Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Ways to Lift you 1st Gen Cr-V

Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ways to Lift you 1st Gen Cr-V

Originally Posted by superfastb20a
Hey so now that my lift is on and I have had the pleasure of exploring all different routes of doing it I just wanted to make a list of various ways you are able to lift it because when you look on the internet you get all sorts of random ideas and a lot of back reading is involved.

1st way:

Lift Springs - these come from only 2 companies that I know off after BDS stopped making them and they are Old Man Emu and Camel 4x4

OME springs which retail about $350+shipping for all 4. I dealt with this company and their customer service is not very customer friendly and also the wait time is about 3 months to get your springs since they are shipped from Australia but I hear they have nice ride quality.

Camel 4x4 springs are the ones I opted to order because they are A. cheaper than OME springs and B. located in the united states so I got my springs in about 2 weeks time. I must say I was very satisfied with their customer service and Eli the owner of the company actually answers the phone most of the time and he is a great person with lots of knowledge in the field and dosnt mind if you pick his brain a little bit on the phone and I am very satisfied with the ride quality of the springs on and off road.

2nd way:

Is to use strut spacers in between the body, these can be used with oem springs to keep the stock ride quality while lifting the same or more as lift springs. The only thing I was iffy with about this modification is if you keep stock springs they have a lot of body roll to them and with the raised center of gravity could be recipe for rolling your vehicle but if used with upgraded sway bars and strut bars could be a comparable way to lift the vehicle safely and much cheaper than springs

3rd way:

Is to actually make your own coil overs for the vehicle. This can be done by using ek coil over sleeves on whatever strut with 9in-10in hyper-coil springs (ordered off ebay for 64.99 a piece) with a front spring rate of 675lbs and a rear spring rate of 375lbs (same as ksport coil overs) effectively providing you with a adjustable ride height for people who would desire such. I have not seen any people attempt this yet I was going to but decided against it since my crv is also my daily driver vehicle. If someone does please post a write up for us so we can admire the work.

Struts:
I used tokico hp struts on my crv lift and they ride nice (i have formerly used these on several civics i have owned) they offer a nice ride with great handling but you can also use bilstein or oem struts if you so desire to.

Tires:
I have heard of people running up to a 31in tire on camel4x4 lift with slight modification to the wheel well. I myself am using Kumho sl671 sa-t 235/75r15 they equate to about a 30x9.2in in tire and I get a very minor rub on extremely hard turning but that is it and it is easily taken care of by grinding down a little plastic bump in the inside if the wheel well.

Wheels:

I am using a crager 342 with a 4.25in back spacing(have seen people use a 4in bs as well) and +6mm offset (THESE WHEELS REQUIRE AT LEAST A 1/4IN SPACER TO BE USED) the wheels are great and look great on crv's you can use any steel wheel. I AM using stock lugs for this setup in order to do this with spacers the wheel must be no more than .255in thick at the hub plate with this setup I have 5 turns on my front lug nuts and 4.5 turns on my rear lug nuts I am also using the lowest lock tite on them just in case. I have extended lugs but didn't think it necessary to put them in. The matter of using extended lugs in this application is purely my own opinion I am in no way shape or form telling you its the best way to go. But if you look at osx2000's crv he has had his lifted on stock the almost same setup with stock lugs since 2006. So it is purely up to you if you want to use them or not.

If you have any questions I will be more than happy to assist you as best as i can as I know if was a bi*ch back reading pages upon pages of forums to get the information that I needed to lift my car and that I have posted here. I hope this helps many people out and alleviates some headaches.

Also here is a picture of what my Cr-V looks like after the lift and tires.

Also in my opinion a mod should sticky this.

okay so what i was wondering can you run air struts on a coilover set up ? you said you explored "everyway" too lift your crv but what if you run the emu lift with air shocks ? a guy at work just got them put on his van and i know its not a coilover set up but i was just wondering becasue then you can air them down have your lift too run bigger tires but then when you want more cearance on the trails you just air them up and get another 2-4"

i know it would be stiff as hell but would it work ?

Last edited by 2000crv sport; 05-16-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the lift and the bigger tiers what mpg do you get
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys not to hi-jack a thread but if anyone's interested in a full set of OME springs (BNIB) just let me know. Was going to lift my wife's V too but she's not as thrilled, lol.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Trial User

how much you want for them
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rob1004B.
how much you want for them
I'd say $250 Shipped anywhere in the lower 48 sounds fair. Just pm me for any questions and with an email addy for pics. Not trying to clutter the thread up and get everybody mad at me.
-Sold to 4cylfeind-

Last edited by GAB20Z; 05-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to Thread Jack just Fill'n in more information.

