ride in that car with you.

I highly suggest you give my post some thought.
The car is unsafe as it is. but there are reinforcements on the underside of the body so that the chassis doesnt flex. HOW WELL do the 3in beams do their job compared to factory? I dont know, I bought this off my buddy like that.

The roof however IS certainly unsafe. for the moment, it just sits there. I've used 4 screws to align it in place, but i cant drive with the roof on or it probably fly off =P

Anybody have suggestions as to how i should implement latches to lock it in place or weather strips for the roof?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by daoshao
I think its ok. The style is outdated. More like late 90's style, but i still love how your trying to save it. I still have a little ricer in me...hehe.
LOL, im glad at least one person who posted a comment understands my situation here. I'm not doing this solely for my pleasure nor did I design it this way. It's an incomplete project that I thought I should finish and see where it'll take me =]

My OWN actual car with plans and design of my OWN is the white '88 HF. But I think I'll start a new thread for that.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, the '90 is hideous, I can't find one thing I like about it besides the B16. The custom dash and kit molded into the rear quarter panels/doors in particular make me want to throw up. That style was popular in the late 90's, and it was ugly then. I don't understand how anyone could find that aesthetically pleasing at all, especially in comparison to the original car. I would actually like to meet the person who said "man, the CRX looks great, but it would look even better with a Silvia front end, smooth doors, some giant scoops by each wheel well, chrome 18's, and a candy red smooth fiberglass dashboard," because I have something to learn about someone else's aesthetic taste. There's something I am really missing here.

As for the '88...I hope those white interior panels are on the way out
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i acculy kinda like it, alot of hard work went into it. **** the haters man. if u like it then keep doing it, atleast it isnt the cookie cutter dropped,liped civic
Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All that dynamat must have cost more than my entire car :0

Id really like to see how that targa top turns out!! Cool idea imo
Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by hushypushy
damn, the '90 is hideous, I can't find one thing I like about it besides the B16. The custom dash and kit molded into the rear quarter panels/doors in particular make me want to throw up. That style was popular in the late 90's, and it was ugly then. I don't understand how anyone could find that aesthetically pleasing at all, especially in comparison to the original car. I would actually like to meet the person who said "man, the CRX looks great, but it would look even better with a Silvia front end, smooth doors, some giant scoops by each wheel well, chrome 18's, and a candy red smooth fiberglass dashboard," because I have something to learn about someone else's aesthetic taste. There's something I am really missing here.

As for the '88...I hope those white interior panels are on the way out
oh well, in that case, in your eyes what would look great? I have a lot of learning to do too, i'll take this as constructive criticism. Please enlighten me =]
Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get rid of the body kit, RSX Tailights, Chrome Wheels and dual exhausts.... you can keep the Silvia front if you'd like.
It'll look a lot better if you remove those four things.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DiceIsMe
oh well, in that case, in your eyes what would look great? I have a lot of learning to do too, i'll take this as constructive criticism. Please enlighten me =]
which vehicle? the 88HF er the... creature?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeebo
which vehicle? the 88HF er the... creature?
now that you mentioned it, both haha =P
Old 02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say your too far gone with the um... red thing, so you might as well just finish it up by assembling everything and painting it, maybe even reinforcing the frame a little so it wont collapse on the highway. But there is still hope for the HF. Light tasteful mods tend to be my favorite. Just keep it simple.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny how little people read... the OP already stated that the frame is reinforced and it's obvious that it has been driven for quite some time in it's topless condition.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeebo
i would say your too far gone with the um... red thing, so you might as well just finish it up by assembling everything and painting it, maybe even reinforcing the frame a little so it wont collapse on the highway. But there is still hope for the HF. Light tasteful mods tend to be my favorite. Just keep it simple.
hmm sounds good. in fact, that was my plan all along for both. but im not sure how else to reinforce the frame. any suggestions?

for the '88 i was planning to keep the stock look all around. my plans were to convert to a RHD k20 with the jdm glass top and back seats. what do you think?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no offence, but wait till the neighborhood mexicans see that your car will be gone holmes lol
Old 02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
Funny how little people read... the OP already stated that the frame is reinforced
I did read that. its kind of hard to miss it when its within the first 7 sentences of the thread... but as you did state...

Originally Posted by 4drEF
it's obvious that it has been driven for quite some time in it's topless condition.
with all that driving you never really know what it might look like now...im not aware of how great the fab work was.

Originally Posted by DiceIsMe
for the '88 i was planning to keep the stock look all around. my plans were to convert to a RHD k20 with the jdm glass top and back seats. what do you think?
sounds goooood...
Old 02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is far from what I would ever do to a CRX, even if I was given it I still would just scrap what wasn't stock.

BUT...I commend you on not taking offence to peoples comments on here. For the majority, it is far from what other people are into on this site, which is fine as no one should just follow a trend if it isn't there liking and want to be different. Dont let all the negative comments and such get to you. People will be ******** and just let it slide. Best of luck with both your projects, and hope it all works out the way YOU want it to.

-MAZ-
Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's different, not what most would do in todays' day and age, but i like the silvia front end (although given the choice i would've gone s14 not s15, but that's just me). i wanna see what this thing looks like when it's done. It may not be my cup of tea, but goddamn it looks WAY better than so many people's car's around my house (broken fiber glass, miss matched colors, partial body kits, huge dents, huge plume of blue smoke out of the exhuast, etc...). keep up the work man, and remember, each to their own!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW, well I def have never seen anything like it. Like someone else said **** the haters do whatever floats your boat, even though I agree with lite tasteful mods but who on HT doesnt. They all used to like the same **** 10 years ago and the trend just keeps moving, glad to see your not jumping on the bandwagon. Very interested to see how this turns out. KEEP US POSTED
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pimp my ride? lol

this isnt at all my style but i def see your hard work and effort. good luck creating your unique crx!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just curious but are those Dc tails ? there not RSX tails , rsx tails have a slanted edge at the end of them(the middle of the hatch end) not str8 down like these and they have two half circles on the bottom so are they just Dc tails ?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Good luck with the car man. It's goin to be one killer show are =-)

Quick Reply: ~*~Targa Top CRX project build