Notices

*garage find* 89 civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: *garage find* 89 civic hatch

Plastic baggies and a sharpie my friend!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok this was the last two days. i tried to take nite pics but we all know how well garage pics at nite look haha. got the interior cleared out and cleaned up a lil bit
Name:  IMG_20131023_134938.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  64.9 KB

deff need to get new front seats at some point. but have to get it driven down rd first lol
Name:  IMG_20131023_135002.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20131023_135017.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  71.7 KB

but it has been in a slight love tap on driver side front bumper so i took everything off to get a better look of what all is hurt. the worse that is goin on is the frame rail up front (engine bay/inner fender seems to have a nice lil crinkle dent goin on....
Name:  IMG_20131023_134658.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20131023_134711.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20131023_134752.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20131023_134800.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20131023_134811.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20131023_134842.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20131023_134911.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  99.8 KB
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Plastic baggies and a sharpie my friend!
dude tell me about it. thats how i do things when i take it apart. i use the baggie sharpie trick and then depending on what it is ill put the bolt right back where it came from
Old 10-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wickedeagans
dude tell me about it. thats how i do things when i take it apart. i use the baggie sharpie trick and then depending on what it is ill put the bolt right back where it came from
Those were new bolts then! Sorry, thought you took those out haha. What are you putting in this again? I saw the dent for a B series alternator, from the looks of it.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha is that dent perfect to do b swap hahaha. no im tryin to figuer out how much it would be to straighten that all out. im puttin the original motor in it (d15b1) it got fully redone n rebuilt to factory spec.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha is that dent perfect to do b swap hahaha. no im tryin to figuer out how much it would be to straighten that all out. im puttin the original motor in it (d15b1) it got fully redone n rebuilt to factory spec.
Okay. I don't want to poot on your plans. But I would put a MPFI intake on that motor possibly. It would give it a lot more umpf. Anyways. It is pretty much exactly where it would need to be to swap in a B-series into the EF. Hilarious!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes. yes it does. why does it make much of a diff?
nice eye lol

There are some subtle differences between the ones made in Canada and the ones made in Japan.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black R
There are some subtle differences between the ones made in Canada and the ones made in Japan.
Is there a difference between the ones made in Canada and the US? My car has a "made in Canada" tag under the hood. Never gave it much thought.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. I don't want to poot on your plans. But I would put a MPFI intake on that motor possibly. It would give it a lot more umpf. Anyways. It is pretty much exactly where it would need to be to swap in a B-series into the EF. Hilarious!
well first-i would really do a b-swap but dont have a b-series and dont have money to get one. second-i have this d15 thats rebuilt.

then yes i would certainly want to do a mpfi conversion on it. and while at it i would like to atleast throw a a6 cam in it but would rather do mini swap here. but yet again i dont have any money havin no money is the only reason its not in and running yet. o-i would also have a si tranny bolted up to it also if had the money lol
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing i really know thats diff is the cat is right under the exhaust manifold and is in the engine bay instead of under the car. thats the only diff i know so far for sure
Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing i really know thats diff is the cat is right under the exhaust manifold and is in the engine bay instead of under the car. thats the only diff i know so far for sure
Thanks for that information.

Stick with the stock D15 for awhile then man. Nothing wrong with that at all.

True story incoming. I had my D15B1, completely stock. Only thing I did was weld in a new muffler. That car was still faster than half the idiots that wanted to race with me on the street. I'll admit, the car is a ricer and everyone wants to race the guy from the Fast and the Furious. It still has some go behind it. Definitely not the slowest thing on the road.

Go with what you have and when the time comes you can upgrade it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that information.

Stick with the stock D15 for awhile then man. Nothing wrong with that at all.

True story incoming. I had my D15B1, completely stock. Only thing I did was weld in a new muffler. That car was still faster than half the idiots that wanted to race with me on the street. I'll admit, the car is a ricer and everyone wants to race the guy from the Fast and the Furious. It still has some go behind it. Definitely not the slowest thing on the road.

Go with what you have and when the time comes you can upgrade it.
id guess there is a few other diffs on the Canada model but not sure other than cat like said lol
yeah i would suspect it would have atleast a lil go cuz its a honda and also its a fully rebuilt gone threw motor. other as been touched and cleaned up or replaced or so forth. yeah imma just slap it together and have it up and running finally (ive hated seeing it just sit in garage for 10 yrs-thus finally bugged them enough to grab ahold of it haha) drive it to and from new job (looks like might b able to get my foot in door @ honda sam swope so hope that goes well, get paid and get parts discounted if i land that then o yes upgrades will happen and more perfection will roll across the car.
right now just tryin to get the frame rail fixed and find good cheap si tranny (as far as i know since its 89 i can use any 89-91 tranny and my stock clutch will match) then slap her nicely together.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id guess there is a few other diffs on the Canada model but not sure other than cat like said lol
yeah i would suspect it would have atleast a lil go cuz its a honda and also its a fully rebuilt gone threw motor. other as been touched and cleaned up or replaced or so forth. yeah imma just slap it together and have it up and running finally (ive hated seeing it just sit in garage for 10 yrs-thus finally bugged them enough to grab ahold of it haha) drive it to and from new job (looks like might b able to get my foot in door @ honda sam swope so hope that goes well, get paid and get parts discounted if i land that then o yes upgrades will happen and more perfection will roll across the car.
right now just tryin to get the frame rail fixed and find good cheap si tranny (as far as i know since its 89 i can use any 89-91 tranny and my stock clutch will match) then slap her nicely together.
Clutch is tranny specific, that's all I really know. But any D-series transmission will fit any D-series motor (except the DOHC ZC) to my knowledge.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

