Notices

[FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX

So, I've seen a lot of people ask for help on installing these lips, mainly because they come with no hardware or instructions. I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to install, and do a simple write up for the Civic/CRX forum.

Please note: This is my way of installing the lip. You may do things differently, but I thought this would at least give some people a starting point, or some idea on how to go about mounting the lip.

Password:JDM says that "minor" modification is required to get the lip to fit. I didn't modify anything on mine, and it seemed to fit fine.

First, I removed my Si lip, and saved the hardware to use with the new lip from Password.

I had some of these screws/tabs laying around and knew a lot of OEM stuff mounted like this, so I figured these would be a good starting point:

I lined the lip up where I wanted it (note the Sharpie marks), drilled two 1/8" holes, and attached two of these screws/clips on each side of the bumper, like so:

After doing this, I noticed the center of the lip was still a bit flimsy, so I made a quick run to Home Depot, and $1.14 later, I had myself some material for custom brackets. They're "tie-straps" and are found on the same aisle with screws and bolts at HD. I bent the tie straps to shape and bolted one end to the lower OEM mounting point for the bumper:

(note how I needed to trim down the "lip" around that mounting point. It only took a few seconds to slice off with a razor blade. This was only because the straps I got were a bit too wide and I didn't have anything to trim them down with.)

Now, I lined the lip from Password:JDM up and marked where the brackets would attach to it. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom section of the lip, and slid the hardware from the OEM lip over the password lip:

A final test-fit before paint. You can see here how I attached the brackets to the lip. The two washers are needed, since the OEM bracket typically connects two pieces of plastic that are about 1/8" thick each. The Password:JDM lip is about this thick, but the metal bracket is much thinner, so the washers ensure that the bolts can tighten down fully:

(Remember that I still need to trim down the extra section of the bracket that hangs back behind the OEM bumper mounting location)

After this, I painted it with Duplicolor Trim paint (avail. at Kragen for ~$5/can) since it came from Password:JDM with an ashy black primer color.

After a final test fit and inspection, I was happy with the results:

Anyways, I hope that gave some of you an idea of how to go about mounting this lip. Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (Mr_CRX)

mad props, i'll be over tomorrow
Old 05-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (Mr_CRX)

good work! you've disspelled all the "you can't do this" rumors.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (LoSt is BlaCk)

i thought they didnt make aftermarket lips for ef's? can i get one for my 91hb?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (93cavRS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93cavRS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought they didnt make aftermarket lips for ef's? can i get one for my 91hb?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Password:JDM sells a similar lip for the hatchback, but its only designed to fit the JDM front end. I'm not sure what else is available for the hatch
Old 05-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya thats what i thought but a buddy of mine tells me u can get a lip to fit so ill ask him thx ne ways lol
Old 05-20-2006, 10:37 PM

Props for ingenuity..fitment looks good. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the top of the lip is flush with bottom of openings for fog lights?

BTW who makes your CF hood? I've heard about JDM style CF hoods for USDM front ends, but never actually seen a pic before. You satisfied with it?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (kwichang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kwichang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Props for ingenuity..fitment looks good. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the top of the lip is flush with bottom of openings for fog lights?

BTW who makes your CF hood? I've heard about JDM style CF hoods for USDM front ends, but never actually seen a pic before. You satisfied with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The top of the lip has "tabs" that sit at the bottom of the fog-light openings. They are similar to the big tab that goes across the big opening in the center.

My hood is made by Fiber Images. I love that it gives me more clearance for a bigger engine (On the underside, it has no webbing in the center of the hood.). The fitment along the fender lines isnt perfect, but I've come to accept it. It's more of a "race" hood anyways (i.e. doesn't have holes for windshield washer squirters or emblems, etc), so it's fine with me.

I could probably get it to fit a little better if I used some hoodpins, but I generally hate how they look. Maybe if I can find some anodized black ones or something so they aren't so noticable...
Old 05-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks really good

after i do paint i should have mine on the way, just not sure if im gonna do CF or not still...
Old 05-20-2006, 11:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The top of the lip has "tabs" that sit at the bottom of the fog-light openings. They are similar to the big tab that goes across the big opening in the center.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oops - missed the tabs in your pics...thanks for the hood info
Old 05-21-2006, 12:43 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (kwichang)

thank you for putting all the nay sayers to rest!!! looks great man, loving the fit nice job with the depot hookups . I was thinking of doing this for my 91 civic hatch mabie i will untill my jdm bumper comes threw. Oh and is that the crx in honda tunning in the back ground, looks like it.

great job again.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (father figure)

nice job! great DIY install
Old 05-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mind passing on the place where to buy the lip from Password?

about how much does it cost, btw?

great work on the front end too -
Old 05-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sexy rex. Love the hood.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: (Tippyman)

sidenote...what's in the background...
Old 05-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (father figure)

Thanks for the comments, guys.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zookr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mind passing on the place where to buy the lip from Password?

about how much does it cost, btw?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just got it from Password themselves. They sell it for $159 shipped, but I don't live too far away, so I just went and picked it up. The price picked up is only $100.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by father figure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Oh and is that the crx in honda tunning in the back ground, looks like it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sidenote...what's in the background...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I knew somebody would end up asking That's my roommate's Jerry's CRX. I think you're talking about Leon's car that was in Honda Tuning. This car was actually built way before Leon's. They both look similar, but Jerry's CRX hasn't been posted on HT much. Leon's car is nice, but this one gets used every day, and never sees a trailer

Old 05-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good, here's a pic I found with that lip on a USDM hatch

Old 05-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (rayzian)

That lip shouldn't go anywhere, I should do it that way all I have is a screw on each side haha. Good work looks good
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (CrxWolf)

do you have anymore pics of the hatch with the lip? where did you find it? Oh yeah your roomates crx is nice!!! Glad that he uses it on a daily bases that is cool.

looks like the fit for the usdm hatch isnt as nice as for the crx usdm.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn your rex looks so nice are those konig heliums
Old 05-21-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (spoonef)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1597117

shameless plug, just tryin to make some money
Old 05-21-2006, 11:15 AM

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (rayzian)

that hatch with the crx front and the integra lip looks good
Old 05-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX (spoonef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn your rex looks so nice are those konig heliums</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. Yeah, they're the 15" Konig Heliums. Super cheap and super lightweight.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrxWolf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That lip shouldn't go anywhere, I should do it that way all I have is a screw on each side haha. Good work looks good </TD></TR></TABLE>

The lip might fit more solidly on the JDM front. I'm not sure, since I don't have a stock JDM bumper to compare it with. I just added those supports since it was still a tiny bit wobbly in the center. It can still flex up and down a bit, which is good if (when) I run it into something
Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on the lip
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (familyGUY wit MUGENride)

bump incase anyone else wants to see this.

Quick Reply: [FAQ] How-To: Installing Password:JDM front lip onto USDM 90-91 CRX