Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

disc brake conversion on 1st gen crv?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: disc brake conversion on 1st gen crv?

Soooo.....what happened? Lose interest again? Or out of funds? This is what I've been waiting for......
Old 07-02-2015, 08:33 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am very sorry and do apologize... Yes, I did lose some interest (plus life got in the way) and hadn't touched much in quite a few weeks. I did say before that I was sharing information a little prematurely anyways... Soo, with that being said, I do have some news to share!

I decided to get with an engineer and have a CAD drawing made with the G-code to CNC out the brackets. However the E-brake adapters will still be made by me to try and keep it cost effective. Once I get the trial CNC bracket made (I have a few prototypes I made), I will have a better price point & time frame for you guys. The more people that get on board the cheaper it will be, so far I have only had a couple committed. I am not trying to get rich, but I am not going to lose money either.

I have come across a few issues in factory caliper bracket design though. There are dimensional differences on some of the brackets I have purchased. All this will be gone over in my instructional write-up. I will not be supplying the brake lines either. I made a set and it just isn't cost effective when there are readily available parts that can be ordered. I will allow those not interested in the E-brake working to purchase only the conversion brackets. I will also let hardware & powder coating be an option as well. Makes it easier on me anways.

So unfortunately that is all I have for right now. I am basically waiting on the machine shop at this point. Due to limited interest, my first batch run will probably only be 10 kits. I don't feel like sitting on them forever. I am back at it; I promise I will update when I have more information available. Thank you for your patience!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm interest in both. I plan to purchase a 1st gen in the future. Keep me in the loop. Will this work for both awd and 2wd?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:32 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Yes, the reason is Honda kept the rear ends exactly the same between models. Cost effective measures no doubt (back when they cared). So the 2WD versions use axle stubs to fill in where the rear axle would normally go. Most other models turned to spindles for the rear. Makes it MUCH easier to go from 2WD to 4WD or vica versa.

AWD

Honda Automotive Parts

FWD Part #44

Honda Automotive Parts
Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Fish Twig

Awesome.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait
Old 07-21-2015, 12:02 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

This isn't really an update, more like venting frustration and keeping you guys in the loop. If the machine shop tells me "next Tuesday" one more time.... GGRRRR!!! Summer is more than midway through and my pig is still sitting on jack stands because of this conversion alone. I have been told one more week for like 5 weeks now and unfortunately I am at their mercy.

Hopefully soon I will have something for you guys... I have quite a bit of time and money wrapped up in the project at this point. As it sits it is just a waiting game unfortunately, although I am constantly hounding them. On a complete side note, some of my other CRV design projects are starting to move a little although one I highly doubt anyone wants to pay for = $,$$$ but it's all good.

I already learned my lesson about sharing information prematurely, so sorry for being vague... LOL!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:25 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

So a very minor update... I finally received the prototype CNC bracket. Was able to test it out. Minor adjustments are needed, but definitely nothing major. So hopefully I will get a better time frame sooner than later. The revisions are ready for my engineer and they should be able to rock out the brackets... dare I say... rather quickly..?..? LOL, we shall see. Just figured I would let you guys know what's going on. Unfortunately no prices still at this time, but keep saving your pennies because the bracket's cost won't be your main concerns anyways.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are they willing to make replacas? Of course if they are, you'll be getting a cut as well. Let us know!!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:19 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

What do you mean by replicas? As in copies of the CNC'd bracket? Well sure LOL! That's my whole goal and why I got with my engineer buddy to do it for me. The problem is, they took almost 2 months to make one simple bracket which sucks and some measurements were off to top it off. They lured me in with the whole "first one is free" so I paid nothing for the intial CNC prototype.

I can make the brackets by hand, but it took waay too much time to get the quality I want if my name is tied to it. The e-brake cable adapters are the compromises - just WAY too costly to have machined unfortunately. Those would be probably triple what the brackets cost if not more.

I had hand made a set of brackets for myself months ago. I could have had this conversion running all summer. The issue I am having is trying to share my hard work with everyone else. This has forced me to have my CRV sit on jackstands all summer waiting on other people so I can test fit without continously pressing bearings on and off. I have already learned with my OEM ones that about after 2 times they loose their snug interference fit. I don't feel like buying new wheel bearings yet again LOL!

Now I know why there are soo many one off things made. People get burned out after a while and things take forever. Too many middlemen involved and costs ramp up because of it. That's why I abused a few companies return policies buying and trying all kinds of parts. The beauty of the whole thing is there will be many options for everyone out there so it can fit each budget... maybe. I need to put together a cost list for everything from scratch, but be for warned, there will be some sticker shock.