progress looks great so far! keep us posted on this!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch is tranny specific, that's all I really know. But any D-series transmission will fit any D-series motor (except the DOHC ZC) to my knowledge.
yeah i know any d tranny will bolt up to any d block. but from what ive read only the 88 had a diff spline. 89-91 was the same

Originally Posted by Mister Clean
progress looks great so far! keep us posted on this!
o i will keep ya posted.
i love seein progress made on any of these cars. especially nice rare garage finds like this
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Degreaser and power washer. I used to use that stuff when i worked as a detail tech at a dealership. Makes a 200k mile engine look brand new. You can rent power washers from menards i think.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011
Degreaser and power washer. I used to use that stuff when i worked as a detail tech at a dealership. Makes a 200k mile engine look brand new. You can rent power washers from menards i think.
did u see the pics where i cleaned everything up already lol. thanks tho man i appreciate it
and i use to b a detail guy to. do it on side and use to work at detail shop
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good man !
Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by barzano724
Looks good man !
thanks man. i cant wait to start gettin motor in cause its goin to look sharp for a complete stock engine bay (well for the time being hahaha)
Old 10-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so im trying to figuer out if i can pull the car on the jack on the front on a flat bed and get to frame shop n everybody be ok with it being rolled around all on the jack up front.
cause from what ive read i have to put the axles in the hubs so i can put the front wheel on and roll it around. well i also have to put the front strut and bottom ball joint and nut on.
any suggestions on gettin the car how it is in the pics so frame shop guys can straighten her out perfectly for me?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so im trying to figuer out if i can pull the car on the jack on the front on a flat bed and get to frame shop n everybody be ok with it being rolled around all on the jack up front.
cause from what ive read i have to put the axles in the hubs so i can put the front wheel on and roll it around. well i also have to put the front strut and bottom ball joint and nut on.
any suggestions on gettin the car how it is in the pics so frame shop guys can straighten her out perfectly for me?
I am not sure if it is a recommended option, but I successfully rolled my shell in and out of the garage a few times without axles in, and without any steering whatsoever. I just had to check other side often to make sure that the wheels were pointing in the right direction. But the knuckles, and wheels and shocks were there... otherwise it wouldn't be rolling, just dragging.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well this is what imma just go for.
i put the struts back on, bolted up the lower ***** joints and put the wheels back on. imma just leave the axles out and get it to frame shop n then get it back home and tear it all back apart. ill put new wheel bears in the knuckles and ill get a chance to paint the knuckles and the metal splash guard there and ill clean up the struts while they are back off then ill start finally gettin a chance to put her back together.
ive been makin my list of parts that ill need and things that are needed to button it all up. over time i plan to make this girl mint like her under body is (still so stocked to have rust free honda finally
imma use autozone sae 30 non detergent oil for the brake in
then drain it use castrol syntec blend but not sure what weight to use 5w30 or 10w/30?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's a new motor so may as well go with what they suggest (5w30). Man I was so suprised to see that bent frame rail, that would be considered salvaged here. I actually sold my old '91 SI just because of that same wrinkle. Didn't want to throw allot of money into it with a bent frame, so I got an '89 SI w/ a carbon fiber hood for $250 (not running, ended up being a broken cam) still a very good price.
Anyways, keep up the hard work she's coming along nicely.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by estewar03
Well it's a new motor so may as well go with what they suggest (5w30). Man I was so suprised to see that bent frame rail, that would be considered salvaged here. I actually sold my old '91 SI just because of that same wrinkle. Didn't want to throw allot of money into it with a bent frame, so I got an '89 SI w/ a carbon fiber hood for $250 (not running, ended up being a broken cam) still a very good price.
Anyways, keep up the hard work she's coming along nicely.
o its not to bad of a bumper tap she had.. i say couple hundred bucks at most at frame shop to fix her. i believe something like $60-80 a hr (imma call around and see how much a hr around me tho) and i think it would only take a couple hrs for them to do especially since i did some of the work of gettin stuff outta there way so they can work on it and plus the engine is out lol.
uncle said it didnt effect its driving ability but im doin this cause im little ocd and meticulous. i like things done the right way.
i have a huge list off stuff im lookin to get before i get it all done and start driven. some will just have to wait till later times but gosh i wish i had everything i want to do to it now so i could do all at once especially since i have full access to everything right now lol
ill get what i can get done for mean time
Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should be a nice build tread keep us updated.

Quick Reply: *garage find* 89 civic hatch