Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Too much oil in 1998 CRV...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much oil in 1998 CRV...

Forgive me if I sound mad but i am so F*()#%&**$(*@$)#* pissed right now.

I changed the oil in my 1998 CRV last week. Has 158K miles. In the past week, I've had to do a lot of driving so I put an additional 750 miles, traffic and highway. On a whim, I checked the oil today and saw that it had WAY too much oil in it, maybe as much as a quart. As is turns out, when I changed my oil, I did it in the driveway (which has an incline) and since I had them out do the other cars, drove it up my ramps (more incline). So when I checked the oil on the combined inclines, my oil appeared perfect. God F********* D******.

Last time I drove, I could've sworn I heard a slight puttering sound when driving, and I noticed the underside is wet but not dripping with oil.

Any ideas on what the F*** I just did? I did a search and read that the bearings could fry if you have too much oil, which infuriates me because that is exactly what killed the 90 Accord in my pic. I also read that it could cause various leaks. I am so close to donating both the f****ers and giving up on Honda. Any advice?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:33 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Too much oil in 1998 CRV...

So you are giving up on Honda because you improperly filled the crankcase? Seems logical.

Anyways, what happens in a severe oil overfill situation is the crankshaft is still sitting in oil when the engine is running. This is a problem as the counterweights splash through the oil and cause tons of air bubbles due to the fast revolutions of the crankshaft.

When the oil becomes aerated, the pump is not designed to handle this and your engine can lose oil pressure. As more of these cycles goes on, the oil gets hotter and hotter only adding to the problem. Eventually you wind up in an oil starvation mode and smoke some bearings.

I have seen engines so overfilled, it actually something similar to a hydro lock. Leaks can happen in a few different ways. Not all seals on the engine are designed to hold back a wall of oil. The other aspect is increased oil slinging combined with crankcase pressures which could result in more oil mist escaping the engine. If your PCV system is working properly, then the engine could be ingesting an oil mist, causing a misfire. Pulling the spark plugs will tell you more.

All of these symptoms and more can happen in ANY vehicle that is over filled with oil. Some other engines take it much worse than Hondas. My suggestion is to drain out some oil, and fill it to the proper level. Clean the engine bay and underneath of all oil with a pressure washer. See how the engine is running after that. If you are uncertain on how to do an oil change properly, I highly recommend you take it to a professional oil change place. Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I've changed my oil for 20 years and never had an issue except for this, which is why I'm pissed at myself. Having a possible bearing issue in both of my Hondas is frustrating, thank you so much for being understanding and not being sarcastic about it.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKLASAL
Thanks for the info. I've changed my oil for 20 years and never had an issue except for this, which is why I'm pissed at myself. Having a possible bearing issue in both of my Hondas is frustrating, thank you so much for being understanding and not being sarcastic about it.
One quart is a lot, but if it's any consolation many Honda technicians overfill the VTEC variants of the B family motors by .25 - .5 quarts because they like to burn oil. A full quart in excess will probably not kill the engine.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Helpppp honda crv 1998 problem to power supply of fuel pump.

Hello guys please help me!
i have a problem with the power supply of the fuel pump. I changed main relay, but still didn't work . I want to start it but the pump doesn't go. In what i read it said something about a fuse 46 that may be broken. Please tell me what do you think. Thank you and sorry about off thread but i din't know how to start my own.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Trial User

When i connected the pump directlly to the battery (+) it started. But still i don't know the problem. Please help.

Last edited by Laurithaangel; 01-23-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Help
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Laurithaangel
Hello guys please help me!
i have a problem with the power supply of the fuel pump. I changed main relay, but still didn't work . I want to start it but the pump doesn't go. In what i read it said something about a fuse 46 that may be broken. Please tell me what do you think. Thank you and sorry about off thread but i din't know how to start my own.
Originally Posted by Laurithaangel
When i connected the pump directlly to the battery (+) it started. But still i don't know the problem. Please help.
You create your own thread about your problem.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL !!!