I am genuinely sorry it is taking so long. Definitely is getting old, but it's been out of my hands for a while now. I guess I could just try and go somewhere else, but I would definitely burn some bridges in a very bad way. I have a few other projects in the books at this time with them too...
Old 08-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, nah you're good bro. Thank you for all your hard work....seriously! I'm sure everyone else appreciates it as well. I'm in no rush right now since my V was just stolen and has yet to be found. I'm thinking it's going to be found stripped of everything. It's a damn good thing I didn't put my new suspension in, and my newly built motor. I'll wait to see what you've come up with and will be following this thread closely. Again....thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, any updates?
Old 12-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good friend back home did the conversion.. one off made piece, even i couldnt get hands of the kit,
may be it that hard to modify it and test... install and test...repeat!
i told him, ill buy off the kit he's using but wouldnt said yes..LOL!

idk if you could get some ideas from this pic, but anything to get this kit going helps....

Name:  crv%20rear%20disc_zpspm1xsbow.jpg
Views: 8931
Size:  21.7 KB

im hoping i could get a set this holiday, i have couple of family members going back home, i asked
my friend if he could rush a set.. or what he is using(LOL) so he dont have to ship it here, itll be included
in my family's checked in baggage...
Old 12-13-2015, 06:18 AM
Fish Twig

That actually looks nice. What ebrake cable did he use?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:48 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by qwrty

It doesn't look like the pads are seated all the way... Seems to be typical with people who attempt this setup. However, I do like that the splash shields were used in that setup. It's very hard to tell from the quality of the picture, but it looks like the e-brake isn't utilized on this setup?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:50 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

OK, finally... some actual updates. Very, very, very loooong story short - I got screwed over. A few bridges were burned in the process. Starting over sucks. I was able to get another drawing made of the bracket. The quote just came in today as the company closed. So basically as long as I pay them upfront tomorrow, the brackets will be around 2 weeks out so they said. They will not be CNC made as it is MUCH too expensive.

I am not using (ex)friends this time around, but rather a business. As a result of this, the cost will be much higher for me to get them made. My goal was never to make a ton of money on this, but definitely not to lose money either. The problem is, the interest has been EXTREMELY low and it makes pricing very difficult to recoup my money. I have tons of time and money involved in this project...

However, I do apologize for the extreme wait... I will no longer be interested in making the billet transfer case or the Phantom Grip style rear differential upgrade at this point in time. I have my prototypes of those, but those dreams of manufacturing those are crushed due to bad business practice by people.

So, with all that being said, I will hopefully have a For Sale ad up shortly after I get them and at least a basic Write-Up with a parts list. Just wanted to add that I have had this setup driving for a few months now. It's more than just a rear brake swap...

**** THE MORE PEOPLE THAT MESSAGE ME, THE CHEAPER THE BRACKETS WILL BE!!! I ABSOLUTELY CAN'T ASSUME PEOPLE WANT THESE!!! ****

Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a 3d rendering of the bracket?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:55 AM
Fish Twig

damn..understood.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:03 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by Aggression
You have a 3d rendering of the bracket?
No. Like I said, starting over sucks.

Anyways, paid for the brackets today. They want to verify things before the mini production run, so I will get one prototype bracket to check things out hopefully before the weekend. We shall see...
Old 01-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome, still looking forward to seeing this.. im still interested
Old 01-15-2016, 05:04 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Will post more details later, but they are finally here!!! Limited quantity production.

https://honda-tech.com/sale-10/1997-.../#post50723203

Old 01-17-2016, 04:14 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Ok, Write-Up / Guide is done aside from one more picture I forgot to take.

If anyone is interested in this brake conversion and parts, send me a PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where can I find your write up please?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:18 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Privately Messaged you.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:46 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Icon2 Pictures

As I keep getting requests for them, here are pictures of the completed conversion from a few months ago. As you can see, full brake pad engagement as it should be. No BS misalignment issues and the E-brakes are fully functional. I assure you this kit has been put through the paces. I do apologize for the dirty parts, but in these pictures the kit has at least 1,000 miles on it.

Name:  Brake%20Conv%201_zpspsgxklne.jpg
Views: 9531
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  Brake%20Conv%202_zpsle4fyhuh.jpg
Views: 9253
Size:  296.0 KB

Name:  Brake%20Conv%203_zps18zq35kg.jpg
Views: 9242
Size:  255.9 KB

Quick Reply: disc brake conversion on 1st gen crv?