Originally Posted by Rob1004B.
with the lift and the bigger tiers what mpg do you get
My Wife's gets about 22 MPG if your Light on the Pedal.
Her Current Set up:
235/75-15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs Tires
Pro Comp 15x7 4.5" Back-Spacing Rims
ARP Extended Studs
NovusTech 15MM Front&10MM Rear Spacers.

Originally Posted by 2000crv sport
okay thanks more info would be great im trying to go for the mdx or bmw crossover look since nobody has done that yet but it takes money and time.... and i have a quad that breaks down .... so money is tight :p thanks for the reply and pictures would be great.
FYI a MDX is a Honda Pilot, there are Lift Kits out there for them.
http://www.readylift.com/c-198-honda...wd-20f10r.aspx
http://www.readylift.com/c-189-honda...wd-20f10r.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_MDX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Pilot
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not lifting a mdx im going too try make my crv look more like a bigger sports suv like a mdx
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update: i take my crv off road all the time and i have come to realize that stock strut mount bushings cannot hold up to the tension from the lift springs they get pushed right out. I went through a set of kyb and also a set of monroe bushings both blew out. So i did some research and ended up ordering the Energy Suspension Hyperflex bushing kit. They do not make one specifically for a crv but the one for a si is the exact same in part numbers from honda. ill post some pics soon!!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting. In for this.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by superfastb20a
update: i take my crv off road all the time and i have come to realize that stock strut mount bushings cannot hold up to the tension from the lift springs they get pushed right out. I went through a set of kyb and also a set of monroe bushings both blew out. So i did some research and ended up ordering the Energy Suspension Hyperflex bushing kit. They do not make one specifically for a crv but the one for a si is the exact same in part numbers from honda. ill post some pics soon!!!!
Nice post, glad to find it.
I've been searching everywhere for this kind of information, and found it here that give more detailed info. Thank You superfastb20a

I live in Indonesia so I don't have the luxury of getting the best support from the seller/modifiers. I wanted to lift my 2nd Gen CRV about 2"-3", is it possible?

Every modifier have their own opinion, but most common one is to have it lifted with Spacers or Spring and Shock replacement.

since i'm newbie in this area, can you let me know the specification / size of the shocks and springs you use? so that I can inform this to the modifier.

one even say that you have to change the shock with the "long travel" type, any comment on this?

Thank you very much
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know the save thickness of the Rims Adaptor? I need to increase the offset of my standard Rims to accomodate bigger tires?
Or do I have to change my stock Rims with different back spacing?

thank you and Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Updates:

Just want to share

After some consideration, I finally lifted my CRV using metal spacers:

Rear Suspension Works:
Name:  RearSuspensionWorks.jpg
Views: 21476
Size:  99.9 KB

Front Suspension Works:
Name:  FrontSuspensionWorks.jpg
Views: 21166
Size:  119.0 KB

My Lifted CRV:
Name:  LiftedCRV.jpg
Views: 26654
Size:  81.0 KB

Things to watch out for during the lifting:
- Change the bolt on the suspension to longer bolts to accommodate the Spacer's height
- Adjust the front Brake Lines because of the added height will put stress on the current Brake Lines, I moved it a bit higher.

Things to do:
Get bigger tires to fit
I might lower the rear spacer a bit. right now it's a bit too high
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Trial User

hey there. i got a question and some help. im lifting my 2000 crv. i got into contact with tokico and they say they only make them for two wheel drive. is not your a alltime wheel drive ?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hi there. Do you have the measures of metal spacers? I need to lift my HR-V and i think that my suspension is the same of CR-V 1st generation.
thanks and best regards
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can make them as tall as you want them to be.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sticker Bomb
You can make them as tall as you want them to be.
I meant the measures of the holes if possible.

best regards
Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went ahead and ordered the 2" spacers from Colorado Mountain Rally. I will have a report here shortly when I install them if anyone cares to know.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrnicolas
I went ahead and ordered the 2" spacers from Colorado Mountain Rally. I will have a report here shortly when I install them if anyone cares to know.
I do! Looking forward to feedback - looking to lift my own and still researching options, listening to opinions etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to be using spacers on mine once I get my butt to making them.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they will be here on Thursday so I will probably lift it either Thursday afternoon or Friday. It all depends on if I can use my friends tire machine to mount my new tires to my new wheels
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrnicolas
they will be here on Thursday so I will probably lift it either Thursday afternoon or Friday. It all depends on if I can use my friends tire machine to mount my new tires to my new wheels
Awesome.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is safe to use this:

instead of this:

thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member