Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker wiring

Is anyone familiar with how the front speakers are wired in a 2002 CR-V. I have no sound coming out of my front right speaker and tweeter. I'm trying to avoid ripping everything apart to rewire the speaker from scratch. I'm just trying to find where the wire is damaged but I will re-wire the whole thing if I have to. It's winter, I don't have a garage so I'm just looking for a quick fix for now.

Where do the wires run from the factory harness? Do the run from the harness through the dash to the door speaker and then to the tweeter in the dash or do they run through the tweeter first and then to the door speaker? That will help me narrow down where the wire is damaged. If the speaker wires go to the tweeter first, then the damaged wire is somewhere between the pin in the harness and the tweeter. If the wires run to the door speaker first and then to the tweeter then the bad wire is between the door speaker and the tweeter in. Obviously I'm going to have to rewire a bit, but I'm trying to make it as easily as possible.

Regarding the tweeters in the dash.Are they mounted from underneath, of does the little speaker grill just pop out and come out that way.

Thanks in advance guys.!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: Speaker wiring

1. Check that the balance and fader adjustments are centered. If they are centered, then either the speakers are disconnected, blown, or the head unit is a problem.

2. The RF speaker wires Grn/Yel (+) and Gry/Red (-) come from the audio unit to a 13P White connector (located under the passenger side dash, next to the blower motor).

From the 13P white connector, the wires branch off to the right tweeter (Lt Grn/Blk (+) and Pnk/Blk (-)) and the right front door speaker (Grn/Yel (+) and Gry/Red (-).

3. To access the tweeter connection, the tweeter grille and tweeter are first removed as an assembly. Just carefully pry/up the tweeter grille to release the retaining clips, the tweeter will be attached to the grille. Then disconnect the 2P harness connector from the tweeter. These are the Honda accessory install instructions for LX to add tweeter; but, you'll see how the tweeter grille retaining clips looks.

http://handa-accessories.com/crv/02CRVTWEETER.pdf
Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks tech8, that is great! I bought the CR-V a month ago. I had a cheap JVC after market head unit in it. I have a new Kenwood head unit on the way to me. The right front speakers have not worked since I have had it, so I figured the JVC deck was just hacked in to the factory wires, but the previous owner actually used an aftermarket harness when he installed it.

Balance and fader controls are fine, it was the first thing I checked, so the wiring is the next thing to check. I will pull out the multimeter and see if I can figure out where the bad wire is now that I have a better idea of how it is wired.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

The 13P white harness connector will be located near a 6P Lt Blu harness connector.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixed it. Whoever owned it before, at some point they hacked into the factory harness, patched it back together and used wire loom on It and actually made it look like new from the outside. Sometime after that, they used an aftermarket harness so I figured the factory harness was never cut into. After pulling it apart today (finally warm enough outside to pick at it) I saw the wires were spliced back together very poorly. I soldered them back together and taped them all up. Works like a charm.