Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

driver window wont go go down

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:17 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver window wont go go down

2005 Honda CR-V drivers window wont go down, sudden onset.
All other windows work from master switch.
I replaced the master switch but it did not fix the problem.
Is there a relay I should check, or is regulator replacement the next step?
Old 09-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: driver window wont go go down

This happened to me, water got in the master switch shorting it AND the regulator internally.

If I were in your position I would supply power and ground to the regulator and see if it moves. You can either put power through the switch (bypassing it) or take the door panel off and do it directly.

Hope you didn’t blow money on a switch you didn’t need.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you already do the switch recall fix?

My window broke twice, the first around 100K miles, it was the regulator.

The second time a pinch weld in the track let loose around 130K. Drilled a hole, put a bolt through it and it worked since. I frequently park on the side of the road and in ditches so the door slams closed a ton and it just didn't hold up internally.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Occidentalis
Did you already do the switch recall fix?

My window broke twice, the first around 100K miles, it was the regulator.

The second time a pinch weld in the track let loose around 130K. Drilled a hole, put a bolt through it and it worked since. I frequently park on the side of the road and in ditches so the door slams closed a ton and it just didn't hold up internally.
Hey could you explain how the weld broke and how you fixed it? I have a 99 CRV where the window currently will not go down. I have checked the motor, switch and fuse and none of them appear to be faulty. I'm considering that this could be the issue.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRV-Dadmobile
Hey could you explain how the weld broke and how you fixed it? I have a 99 CRV where the window currently will not go down. I have checked the motor, switch and fuse and none of them appear to be faulty. I'm considering that this could be the issue.
A picture would have been a good idea at the time, that's my bad. This is for an 06, which may be very different than yours but basically what happened was one of the pieces where it crosses is pinch / tack welded together. It was loose and you could hear it in the door. Where the two crossed we drilled a hole and just bolted the two back in place. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful .
Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Occidentalis
A picture would have been a good idea at the time, that's my bad. This is for an 06, which may be very different than yours but basically what happened was one of the pieces where it crosses is pinch / tack welded together. It was loose and you could hear it in the door. Where the two crossed we drilled a hole and just bolted the two back in place. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful .
Hey no worries. However I am having trouble picturing it so I just wanted to ask. Are you talking about the track that the window slides up and down on or where it sits on top of the regulator? From what you said all I can picture is a bolt through the scissor mechanism on the regulator.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It has been a while but if you look in this video around 8 minutes they show the metal guts - I think it is all the regulator part. There are little cross parts on the main metal bar that lead to what I think are bolt mounting points. One of those separated and you could hear the loose parts clunking around in the door.

https://youtu.be/m2GqNoniV2c